2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

We're the Devils, it's boot camp over here. One of the reasons I want Lou to force a steal of an Evander Kane trade that Winnipeg regrets the next day!

At 6 mil per year, he's a crapshoot. I know he's out of Winnepeg

At 6 mil per year, he's a crapshoot. I know he's out of Winnepeg

The salary wouldn't scare me as much as what we'd have to give up to get him here.  The Devils have had plenty of guys with supposed "attitude issues" come through the organization over the years and, much more often then not, the reputation seemed undeserved and said more about the organizations they were coming from than the player himself.  

Edited by Chuck the Duck

The salary wouldn't scare me as much as what we'd have to give up to get him here.  The Devils have had plenty of guys with supposed "attitude issues" come through the organization over the years and, much more oftent then not, they reputation seemed undeserved and said more about the organizations they were coming from than the player himself.  

+1!!

• 4 weeks later...

Been a bit lazy in keeping up with this...

Central Scouting Final Rankings

NA Skaters

NA Goalies

EU Skaters

EU Goalies

NHL Combine Invitees

ISS Top 30 for May

Future Considerations Top 30 for May

Corey Pronman's Top 100 (ESPN Insider)

Corey Pronman's Top 10 Goalies (ESPN Insider)

In Lou We Trust Draft Profiles
Anton Karlsson
Vladislav Kamenev
Jack Dougherty
Brycen Martin
John Quenneville

The Hockey Writers has a lot of draft profiles here.

I like Anton Karlsson a lot. It may be a bit of a risky pick since he isn't the most proven player, but there is a lot of reward to be had, as well. I love his style of play and think he could end up being a steal at 30th overall. If he is still available when the Devils are up, I'd grab him, for sure.

Karlsson seems to have a great attitude, he plays the way the Devils like to play, and has the offensive power the team desperately needs. He may not be ready for the NHL immediately, but that is the case with most 30th overall draft picks. - From ILWT

Discriminating against players simply due to their nationality is bullsh!t, just because a lot of the Swedes we picked haven't turned out, doesn't mean you never pick another Swede, or pick a big North American, just because he's from that region. 

I'm watching OT Val 'd or vs Edm Oil kings. Keeping an eye on Nicolas Aube-Kubel (all over the ice-great wheels) and Pollock on Oil Kings both guys talented) maybe for our 41st?

I'm watching OT Val 'd or vs Edm Oil kings. Keeping an eye on Nicolas Aube-Kubel (all over the ice-great wheels) and Pollock on Oil Kings both guys talented) maybe for our 41st?

Central Scouting had Pollock at 34 for NA Skaters and Aube-Kubel at 40. In Pronman's Top 100 (which tend to vary from other lists) he had Pollock at 69 and Aube-Kubel at 79. Pronman suggested that they both need to work on their D but have some nice offensive tools. Both seem like they could be very available for the Devils.

I haven't been able to dive into as much draft info as I would like so I don't have many opinions yet. Hoping to get into this stuff in the next week or so.

Draisaitl reminds me a bit of Nichushkin. I'm not yet sure he has the speed, but the strength and playing style seem very similar. Whoever picks him up will have quite a player in the future.

I'm glad Vrana's stock has been slipping lately. He seems like a possibility at 30, and I have a feeling he could turn out to be very good. The talent is there, but supposedly the consistency isn't yet.

I'd wouldn't mind to get Vrana @ 30! I think the inconsistency thing can be corrected. I can't wait for draft day.

Remember, don't be totally shocked if Devs pick Demko.  Not out of the question.  We all want a potential scoring forward. 

What about kulda in the fourth round? He gets 30 goals 30 assist in the ohl this year. Not a sure bet but he have some potential to become a top 6 player in the nhl long term.

He scored a nice goal last night. (he plays in the "dub'-not the "O") maybe in later rounds

The Islanders have decided to keep this year's 1st and send Buffalo their 2015 1st to complete the Vanek deal. Now that's risky. Isles fans might go over the edge for good if they lose McDavid or Eichel lol.

Halak's a huge improvement over 60 games of Nabokov and you'd have to think Tavares won't get hurt again. Some prospects could jump up etc. Andy MacDonald's awfulness is gone. I think it's pretty safe to think they won't be as bad. But if Tavares or Halak gets hurt (and they have to go with an even older goalie), then all bets are off

I'd wouldn't mind to get Vrana @ 30! I think the inconsistency thing can be corrected. I can't wait for draft day.

Remember, don't be totally shocked if Devs pick Demko. Not out of the question. We all want a potential scoring forward.

Vrana, superficially anyway, seems to be following the trajectory of Martin Frk or Victor Rask, both of whom are iffy to have decent NHL careers. (Maybe the last name Vrana has something to do with it too).

I would not be too upset about drafting Demko if he's the best player available, although preferably he could be nabbed with the 40th overall. His numbers at BC are better than Schneider's were when Schneider was older. Even if we have Schneider long term, if Demko proves to be capable of being a good NHL goalie, you can flip him for something valuable down the road. I mean, just imagine what Anaheim could get for Gibson, or what Tampa could get for Vasilevski.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discriminating against players simply due to their nationality is bullsh!t, just because a lot of the Swedes we picked haven't turned out, doesn't mean you never pick another Swede, or pick a big North American, just because he's from that region. 

I didn't mean to imply race really had anything to do with it - I just think the results speak for themselves.

If you have a choice of picking an apple from three trees (to keep it simple), and you've picked quite a few rotten ones from tree A, why would you feel inclined to keep picking apples from that first tree?

I didn't mean to imply race really had anything to do with it - I just think the results speak for themselves.

If you have a choice of picking an apple from three trees (to keep it simple), and you've picked quite a few rotten ones from tree A, why would you feel inclined to keep picking apples from that first tree?

we got nothing good out of any trees in the last 10 years. Doesnt really matter at this point

• Like 1