NHL Draft E-mail

Bartholomew Hunt

Adam,

As you probably would expect, there was an overwhelming response to our contest to win a pair of tickets to the 2013 NHL Draft™ at Prudential Center.  Although you were not a winner of tickets, being close to the action is a special feeling for any hockey fan.

Therefore, you are invited to join us for a spectacular 2013 NHL Draft™ Fan Fest presented by Stronger than the Storm that will take place on Championship Plaza beginning at 10:30am and running through 2:30pm.  The Fan Fest will feature appearances from Devils Alumni, music from the B Street Band, carnival rides, a Ferris wheel, interactive games, entertainment, food, as well as dual rinks on Mulberry Street hosting a street hockey tournament.  Local bars and eateries in the area will also be lined with Devils fans, as the Draft is shown on TVs.  Your Devils currently own the 9th overall selection! 

For the best parking options available on event day, please visit www.clickandpark.com.  

We hope to see you next Sunday as Newark hosts yet another marquee event! 

What a joke, you can't just buy tickets to the draft? Its not the superbowl, if you want fans to give a sh!t about the draft being in jersey make tickets accessible. They really want people to travel to newark, to stand in their half ass plaza for 9 dollars beers and corny bands just to have to go home right before the draft starts..... What an absolutely atrocious job by the devils. You can't even buy tickets on stubhub. As a die hard fan i would LOVE to spend my money on outrageously priced concessions inside the arena to see a draft where my team has the ninth pick, but apparently JVB and crew don't think that's a good idea. This e-mail is comical. They're trying to entice a grown man to come to downtown newark to ride a ferris wheel..... Jesus christ. Are they trying to get people to bring their kids there? Lets see, Newark or LBI and Point Pleasant, for carnival rides and a bar to watch it on tv.... Just a piss poor job by this organization to give the fans what they want.

What do you want them to do, add a third deck to the arena so you can sit there?

Haha seriously, I got the same email but oh well, obviously there isn't enough space in the arena for everybody.  The complaint about the ferris wheel cracked me up too, like they're going to sort through every person on the email list to see who might be interested in the ferris wheel and only send that part to those people.  :lol:

What a joke, you can't just buy tickets to the draft? Its not the superbowl, if you want fans to give a sh!t about the draft being in jersey make tickets accessible. They really want people to travel to newark, to stand in their half ass plaza for 9 dollars beers and corny bands just to have to go home right before the draft starts..... What an absolutely atrocious job by the devils. You can't even buy tickets on stubhub. As a die hard fan i would LOVE to spend my money on outrageously priced concessions inside the arena to see a draft where my team has the ninth pick, but apparently JVB and crew don't think that's a good idea. This e-mail is comical. They're trying to entice a grown man to come to downtown newark to ride a ferris wheel..... Jesus christ. Are they trying to get people to bring their kids there? Lets see, Newark or LBI and Point Pleasant, for carnival rides and a bar to watch it on tv.... Just a piss poor job by this organization to give the fans what they want.

Has my vote for worst complaint of the day. Cry somewhere else please.

• Like 1

10,000 season ticket holders guaranteed at least two tickets to the draft at a first come first serve basis with aprox. 11,000 tickets available...obviously not enough for the general public. Were you really this surprised?  :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8

I said it in the other thread, I feel terrible for fans who really want to go but didn't get tix.. I wish everyone could get in the building and enjoy the event together, but it simply wasn't possible..

You can't argue that STH shouldn't have received first dibs on getting tix.. You have to reward your most loyal fans committing several grand and 44 games to the team..

Even if they did a general sale, there would still be an outcry from people who weren't able to score tix.. Not only that, but some of the buyers in that sale would have been Rangers, islanders, and Flyers fans (potentially some avid Pens, Bruins, and Caps fans too) so there would have been huge complaints that those fans purchased seats away from Devils fans

You have every right to be bummed out but please, let's stop with everyone who didn't get tix complaining that there should have been some system that allowed THEM to get tickets.. Go to the Fan Fest, be a part of a great event, and then watch at a bar with fellow fans.. Or stay home and enjoy it

Colin when you say stuff like STHers are the most loyal, it really makes you look like a dope. Just bc you can afford season tix doesn't make you a better fan.

Other teams fans are winning lotto tix so devil's fans are being shut out like ir or not. And I a agree with ghdi in the other thread let the draft be a reward for sthers not 4 tix for every sth who wants them.

Colin when you say stuff like STHers are the most loyal, it really makes you look like a dope. Just bc you can afford season tix doesn't make you a better fan.

Other teams fans are winning lotto tix so devil's fans are being shut out like ir or not. And I a agree with ghdi in the other thread let the draft be a reward for sthers not 4 tix for every sth who wants them.

The difference is that the season ticket holders put thousands of dollars down plus (potentially) 44 games of concessions and merchandise.

It's not about who a better fan is. They can't give tickets out based on who thinks they are better fans.

You're argument is essentially that you think you deserve to go because you want it more than other people. It's an incredibly childish view.

• Like 1

And by putting them on-sale to the public, how would that prevent non-devil fans from getting them? A public sale would have been awful with only 500 tickets available. Factor in thousands of people trying at once plus ticket agency's using their bots, very few people would have gotten them just like the lottery and more would be for sale through other avenues.

Think of this financially from the devils perspective. Have a random lottery where thousands of contacts are made or put them for sale for $20 a ticket to the public. If out of those thousands of lottery entrants if 100 of them sign up for seasons or a partial plan it's already way better then a public on sale financially.

Sigh. Season ticket holders should get first dibs just not 4 or 6 tickets when regular people don't have a realistic shot at one. I'm not saying I have to go bc I deserve it, I just think regular people should've gotten a more fair shot.

And I know its not about whos a better fan, I was just there talking about colin saying sthers are more loyal which may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on these boards. I just wish regular people wouldve gotten a more realistic chance and sthers shouldn't have been eligible for the lottery

Sigh. Season ticket holders should get first dibs just not 4 or 6 tickets when regular people don't have a realistic shot at one. I'm not saying I have to go bc I deserve it, I just think regular people should've gotten a more fair shot.

And I know its not about whos a better fan, I was just there talking about colin saying sthers are more loyal which may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on these boards. I just wish regular people wouldve gotten a more realistic chance and sthers shouldn't have been eligible for the lottery

This. Let me be clear. I'm going to the draft. I've not been complaining about STH or what they're entitled to for being essentially the team's white blood cells, whom without the franchise would not succeed.

The Devils made a mistake IMO in making the tickets a guarantee rather than an incentive espc with the lack of seating to begin with. Had they provided a choice between draft tickets and other options there would be more tickets available to the non-STHs that really want to go even if it was only 100 tickets, thats still 100 more and there would be less fleecing going on in the secondary market. Instead, STH's whether they really wanted to go or not all request tickets simply because there's been no value placed on the tickets by the team. Had a person less likely to go to the draft had a choice, they'd have incentive not to click yes on a ticket request b/c they may have valued another option more. So now, there's a good # of tickets that have been gobbled up simply because they could.

Its also folly to complain about fans of other teams getting in. Its a league event. It sucks to say it, but even Rangers etc. fans have a right to attend. Thats actually one of the best things about a draft. You get a variety of fans in there. One of the best parts of watching a draft is when they show the audience and fans of a team picking are getting angry or excited.

Just b/c of it being one day and the seating arrangements, people were bound to be left out, but at the very least the STH's who arent all that interested to begin with would have a choice and would still get a benefit that those who wanted to go the draft got. I guarantee you, there will be empty seats at the draft from STH's who took tickets just b/c they could but have no real desire of going in the first place b/c not all will sell them or give them away and there will be even more who leave right after the first Devils pick. 

Edited by ghdi

I guarantee you, there will be empty seats at the draft from the STH's who took tickets just b/c they could but have no real desire of going in the first place.

There's no real way to know though, considering people will be moving back and forth between hanging out at the seating area and the arena activities and bars around the neighborhood. I know I will.

Edited by DJ Eco

There's no real way to know though, considering people will be moving back and forth between hanging out at the seating area and the arena activities and bars around the neighborhood. I know I will.

Sure, I get that, but its besides the point. Its just a potential negative ramification from the Devils mistake in the way this whole event's ticketing has been handled. The Fan Fest also starts at 10am. Theres going to be another group of people who get there early and with the draft starting at 3pm, the Devils first pick won't happen until almost 6 hours after the entire event really began. That's already a long day for some, and espc with it being a Sunday, people have to work the next day and all. 

I don't agree with the ones who have said "this is the best they could do" because its far from the actuality. They could've done quite a few things to alleviate the backlash they're receiving from not only their own fans, but fans of other teams that wanted a better chance to attend as well. Obviously, other teams fans being angry is even lesser of an issue, but they have every right to attend an NHL event. 

Edited by ghdi

Sure, I get that, but its besides the point. Its just a potential negative ramification from the Devils mistake in the way this whole event's ticketing has been handled. The Fan Fest also starts at 10am. Theres going to be another large group of people who get there very early and with the draft starting at 3pm, the Devils first pick won't happen until almost 6 hours after the entire event really began. That's already a long day for some, and espc with it being a Sunday, people have to work the next day and all.

I don't agree with the ones who have said "this is the best they could do" because its far from the actuality. They could've done quite a few things to alleviate the backlash they're receiving from not only their own fans, but fans of other teams that wanted a better chance to attend as well. Obviously, other teams fans being angry is even lesser of an issue, but they have every right to attend an NHL event.

Why would the devils worry or care if other teams fans get tickets? Their goal is to try to satisfy their own fans which with the limited seating is impossible for this event. One would think they guaranteed all sth tix because of the lock out and as a way of saying thanks for letting us hold onto your money.

Why would the devils worry or care if other teams fans get tickets? Their goal is to try to satisfy their own fans which with the limited seating is impossible for this event. One would think they guaranteed all sth tix because of the lock out and as a way of saying thanks for letting us hold onto your money.

You don't get my point. STH should be the first catered to which Ive not seen anyone argue against, I'm not taking issue with that AT ALL. But with making the tickets a guarantee they end up guaranteeing tickets to STH's that don't really want to go. I get that its impossible to read minds of everyone or assume that not everyone would go or not.

And the Devils have no incentive to get fans of other teams in, unless the NHL has rules regarding accessibility "chances". The nature and set up of this event guarantees that someone is going to be left out.

Here's what I would've done. The 2013 Draft Benefit. Pick between guaranteed NHL Draft tickets or an exclusive catered dinner night with the team at the goal bar or a $30 gift card to the Den or seats in the 100 level to a selection of concerts or X (other ideas). Even if it was only one option, it doesnt matter. Does anyone really believe that every STH would all choose draft tickets over other possibilities?

Instead by guaranteeing Draft Tickets and no choice, no matter the interest level of the STH, they're going to take them. I dont blame them for that. The limitations in seating and time constraints of the draft itself are issues that at the very least could've been alleviated even if a small # to allow more tickets for the general public and other people that wanted to attend. The way it is now, the Devils did not do the best they could've. 

Edited by ghdi

You don't get my point. STH should be the first catered to which Ive not seen anyone argue against, I'm not taking issue with that AT ALL. But with making the tickets a guarantee they end up guaranteeing tickets to STH's that don't really want to go. I get that its impossible to read minds of everyone or assume that not everyone would go or not.

And the Devils have no incentive to get fans of other teams in, unless the NHL has rules regarding accessibility "chances". The nature and set up of this event guarantees that someone is going to be left out.

Here's what I would've done. The 2013 Draft Benefit. Pick between guaranteed NHL Draft tickets or an exclusive catered dinner night with the team at the goal bar or a $30 gift card to the Den or seats in the 100 level to a selection of concerts or X (other ideas). Even if it was only one option, it doesnt matter. Does anyone really believe that every STH would all choose draft tickets over other possibilities?

Instead by guaranteeing Draft Tickets and no choice, no matter the interest level of the STH, they're going to take them. I dont blame them for that. The limitations in seating and time constraints of the draft itself are issues that at the very least could've been alleviated even if a small # to allow more tickets for the general public and other people that wanted to attend. The way it is now, the Devils did not do the best they could've. 

Your sugestion isn't a bad one at all, but it has some flaws from the Devils end.  The problems with your suggestion are that (a) the team already offers STH's various meet and greet events with the players (when they decide to actually hold them), plus they would be required to spend money on the dinners for the fans that took that option that they don't have to spend right now, (b) the restaurant only holds a certain number of people that couldn't possibly accomodate 1 seating of the fans that would choose that option, so you would need to hold it at least twice or force the excess fans into other options leaving those fans upset so they could complain about it on forums such as this, and © the Devils would have to buy the tickets to the concert from the promoter (unless DAE was the promoter of the concerts it chose to offer as an incentive), meaning it is again paying out money it doesn't have to spend now.  The gift card option would probably cost them the least amount of money, but I think a lot of the people that took their draft tickets would still have passed on the gift card as an option because it's not enough of an incentive.

At the end of the day, the team couldn't possibly make everyone happy.  And not every STH took the tickets (if they did, there wouldn't possibly have been enough tickets for the STH's alone, let alone anyne else).  They did the right thing by appeasing their STH's, who (whether some people on this board like it or not) are the life blood of this team.  STH's are not necessarily better fans, but their thousands of dollar spent every year matter to this team, so they decided to reward the STH's for that. 

Your sugestion isn't a bad one at all, but it has some flaws from the Devils end.  The problems with your suggestion are that (a) the team already offers STH's various meet and greet events with the players (when they decide to actually hold them), plus they would be required to spend money on the dinners for the fans that took that option that they don't have to spend right now, (b) the restaurant only holds a certain number of people that couldn't possibly accomodate 1 seating of the fans that would choose that option, so you would need to hold it at least twice or force the excess fans into other options leaving those fans upset so they could complain about it on forums such as this, and © the Devils would have to buy the tickets to the concert from the promoter (unless DAE was the promoter of the concerts it chose to offer as an incentive), meaning it is again paying out money it doesn't have to spend now.  The gift card option would probably cost them the least amount of money, but I think a lot of the people that took their draft tickets would still have passed on the gift card as an option because it's not enough of an incentive.

At the end of the day, the team couldn't possibly make everyone happy.  And not every STH took the tickets (if they did, there wouldn't possibly have been enough tickets for the STH's alone, let alone anyne else).  They did the right thing by appeasing their STH's, who (whether some people on this board like it or not) are the life blood of this team.  STH's are not necessarily better fans, but their thousands of dollar spent every year matter to this team, so they decided to reward the STH's for that. 

The idea for other options that I presented are merely that, an idea that I came up with quickly and with no research. Certainly something unique (as the draft is) could've been provided for as a choice. I also understand the costs argument, but c'mon. This is not the Union Bar League Devils. This is a multimillion dollar business. If there are 10000 STHs and 8000 took draft tickets, even if 20% chose a different option, thats still a healthy amount of tickets freed up. I have no idea the # of STHs. It's also not something that would be year to year. Lets not forget the large amount of corporate STHers that are total casual fans. I don't think the cost argument is very strong. It wouldnt be recurring and something that comes up every year. And there are ways to make a meet a greet event unique. Not one exactly like some of the ones that STHs are already privy to. The Devils took the easy route (and cheapest) in respect to the draft's ticketing. The point is that there are undoutedly ideas that a marketing team could've come up with that would be an attractive option for STHers opening up more tickets for everyone. I get your point, but it's impossible to get into the minds of all the STHs and know exactly what they would've wanted provided there was a choice. There was no choice. The Devils also made a mistake providing STHers with the opportunity to take more tickets and quite a few of them have, I dont blame them. But they shouldve given the STHer a choice. Take free draft tickets with the guarantee of 1 for every seat in your contract or choose from X, Y, or Z. If you want to go to the draft, you're guaranteed a ticket. If you're not all that interested, here's something to replace that benefit. It's a one-time extra since the draft is not going to be here again anytime soon. 

No way could they appease everyone espc with this events unavoidable limitations in seating, but there were ways they could've give the STHs a benefit pleasing them and at least attempt to free up as many tickets as possible so that more could attend. The Devils chose the easiest way to handle this. 

Anyway, I apologize to those that may be tired of seeing this opinion. The horse is now dead and it is what it is and nothing can be changed. I hope everyone enjoys the draft and those that want to go, get to. 

Edited by ghdi

The idea for other options that I presented are merely that, an idea that I came up with quickly and with no research. Certainly something unique (as the draft is) could've been provided for as a choice. I also understand the costs argument, but c'mon. This is not the Union Bar League Devils. This is a multimillion dollar business. If there are 10000 STHs and 8000 took draft tickets, even if 20% chose a different option, thats still a healthy amount of tickets freed up. I have no idea the # of STHs. It's also not something that would be year to year. Lets not forget the large amount of corporate STHers that are total casual fans. I don't think the cost argument is very strong. It wouldnt be recurring and something that comes up every year. And there are ways to make a meet a greet event unique. Not one exactly like some of the ones that STHs are already privy to. The Devils took the easy route (and cheapest) in respect to the draft's ticketing. The point is that there are undoutedly ideas that a marketing team could've come up with that would be an attractive option for STHers opening up more tickets for everyone. I get your point, but it's impossible to get into the minds of all the STHs and know exactly what they would've wanted provided there was a choice. There was no choice. The Devils also made a mistake providing STHers with the opportunity to take more tickets and quite a few of them have, I dont blame them. But they shouldve given the STHer a choice. Take free draft tickets with the guarantee of 1 for every seat in your contract or choose from X, Y, or Z. If you want to go to the draft, you're guaranteed a ticket. If you're not all that interested, here's something to replace that benefit. It's a one-time extra since the draft is not going to be here again anytime soon. 

No way could they appease everyone espc with this events unavoidable limitations in seating, but there were ways they could've give the STHs a benefit pleasing them and at least attempt to free up as many tickets as possible so that more could attend. The Devils chose the easiest way to handle this. 

Anyway, I apologize to those that may be tired of seeing this opinion. The horse is now dead and it is what it is and nothing can be changed. I hope everyone enjoys the draft and those that want to go, get to. 

Don't apologize because you have a reasonable point of view. Comments # 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16 and 20 continue to pound into my mind that this website is 85% children and 15% knowledgeable realistic fans. When did i say season ticket holders shouldn't be allowed to the draft? Thank you for putting words in my mouth though.

Ask the STHs if they actually want their tickets to the draft, i'm sure a good amount of STHs don't care about going to the draft, especially on a weekend in the summer. Send every STH an email for a presale to the draft with a promo code to redeem their seats for free, and then, whats not taken, sell. All the STHs that want to go can go, and then fans have a fair chance at going. Also standing room only would be more than adequate. In 2 minutes i've come up with a more sensible way for everyone to be happy. If they did that and i didnt get tix, okay, it happens, but at least its better than filling out some contest entry.

The marketing department for this organization did a bad job with this event plain and simple. They got rewarded with having the event here, and then put zero thought into how to host it.  And telling me as a consolation to come to the same half ass fan fest they have before every game is a embarrassing.