GDT 3/19/13: NY Rags @ Devils

NJDEVS1730

Well what the hell can we do? Can't get on the ice and help them ourselves. Some people like to be more optimistic then others, so rehashed phrases like that will show up.

Did you hear the one about the optimist that jumped out of a 50 story building. As he fell past each floor he repeated to himself, "So far so good, So far so good."

A rusty brodeur will improve this team more than most people think. The biggest part of losing brodeur during this stretch is his ability to play the puck. Our system relies heavily on it. We were in first when he went down, now since moose took over we are in 9th. Coincidence? Definitely not. This game is on moose. Devils really controlled this game. I would say 70% of this game was being played in the devils favor. First goal was a joke of an attempt to play the puck by moose, 2nd was a fluky bounce off the boards, and the third was about as soft as it could get. I expect things to turn around come Thursday.

Well what the hell can we do? Can't get on the ice and help them ourselves. Some people like to be more optimistic then others, so rehashed phrases like that will show up.

Especially when they are true - that's when they tend to get repeated.  The Devils haven't been playing poorly over this stretch.  If they don't make the playoffs, so be it - it's a 48 game season and their goaltending isn't up to snuff.

Much better performance after that miserable showing versus Montreal. We outplayed the rags for much of the game and would have two points were it not for the queen. Great game from Harold and gionta, especially. Pesonen, however, is nowhere near an NHL player. Would like to see josefson back soon. Throw in healthy Zubie, poni, lokti and we have a very decent set of forwards.

My only concern is what happens to this team when they stop playing well. I guess they can't continue to shoot <7% at ES forever, but still. Zubie#8, I'm with you bud. No puck luck and I thought Lundqvist looked shaky

Edit- our record over the last 11 is indeed bad, but I read that we outshot our opponents in all those games. Of course part of it is being behind, but we're playing pretty well. Like Tri said: if we miss the playoffs it will be because of a short season, bad luck and bad goaltending. I still think we make it, but a top 14 pick in this draft isn't the worst thing

Edited by SMantzas

i really thought the guys played well honestly, they moved the puck well and had good breakouts and opportunities, the puck just wouldnt go in and Moose didnt do the key saves. That Nash goal and his play with the puck killed the game. And it's not as if its the first time this EXACT scenario happen. Team is playing well and Moose kill the momentum.

We we're first and Marty got hurt and got replaced by a guy who simply couldnt get the job done and Lou and Deboer decided to look away pretending it would just get better and it never did. 

On the bright side now we have a legit chance at the first overall pick, like... thats a fact, at this very moment we could land the first overall pick.

i really thought the guys played well honestly, they moved the puck well and had good breakouts and opportunities, the puck just wouldnt go in and Moose didnt do the key saves. That Nash goal and his play with the puck killed the game. And it's not as if its the first time this EXACT scenario happen. Team is playing well and Moose kill the momentum.

We we're first and Marty got hurt and got replaced by a guy who simply couldnt get the job done and Lou and Deboer decided to look away pretending it would just get better and it never did.

On the bright side now we have a legit chance at the first overall pick, like... thats a fact, at this very moment we could land the first overall pick.

I mean Moose has been pretty bad, but our offense has been dry too

I mean Moose has been pretty bad, but our offense has been dry too

agreed but how many one goal games we won last season? or actually during the last 20 years? 

obviously im not saying our offence is okay, we need more productions but the goaltending killed us. Everytime we had something going and good opportunities Moose would let in a softies on the counterattack, its killing the momentum we have every fvcking time.

We were, and are the better team. We lost, but our luck will turn around. We looked good in our losses to Philly, Montreal, and last night. I know that's not good enough, but it's better than what we saw a month ago (a losing team with all our players healthy that was playing horribly). Marty coming back will be a nice boost, and a big D-for-Offense trade would be nice..

As far as last night was concerned, I wouldn't put all the blame on Moose's shoulders. Our D's been awful, and he robbed a few shots that should've been goals almost immediately after the Rangers' 3rd goal. That would've made the rest of the game way more unbearable.

I'm not worried about the Rangers taking our 8th spot. Looking ahead, in a playoff series, we'd still beat them. What they did last night was play an absolutely desperate defensive scrambling game to scratch by and luckily get this ONE win, a win with almost all of their starters healthy and their "King". They won't win many more games like that down the stretch. 8th/7th place is ours for the taking, I think they'll have more trouble than we did holding it.

OMG so much hate towards Hedberg. We all knew he wasn't great at handling the puck and passing so when he has a problem we jump on him. Both he and Marty at times lets in softies and especially now when the defense is so so and the offense can't bury the puck. Hedberg has started more games than he ever has in the past but not with this type of tight schedule. So it is his fault the Devils are losing and out of the playoffs. It is terrible that Hedberg hasn't score a goal a game. Lets hope that Marty returns and with his stick handling ability will help the offense, maybe he can score goals. Marty also can help the defense with his stick handling and passing.

What happens if Marty is rusty? Should I buy a gun?

Does Lou trade Clarkson and send a negative message to Marty and the team  or does he lose him to Free Agency? Clarkson makes $3M and will want at least $5M. Is he still playing?

Lets Go Power Play units

Lets Go Devils

Hey guy , dont forget marty will be back, his attitude will change the locker room mood and on ice not only he is our best goaltender, his outside the net plays is awesome for our slow Def. Oh and loktionov will be back (best fit for Kovalchuk in my thought)

We need to score, we need to play hard and we need to BELIEVE!

I think the Moose hate is a little much. He's a career backup being forced into a starting role with a condensed schedule. He's going to have good and bad moments, and he had his share of both last night. Hopefully Marty's back can last the season and playoffs. If they miss this year, it'd be a shame but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think what I'm realizing is that next year could get very ugly if this pinched nerve thing is permanent.

Does anyone remember when Marty got hurt early last season against LA, and he said he aggravated an injury that he couldn't fix surgically? I wonder if this is related.

I think the Moose hate is a little much. He's a career backup being forced into a starting role with a condensed schedule. He's going to have good and bad moments, and he had his share of both last night. Hopefully Marty's back can last the season and playoffs. If they miss this year, it'd be a shame but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think what I'm realizing is that next year could get very ugly if this pinched nerve thing is permanent.

Does anyone remember when Marty got hurt early last season against LA, and he said he aggravated an injury that he couldn't fix surgically? I wonder if this is related.

Thank you, if he could only score goals like Clarkson has while Hedberg has been in goal.

Well even though it's not Hedberg's fault that he's put in that situation and that he's doing what he can (which is obviously not enough) it's up to the coaches and management to correct that before it's too late and they havent done anything to help the situation. Just like they havent replaced Zach and Sykora's production. 

If we start next season with the same duo it's a joke.

Well even though it's not Hedberg's fault that he's put in that situation and that he's doing what he can (which is obviously not enough) it's up to the coaches and management to correct that before it's too late and they havent done anything to help the situation. Just like they havent replaced Zach and Sykora's production. 

If we start next season with the same duo it's a joke.

Call Lou.  You have it all figured out.

Yeah, turned out Hedberg wasn't the guy this season to have to fill Marty's "start every game" shoes, and clearly having two goalies around 40 was risky, but what did you want Lou to do?  How were they supposed to "correct" this in-season?  Bring up Kinkaid or Frazee and give them a shot?  Maybe, but since neither one of them got that shot, I have to assume that DeBoer and Lou and others truly in the know didn't feel that either goalie would've gotten the job done.  If I am to guess, I am thinking someone younger will be backing up Marty next season, with a shot to start a significant number of games.  If anything, I think Lou knows that no matter how well Marty can still play at times and no matter what kind of shape Marty keeps himself in, he can't count on Marty staying healthy anymore.   

A Zach reference...who saw that coming?  Lou HIMSELF said you just don't replace a guy like Zach.  Yeah, it's going to hurt short-term.  But you're not always going to get instant-gratification moves and obvious replacements.  Sometimes the recovery efforts take time and patience.   

Call Lou.  You have it all figured out.

Yeah, turned out Hedberg wasn't the guy this season to have to fill Marty's "start every game" shoes, and clearly having two goalies around 40 was risky, but what did you want Lou to do?  How were they supposed to "correct" this in-season?  Bring up Kinkaid or Frazee and give them a shot?  Maybe, but since neither one of them got that shot, I have to assume that DeBoer and Lou and others truly in the know didn't feel that either goalie would've gotten the job done.  If I am to guess, I am thinking someone younger will be backing up Marty next season, with a shot to start a significant number of games.  If anything, I think Lou knows that no matter how well Marty can still play at times and no matter what kind of shape Marty keeps himself in, he can't count on Marty staying healthy anymore.   

A Zach reference...who saw that coming?  Lou HIMSELF said you just don't replace a guy like Zach.  Yeah, it's going to hurt short-term.  But you're not always going to get instant-gratification moves and obvious replacements.  Sometimes the recovery efforts take time and patience.   

Well that's Lou's job to figure it out not mine. But wtv he did or didnt do isnt working out. and i'd assume Lou said HIMSELF "you just CAN'T replace a guy like Zach." but it could be "Don't" cause thats clearly what he did... he didnt get anyone to at least try to fill that production from Zach and Sykora. It works to make small acquisition to patch things on trade deadline just to boost your team... but we lost a 30 and a  20 goals scorer and he simply didnt bring anyone that could come close to patch for that lack. It's a fact, he didnt. I guess he assumed Zajac's production since he's back would be enough, i guess he thought having like 6 4th line players should do to. 

Here's some Wednesday morning comedy:

Ilya Kovalchuk- 10 goals on 105 shots 9.5%

Patrik Elias- 9 goals on 70 shots 12.9%

David Clarkson- 11 goals on 111 shots 9.9%

Stephen Gionta- 3 goals on 35 shots 8.6%

Ryan Carter- 3 goals on 40 shots 7.5%

Travis Zajac- 5 goals on 55 shots 9.1%

Marek Zidlicky- 3 goals on 65 shots 4.6%

Poni- 1 goal on 28 shots 3.6 %

Matteau- 1 goal on 22 shots 4.5%