Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

I'm happy, Marty deserves to retire a Devil. Just outplaying lundquist makes this well-earned. When asked after that series what he was most happy about, besides his team, he was most happy for US FANS. He knows how much nyr sh!t we fans put up with on a daily basis. Of course now, it buys us 2 more years to get a goalie of the future.

Glad Brodeur is back. Seeing him play in another other uniform to finish out his career would have been devastating. Hiring the agent was a brilliant move on his part. For the first time in his career, Marty had no leverage when negotiating with the Devils. He needed the agent to create the buzz and get what he really wanted, which was apparently that second year. The cap hit is a little higher than he deserves, and I don't like giving a 2nd year for a 40 year old goalie, but this deal had to get made. It also means that he can't retire after this season because it would completely screw this team in 2013-14 as his cap hit would remain based upon the over 35 signing rule.

That second year is likely going to be spent mentoring and splitting time with Wedgewood and/or Kinkaid to take over for him the following season. This was my predicition of what would happen prior to the season, but I always assumed he would work off of 1 year deals.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Glad he's back. So maybe (I don't know what a similar goalie makes), he is overpaid by what $1million a year? Hardly a gross overpayment in today's sports. That million for 2 years is NOT going to impact Zach's status. Marty was great during the playoffs.

Marty is worth his weight in gold in many ways to this franchise. He may not be what he once was but his legend has value. Sometimes you pay to for things other than strictly performance. Marty left a lot of money on the table of the years. He's all about the love of the game. Good for him. I would have supported him either way.

It also means that he can't retire after this season because it would completely screw this team in 2013-14 as his cap hit would remain based upon the over 35 signing rule.

Was just thinking about that. If Marty decides that he's had enough after this season, that 35+ rule comes into play. If we're up against the cap and need more players, then it's bad. If we're struggling to stay afloat financially, then I guess having a cap hit that helps us reach the floor while not having to pay the player works to the team's advantage.

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

Marty loves this game too much to retire. The playoff run proved to HIM that he still has gas left in the tank and based on the way he played, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays beyond that in a reduced role to mentor his successor. Being paid large coin to do something you'd do for free is a gift, and he intends to maximize it. Good for you Marty....now call Zach and let's get this train moving again!

Come on now LD, you should be delighted he is back.

Marty bashing is 99% of your subject matter on here, if he left then what would you post about :noclue:

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

I think you need to check my posts if you think 99% of my post are about Marty this past year. If he retired I would have been OK with that. I didn't want him to go to another team for a year. And as I have said I didn't want a 2 year deal with him and IMO $4.5M is more than he is worth I would have liked $2.5-3 M and one year. He is 40 and injuries are happening. He didn't have a great year last season. In the playoffs he allowed a stoppable goal most every game but he kept us alive when our offence was sparse. He had Lou by the balls, Lou didn't have a starting goalie ready to go, shame on him.

My apologies 98%.

How does Lou sign a 40 year old goalie to a 2 year contract, but he doesn't give up the 1st round pick in the Kovalchuk circumvention this year? This could really, really hurt years down the road.

Chuck: The Devils aren't a cap team, Brodeur retiring has no effect on what the Devils would do financially or otherwise. I hope they front-loaded this contract so he does retire after this season.

and then not match poni....lou is losing it

My apologies 98%.

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

I do have to say that I have noticed LD hasn't posted as much about Marty this year as in years past.

:rolleyes: Never mind.

We are clearly keeping things serious around here today.

In that case:

Of course you would like that deal. Everyone on the board would like that deal over the one he got. But players don’t sign for their market value. Once players go UFA you always have to overpay.

Also who would you suggest as the ready to go replacement. Off the 2012 UFA list Marty is clearly the best Goaltender. So are you suggesting we trade assets and future depth in a trade? Because that long term looks like a worse option to me.

What does one have to do with the other?

The other silver lining to this is that we can close the door on the possibility of trading for Luongo.