Why I'm not Bothered if We Lose the SCF

CarpathianForest

I'm hoping, with everything I got that our club wins the cup, but I just don't feel too good about it. We got to this stage with luck and timing. The Kings demolished three tough clubs with little to no adversity. I also think their size and Quick are the tough factors to nullify for us.

That being said, I didn't have a good feeling about our chances versus FLA, PHI and NYR.

i agree with the previous Carpathian post. Im nervous now but i was in all the other series opening losses. Hopefully coaching helps out the devils to once again change their game plan to help them win. Maybe this was a "feeling out game" . Kings seem to have an answer for the Devils forecheck, or at least better than the last ones. people say they bombed in that game but i thought they played well. maybe it was nerves who the hell knows. going ot be a long series. that said, like the Devils, i am modifying my game techniques. It occured to me that this is the first time in the playoffs the Devils are playing a lower seeded team. that means , if i am right, my superstitious crap should be reversed. So far the Devils scored when i was walking inot the kitchen with my head turned, screaming about their missed oppurtunities. (wife was gone so i could scream, im usually the calm supportive one). I didnt know what to do. The first ten minutes of the second period, i listened for the most part, as i cleaned my bathroom, cat box, did the dishes. It was kinda confusing. Both teams have a "Carter" and i think even another guy. may be two Greenes. not sure. All in all, i said a while back when the Rangers were playing Washington in Game 7 that i was rootingfor washington but to be able to beat Philly AND the rangers in the playoffs to go on would be amazing. Losing the SCF would suck, cause that s what philly and ranger fans are rooting for. No matter how many Ranger fans i bitch to about rooting for the kings cause Alissa Milano (sp? whos the boss chic) and other hollywood hacks root for them, they still are praying the Kings win.Im like, you should root for the NJ team, the state you live in, not those jerks but they do. I guess they knew i 'd be a Kings supporter if the Rangers beat the Devils. Jerks.

Rambling over.

Well if any of us can't keep living after any kind of season ends, that person needs to take a step back. Yes, I realize that we're all just about insane in the first place; we all take pleasure in watching two teams of grown men use sticks to push a small cylinder of rubber across ice and attempt to put it through a three-sided structure of iron. It's absurd, but fun, and if people forget that the main purpose of this is entertainment, then it's time for them take a break.

Bless you, kind sir. And now...

[standing ovation]

Couldn't agree more. If anything going deep into the playoffs makes returning there even harder next year as players get worn out from the brutal 100 game season. If the Devils lose it will be a huge missed opportunity.

In any case the OP's attitude is not a bad one after your team loses the series. Bringing it up now after losing a game though is ridiculous and defeatist. I really hope none of the players in the Devils locker room are thinking like this right now.

In bold: don't agree with that, only because it shortchanges the other the team that also earned the right to compete for the Cup. It's an opportunity for both clubs, and as we know, only one of them gets to walk away with the big prize. It's just that when statements like "If the Devils lose it will be a huge missed opportunity" are made, it implies that the Devils will have blown it somehow if they don't win it, or will have simply handed it over to the Kings. I don't think that's fair to either team.

Agree on the timing of the original post...like I said, at 3-0 I could understand it, but not at 1-0. And I maintain CP never starts this thread if the Devils are up 1-0.

... Just because none of us expected to make it this far doesn't mean we should take an "eh, losing's no big deal, let's just be happy with what we have" attitude. Get greedy. All of our playoff failures since the lockout should remind us how difficult it is to make it this far. It takes luck, and we've gotten it this year. Regardless of our past successes, losing when you get this close would still be very crushing. Yeah, ultimately I would look back and say "well it was a good run and I'm glad we got to beat the Flyers and Rags", but I'd still be devastated we didn't finish with a win and wasted such a golden opportunity, especially knowing this isn't exactly a "young" team that we would expect to do at least this well if not better next year. I can't understand how you or any Devils fan could just shrug off a loss in a SCF just because "well, 3 out of 5 in SCF ain't bad". Who even cares about that? 2003 was a long time ago. I know other teams have waited longer, but it's all relative.

Having said that, we've only lost game one and it was a pretty close game. No need to be talking defeat yet.

I agree with the gist of this post.

He recognizes how hard it is to make it this far, and he wants the Devils to win it all, badly. He's not saying he's gonna commit suicide if the Devs lose. He's just being a diehard fan -- like all of us!

Edited by 95Crash

I'm hoping, with everything I got that our club wins the cup, but I just don't feel too good about it. We got to this stage with luck and timing. The Kings demolished three tough clubs with little to no adversity. I also think their size and Quick are the tough factors to nullify for us.

That being said, I didn't have a good feeling about our chances versus FLA, PHI and NYR.

The Kings didn't face anyone who was a top 25 goal scorer in the league. Daniel Sedin was the closest (@ 28th with 30 goals) and he was just back from a concussion fog. Vancouver got stuck in a mid series goalie controversy, and when Schneider stepped in he gave up 4 goals in 3 games and Quick gave up 3 - scoring was a problem for them on a decent goalie. Elliott absolutely didn't have the playoff composure that Halak showed in Montreal, or that series might have gone very differently as well. 2 playoff wins against backup goalies, though for different reasons. The Blues also had 24 goals out of their top scorer, Dave Backes - we have four 30 goal scorers. So...,they didn't exactly demolish 3 teams at the top of their game. They didn't play anyone like the Flyers, on top of their game after blowing through Pittsburgh, and they never faced a defense like the Rangers. (EDIT: And they sure as shi!t haven't played anyone like the Devs!! Can't believe I left that out ;) )

They're a good team, but they are definitely beatable. They've been hot at the right time, and they've gotten some fantastic breaks with Luongo's meltdown, battered Sedins, and Halak's concussion. they played well against the Coyotes, but like I said the Coyotes ain't the Rangers or Flyers either. We take this series too with solid play like we've shown almost constantly in the last 2 series.

Edited by jim777
  • Like 1

Fine, whatever. You missed the point completely.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Too many of our fans are too young and too spoiled to realize what we/they have. Even if we lose we have one of the great hockey franchises. Do this folks: go to the Wikipedia list of Stanley cup winners..... Then see where the Devils rank. We are one of the better franchises in the history of the game! Take away the original six period and THEN see where the Devils rank (that needs a little head work). That's right, even if you include the years before our franchise existed, the Scouts years, those powerhouse Rockies years, and those early Devils years, we still among the best. If you look at the Devils from just the past twenty years or so we are top two. There ya go. So win or lose, no one can take that away. Most of these teams would kill for a chance to simply play for the cup..... Instead they are home playing with their cups.

One falsehood I think that has to get thrown out the door is the "stepping stone" theory, that getting to a certain round in the playoffs is a step towards bigger things. With the NHL the way it is, with so many teams bunched in about the same area talent-wise, you never know if you're going back to a SCF anytime soon. Like I said, with another worthy team trying to win THEMSELVES the Cup, I can't kill the Devils if they don't get it done...but man I'll be bummed...

2011 Cup Finalists: Boston & Vancouver out in round 1 in 2012

2010 Cup Finalists: Chicago out 1st round; Philadelphia swept round 2 in 2011

2009 Cup Finalists: Pittsburgh & Detroit out in round 2 in 2010

The NHL Playoffs has certainly become a crap-shoot beyond normal the last 3 years. Combine survive and advance, match-ups, and luck.