Zach Parise Info Thread

NJDF

my question is : when this terrific guy can play at the nhl level ?

gomez come so quick on "A-Team"... if this guy is far better why not think this guy can do the same thing ?

Difference is Gomez was drafted out of Juniors, whereas Parise just finished his freshman season at North Dakota. Very seldom do college players that young decide to make the transition.

Look for him to play at least another 2 years at UND. He may follow the fottsteps of Hale and forgoe his senior season, but that's too far down the line to speculate on.

Right now Parise is in college, Lou will see what he can do at training camp, but unlike Gomez, Parise cannot sign with the team and not make the Devils.

Because Gomez played Juniors he could go back to Tri City where he played instead of Albany.

With Parise, if he makes the Devils he does, but he can never go back to school and play. He would go to Albany if he doesnt make the team and signs. AIm not sure about his college commitment beyond next year, but i doubt him staying all 4 years.

Also wha tneeds to be factored in is the CBA, it may be better for him to stay in school so he does not miss any time if there is indeed a strike. That would be his Junior year, and could only help his development if there is a strike.

Here is a great Quote by Lou about how excited they are to have Zach

"We didn't even know we'd have a chance at him," said Lamoriello to TSN. "We didn't even have a name tag for him. So we're delighted."

No wonder they traded up.

Here is a great Quote by Lou about how excited they are to have Zach

"We didn't even know we'd have a chance at him," said Lamoriello to TSN. "We didn't even have a name tag for him. So we're delighted."

No wonder they traded up.

of course we will never know, but I'd be interested in knowing who Lou was expecting to have available, and who he had name tags for. (assuming he must have had several)

Michael Farber, CNN/SI:

The Devils made one of the savviest moves of the first round by trading up to get Zach Parise when they realized he would still be available at No. 17. New Jersey waited on him, identified its need, move up a little bit and got a guy who will just be great there. A move like is just so typical of Lou Lamoriello's team and it shows you why they are the best organization.

Couldn't agree more!!

GO DEVILS!!

It was so funny; I was watching the draft on tape. I had intended to go here and get a thumbnail on everything but I couldn't get on the computer so I went and watched the tape and poor Pierre McGuire was beside himself that nobody picked this kid Parise. Then my jaw drops when Lou trades up. First cause I didn't expect it. Second cause I thought they might be picking this kid. And boy was I laughing my a$$ off when they did and McGuire was all happy, saying over and over again about how this is why the Devils win year after year :lol: Lou was all happy too; I loved where he said we didn't even have a nametag for the kid cause we didn't figure he'd fall to us :D Sounds like a helluva pick too; any player with the NHL bloodlines already has a plus to start with. And 5'11 is NOT short by any stretch. We're not talking Brian Gionta short for crying out loud :P

Oh and one very underrated part of the trade: Lou didn't give up the farm to move up as so many other teams did. Florida gave up three picks including two second rounders to move up. The Sharks gave up three picks (including two high) to move up. The Devils only gave up one (other) pick to move up, a late second rounder. The Devs not only got great value for their pick but they got great value in the trade as well.

• 7 years later...