GDT: Game 2 Isles at Devils 7pm MSG

ZeroGravityFat

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, you know to most Devils fans the Isles aren't really a rival and are viewed as more "off the grid" than a local rival. Plus it's not like they bring swarms of their own fans. Maybe a few here or there. If we had Philly, Detroit, or Pitt in the building yesterday no doubt we sell out.

The lack of Kovalchuk hurts. Expectations are not as high as they were last season. We are coming off a missed playoffs year.

Still it's not like 16,600 is an abomination or anything.

I think they'll do fine, and go through the usual attendance spike around Thanksgiving.

Edited by '7'

They had more people in the stands for DALLAS a couple years ago (actual bodies, not just ticket count).  Isles or no Isles I'd be real worried if I was the Devils that they couldn't sell out a weekend home opener on the most beautiful weather day you're ever going to have out for a hockey game.  And since they're supposedly increasing their sth base every year it means single-game sales are in the toilet to not have Opening Night sell out.  Tier pricing doesn't help, but still the Devils got their first indication they can't jack up prices based on last year's fluke/discount-aided totals.

The problem with young defensemen is that unless you're extremely lucky, you have to let them suck.   And we haven't been willing to do that.   You learn through sucking.    If you give a guy 320 over 4 seasons and he's still making the same mistakes, then maybe you can start to think they suck because they suck.   But not the way they use Larsson.

Wanted to address this, too - no, this isn't really how it's done.  Larsson earned his spot in Year 1 because he can pass the puck very well.  In Year 1, there were some horrible giveaways - these are mostly gone now, he's improved in that area considerably.  Larsson is really good at passing the puck out of trouble and is possibly our best defenseman at this.  The issue is that his skating hasn't improved at all and guys can still successfully go wide on him and generate scoring chances.  It doesn't seem like an issue that can be fixed just by him playing more.    

I'd rather we get the kinks out early. You don't want to be one of those teams that storms out of the gate, and peaks before Christmas and then sucks the second half of the season because you burned yourself out trying to get far enough away from the rest of the pack. Then you might just stumble into the playoffs with no momentum. Better this happens now than 2 or 3 months from now.

Only saw the 3rd period, was buying skates at hockey monkey for the kid... $$$ ouch

Wow, Jagr's face told the story. like when my 12 year old skated by me last month. its over Dad. getting old stinks,     has he completed one PASS yet????  gotta give him a few more weeks though. he's slow as cr@p but still may be able to use his puck protection skills in the devils cycling system. but he has to stop falling down and passing pucks to the other team. between him clowe ryder larsson volch we are the all slow team

Larsson seemed to be making strides last year with his defensive one on one play. they worked on his pivots transitions and backwards crossovers to get him to stay with people.  all that speed work seems to have disappeared, its a concern. year three and its just not natural for him...and does he even have a slapshot?  time to sit him again and let him watch from the box.  with a kid like him, if he doesnt bring 110% intensity every shift its noticable

we let marty down in the SO, lift the puck guys!

This team needs some time to gel still.  Something to watch and be concerned with too though is the defense and the age on the team as well.  Volch, Salvador, Zidlicky all on defense is going to be a problem to watch.

Also, even because of all the changes Deboer shouldn't get too comfortable.  I don't see Lou being as patient this year with struggles after last year and the new ownership coming in.  Also, if he insists on being brain-dead and continuing to play Gionta and sit Fayne, thats an issue that merits being put on the plank.

Only saw the 3rd period, was buying skates at hockey monkey for the kid... $$$ ouch

Wow, Jagr's face told the story.

Incredible how long the camera stayed on Jagr's face. Really want Jaromír to succeed in his final year, not only as a Devil, but for his career and life meaning behind #68. That look of staring into the abyss reflects that his career, is in it's final chapter. I've seen that look before and the end is near.

It's only the second game. During pre season we didn't have Elias Jagr and Brodeur. DeBoer kept switching up lines during pre season. It appears that DeBoer doesn't believe in chemistry. I do. I also think this coaching staff doesn't know how to work with young players. Stevens is not a Robinson. DeBoer sticks with Vets to long. We all thought the goaltending and defense were solid going in only to find out this isn't true. Should have got rid of Volchenkov, period.

I'm glad we have an away trip right now when we do. Rough start out of the gate, even though it's only two games. If they can have a decent run slightly above .500 on the road trip, it'll be some good momentum going into the homestand toward the end of the month, both in our confidence of the team and ticket sales, I'm sure. After losing the first two games, I'm sure a few weekday home games next week would've been subpar attendance-wise. This away trip is a blessing in disguise and will help the boys gel.

We're predicted to finish last. We're a bubble team, at best.  It is going to be a long year, by our standards.  Hopefully we'll be slightly better than a .500 club and can get a 7/8 seed to make the dance in April.

Remember there is no true 7th or 8th like there was. We have to finish at worst 5th in our division to possibly make the playoffs. I don't think there 5 teams in our division better than us. Pittsburgh in fact is the only team I'd DEFINITELY take over us. But even then I think we can beat them as well. The problem is that every team not named Pittsburgh in the division is capable of making it.

One shining star of yesterday's game was that Brodeur came to play. Could've easily been 6-3 if he didn't literally stand on his head a few times. Our new guys look good and promising, not including Jagr..

I wouldn't call Brodeur a shining star - he played okay, made some great saves, but the goals he let in weren't great, especially the Nielsen goal.

Some observation a day later-

1. Like some players and coaches said, neutral zone defense was a disaster. That'll get better one the new faces get acclimated with the system.

2. Best offensive players were Brunner, Henrique, Zajac and Loktionov. They really need to let #21 carry the puck through the neutral zone. First goal was off the rush and he does such a good job gaining control. He needs to get pp time over Henrique.

3. Clowe is real smart but so damn slow. 3rd goal was a result of him parking his ass in front of the net

4. Re Jagr: we have to remember he didn't play in the preseason and it was back to back. I suspect he'll be much better once he gets back into game shape

I wouldn't call Brodeur a shining star - he played okay, made some great saves, but the goals he let in weren't great, especially the Nielsen goal.

I'd go as far as saying the Nielsen goal was downright atrocious.  The first Grabner goal I'll cut him some slack since it was basically a breakaway.  But the 2nd Grabner goal should have been stopped as well as the Franz goal.  The guy made some great saves during the game, but let in 3 softies.

Nabokov was great for the Isles though.  Only reason they won was because of him.

Wanted to address this, too - no, this isn't really how it's done.  Larsson earned his spot in Year 1 because he can pass the puck very well.  In Year 1, there were some horrible giveaways - these are mostly gone now, he's improved in that area considerably.  Larsson is really good at passing the puck out of trouble and is possibly our best defenseman at this.  The issue is that his skating hasn't improved at all and guys can still successfully go wide on him and generate scoring chances.  It doesn't seem like an issue that can be fixed just by him playing more.    

Still I'd like to see him play without the sword being held above his throat.   Even if he's slow, processing faster and making quicker decisions would help.   Tallinder is a guy who would be taken to the outside and have to recover with his stick.