what about the bridge?

brickwall30

So I remember from the plans for the building before it was built that they had a sweet bridge straight from the train station across "triangle park" and into the arena. Anyone know what the status of this whole project is? I was just reading through the In-Lou-We-Trust blog about questions for Jeff at the Jersey Tour thing

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/7/27/1591478/jeff-vanderbeek-new-jersey-devils

someone asked about getting an ASG and being in the Winter Classic. He responded with among other things the NHL wants that new Marriot to be built in Newark before they commit an ASG Weekend to us and I imagine the same is true of the Winter Classic (he said we will definitely get both btw).

I wonder if building that nice bridge and a park would be a big sell as well. Updates?

Edited by brickwall30

So I remember from the plans for the building before it was built that they had a sweet bridge straight from the train station across "triangle park" and into the arena. Anyone know what the status of this whole project is? I was just reading through the In-Lou-We-Trust blog about questions for Jeff at the Jersey Tour thing

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/7/27/1591478/jeff-vanderbeek-new-jersey-devils

someone asked about getting an ASG and being in the Winter Classic. He responded with among other things the NHL wants that new Marriot to be built in Newark before they commit an ASG Weekend to us and I imagine the same is true of the Winter Classic (he said we will definitely get both btw).

I wonder if building that nice bridge and a park would be a big sell as well. Updates?

i like that idea a lot

That bridge, if I remember correctly wants to use the right of way/superstructure path of the old CNJ Newark Branch (That unused bridge at the west end of NPS is the CNJ, the line terminated about where the rock is now) good use of something that has been sitting idle for 40 years.

What part of the arena would this bridge enter?

Not entirely sure, but IIRC it was supposed to enter from the Mulberry St. side of the building, but I also recall them saying it was going to connect straight from the train station to the arena so who knows. So far it has seemed like they don't consider it a priority because they have Gateway Center that allows people to get most of the way to the arena from the train station without going on the street or enter the heat/cold *depending on season obviously*.

Not entirely sure, but IIRC it was supposed to enter from the Mulberry St. side of the building, but I also recall them saying it was going to connect straight from the train station to the arena so who knows. So far it has seemed like they don't consider it a priority because they have Gateway Center that allows people to get most of the way to the arena from the train station without going on the street or enter the heat/cold *depending on season obviously*.

what about the dogs?

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4462609

This is somewhat confusing because there were two planned "bridges" both of which had to do with the old CNJ rail line. The major one that was shown, is owned by Edison parkfast and isn't going anywhere in the near future. The project was a link between the Newark Penn sation and the lot on the east side of the rail tracks which had in one projection a tower with ramp running through it. Edison lost it's lease battle with Iron Mountain (this is over the gigantic ugly cement building on Edison and 21)and hasn't really put up projections of their plans for the area in at least a year. The other side of the building (Broad st.) was more of a pipedream involving a walkway through that building that would have Lionel trains having a store there and would connect to the arena through the parking garage. Neither of these look to happen in the near future as focus as moved to Edison and lafayette for filling in the lower level retail.

• 3 weeks later...