The East is the Key

Zubie#8

With Larsson, I just go on the eye test.  He seems to turn the puck over a lot in his own end, and despite his supposed "COMPOSURE WITH THE PUCK" there does appear to be a panic factor there.  I recall that the same possession stats said that Dougie Hamilton was the best Bruins' defenseman in the 2012-2013 playoffs, but he got benched for a few of those games.  It also tells you something that he got demoted last year, which, contrary to popular belief, was not due to DeBoer not liking young European players.  To be honest, I didn't notice Gelinas making as many mistakes as Larsson in the defensive end, but obviously something was going on as he was demoted as well, which a team that has trouble scoring does not do unless there are serious problems with his defensive game. 

Ultimately with Fayne and Volchenkov, and even with Salvador, you knew what you were getting, which was a defense unit that presided over one of the best shots against and goals against despite having 35 games played by a below average goaltender.  I understand that the forwards and the system contribute to that, but at least you know that the defenseman who left were part of the mix that made that possible. 

If you go by the eye test with Larsson, you can tell he has the best outlet pass on the team.  Larsson is also one of the best defensemen with zone exits.  Yeah, Larsson mishandles the puck, but his mistakes are definitely not as egregious as Gelinas'.  EG makes some of the worst neutral zone decisions I've ever seen, though, I suspect part of it is on Stevens telling him to play more physical. 

Two major factors for the Devils low SA are the home scorer (who seems to only count breakaways as shots) and the fact that NJ is always among the least penalized teams in the league.  I can't see losing Fayne and Volchenkov making that much of a difference

Edited by SMantzas

This is interesting.

@CraigCustance: If you think Devils & Islanders get in the playoffs, which seems to be growing notion, who from Metro are you taking out?

The big media types (well relatively speaking, it is the NHL after all) seem to be picking up on the Devils being a dark horse team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is interesting.

@CraigCustance: If you think Devils & Islanders get in the playoffs, which seems to be growing notion, who from Metro are you taking out?

The big media types (well relatively speaking, it is the NHL after all) seem to be picking up on the Devils being a dark horse team.

Interesting? Maybe for you, but that means it has to be interesting when big media types say the Devils won't make it as well. For all the hatred that some people got for picking the Devils to miss the playoffs in 07-08 or 09-10 here,  a lot of people were unfairly criticized for being right three of the past four years here as well.

They are predictions. I don't care what anyone things, and I don't think people have agendas either. The same people that knew the Leafs would miss the playoffs are the same ones that had the Devils in there.

If people have the Devils in the playoffs, it'll be for the same optimism that we think they might do well. And for those that don't, it'll be for the same reasons that have us concerned. I don't think there are any big agendas out there about the Devils.

Interesting? Maybe for you, but that means it has to be interesting when big media types say the Devils won't make it as well. For all the hatred that some people got for picking the Devils to miss the playoffs in 07-08 or 09-10 here, a lot of people were unfairly criticized for being right three of the past four years here as well.

They are predictions. I don't care what anyone things, and I don't think people have agendas either. The same people that knew the Leafs would miss the playoffs are the same ones that had the Devils in there.

If people have the Devils in the playoffs, it'll be for the same optimism that we think they might do well. And for those that don't, it'll be for the same reasons that have us concerned. I don't think there are any big agendas out there about the Devils.

Dude, chill out. It's interesting because in years past the conventional wisdom would be that a team that missed the playoffs the previous year, whose best forward is 43, and does not have a can't miss prospect ready to play, would not make the playoffs the next year. Vegas odds have the Devils ranked near the bottom. So it's interesting that people are coming around to the idea that's there's more to the story than meets the eye.

Otherwise, I'm well passed the stage of caring that the Devils don't get enough respect from the talking heads.

Dude, chill out. It's interesting because in years past the conventional wisdom would be that a team that missed the playoffs the previous year, whose best forward is 43, and does not have a can't miss prospect ready to play, would not make the playoffs the next year. Vegas odds have the Devils ranked near the bottom. So it's interesting that people are coming around to the idea that's there's more to the story than meets the eye.

Otherwise, I'm well passed the stage of caring that the Devils don't get enough respect from the talking heads.

I reread my post, and I came off like a dick. Didn't mean it that way, but I never did understand people caring what some writers are guessing. Some people out there are going to take notice of the strong possession numbers, poor shootout luck and having Marty Brodeur not play 40 games.

I wouldn't take much into consideration about Vegas odds. They don't represent much, especially for a team like NJ.

this larsson vs Gelinas comparison just goes to show how one is over rated and the other is not.

i realize its not so simple but gelinas is/ was paired with Zid = pinch pinch and when paired with Larsson made Larsson look good.

eye test...right.

not only is Gel trying to be physical while Larsson is getting leveled; then Debo wants him pinching while Zid is wrapping around one handed.

this larsson vs Gelinas comparison just goes to show how one is over rated and the other is not.

i realize its not so simple but gelinas is/ was paired with Zid = pinch pinch and when paired with Larsson made Larsson look good.

eye test...right.

not only is Gel trying to be physical while Larsson is getting leveled; then Debo wants him pinching while Zid is wrapping around one handed.

this is ridiculous. You say gelinas was making Larsson look good but never consider it could be the other way around? As soon as Larsson went down gelinas' warts really started to show.

Gelinas was absolutely terrible positionally last year. That's nobody's fault but himself.

Larsson and Gelinas really complimented each others play, I hope that pairing comes to life again.

agreed, hopefully they get paired to start the season. Then a Greene/Merrill pairing can take some of the tougher matchups and give those two room for growth.

agreed, hopefully they get paired to start the season. Then a Greene/Merrill pairing can take some of the tougher matchups and give those two room for growth.

Agreed. I like Greene/Merrill as a top pairing, think Merrill's ready, at least with Greene helping out. Sal and Zid can be used strategically, Sal a lot on the PK, Zid on the PP, limit their 5 on 5 minutes.

In my opinion, here are the tiers in the East:

Tier 1:

Boston

Tier 2:

TB

Pittsburgh

Tier 3:

Montreal

CBJ

NJ

NYR

NYI

DET

Tier 4:

PHI

WSH

TOR

OTT

Tier 5:

FLA

CAR

Tier 6:

BUF

I think the first two tiers are very safe bets to make it, but I could honestly see any team from tiers 3 and 4 getting into the playoffs.  13 teams fighting for five spots seems about right, but I definitely think NJ is among the best of tiers 3 and 4.

It's hard to rank teams based on tiers. On paper, the Bruins and Pens are favorites but are flawed. Boston depends on Chara, who may start to wear down. Pittsburgh depends on new additions, health of Letang/Martin, psyche of Fleury and a future stud in Maatta. I'd rate Tampa right behind for addressing holes but it still hinges on Bishop. Montreal and the Rangers are kind of in the same boat. Both could drop. But still boast elite goalies and strong bluelines. Offensive depth question marks including the Habs' subtracting most of their veteran leaders (Gionta, Briere, Gorges). Similar to the Rangers losing Richards and Boyle.

You can make an argument for Columbus. Strong forward depth plus added Hartnell. Defense isn't great. Still reliant on Bobrovsky. Have to get Johansen done. It's easy to dismiss the Flyers but they made the playoffs and should still be good offensively. Mason had a good year. The D remains a question mark. How much will the Caps improve under Trotz? They overpaid Niskanen and Orpik but at least the younger half should help. The Devils and Islanders improved offensively. Isles also added Halak but the back end remains an issue. Until they trade either Bailey or Grabner for a defenseman, they're weak. New Jersey is alright but depends largely on Greene and Zidlicky. The play of Larsson, Gelinas and Merrill will either make or break them. Schneider might have to cover up a lot of mistakes. Carolina is young and probably destined for last and a high draft pick.

It's not fair that I focused mostly on the Metro. I don't think Ottawa improved. Toronto is Toronto. Florida has upside. Detroit is Detroit. They're coached by Babcock and boast two future stars in Nyquist and Tatar. They need a better year out of Howard and must pray Kronwall doesn't break down. That could be your team out but never count them out. Buffalo will field a competitive roster bolstered by the additions of Briere, Gorges and return of Moulson. Adding experience was necessary. The most interesting contract of the summer is Tyler Ennis, who gets an average cap hit of $4.6 million but will earn over $7 million this year. He's only had 2 good offensive years. But the Sabres have invested on him. Stewart is a UFA next summer.

If you're asking for my playoff 8 based on July:

Metro-Pens, Jackets, Rangers

Atlantic-Bruins, Lightning, Canadiens

WC-Devils, Capitals

9.Flyers

10.Red Wings

11.Maple Leafs

12.Islanders

13.Sabres

14.Senators

15.Panthers

16.Hurricanes

Don't hold me to it.

Edited by Derek21

It's hard to rank teams based on tiers. On paper, the Bruins and Pens are favorites but are flawed. Boston depends on Chara, who may start to wear down. Pittsburgh depends on new additions, health of Letang/Martin, psyche of Fleury and a future stud in Maatta. I'd rate Tampa right behind for addressing holes but it still hinges on Bishop. Montreal and the Rangers are kind of in the same boat. Both could drop. But still boast elite goalies and strong bluelines. Offensive depth question marks including the Habs' subtracting most of their veteran leaders (Gionta, Briere, Gorges). Similar to the Rangers losing Richards and Boyle.

You can make an argument for Columbus. Strong forward depth plus added Hartnell. Defense isn't great. Still reliant on Bobrovsky. Have to get Johansen done. It's easy to dismiss the Flyers but they made the playoffs and should still be good offensively. Mason had a good year. The D remains a question mark. How much will the Caps improve under Trotz? They overpaid Niskanen and Orpik but at least the younger half should help. The Devils and Islanders improved offensively. Isles also added Halak but the back end remains an issue. Until they trade either Bailey or Grabner for a defenseman, they're weak. New Jersey is alright but depends largely on Greene and Zidlicky. The play of Larsson, Gelinas and Merrill will either make or break them. Schneider might have to cover up a lot of mistakes. Carolina is young and probably destined for last and a high draft pick.

It's not fair that I focused mostly on the Metro. I don't think Ottawa improved. Toronto is Toronto. Florida has upside. Detroit is Detroit. They're coached by Babcock and boast two future stars in Nyquist and Tatar. They need a better year out of Howard and must pray Kronwall doesn't break down. That could be your team out but never count them out. Buffalo will field a competitive roster bolstered by the additions of Briere, Gorges and return of Moulson. Adding experience was necessary. The most interesting contract of the summer is Tyler Ennis, who gets an average cap hit of $4.6 million but will earn over $7 million this year. He's only had 2 good offensive years. But the Sabres have invested on him. Stewart is a UFA next summer.

If you're asking for my playoff 8 based on July:

Metro-Pens, Jackets, Rangers

Atlantic-Bruins, Lightning, Canadiens

WC-Devils, Capitals

9.Flyers

10.Red Wings

11.Maple Leafs

12.Islanders

13.Sabres

14.Senators

15.Panthers

16.Hurricanes

Don't hold me to it.

Don't you mean Gionta? Did I miss something and Briere is returning to Buffalo?  I think Briere is in Colorado with Iginla.  I agree with your Detrioit argument, not with Nyquist and Tatar being future stars, they have to prove it themselves.  I could see Buffalo taking a step forward possibly, they're kind of like the Oilers of the East right now, they just need to develop that young talent they've acquired the past 2 years.  In your final predictions, I'd throw the Flyers or the Red Wings in the place of the Capitals wild card.

Don't you mean Gionta? Did I miss something and Briere is returning to Buffalo?  I think Briere is in Colorado with Iginla.  I agree with your Detrioit argument, not with Nyquist and Tatar being future stars, they have to prove it themselves.  I could see Buffalo taking a step forward possibly, they're kind of like the Oilers of the East right now, they just need to develop that young talent they've acquired the past 2 years.  In your final predictions, I'd throw the Flyers or the Red Wings in the place of the Capitals wild card.

Correct. I mixed them up. Both are small. I actually think that deal might work out for Colorado. Briere is still a solid postseason performer. Depends if they can repeat last year's success.