NFL Week 9:

CRASHER

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firing coaches mid-season rarely does anything useful......I wish they would sit Vick already.....I picked up Foles in my money league dammit.....good God Reid is one stubborn jackass till the very end....doesn't hand the ball off....sticks with Vick as the Phily Titanic burns around them.....

Vick's brother tweeting SAVE HIM was hilarious!

Holy Crap! When did thei Eagles become the worst offensive line in the NFL. They made the Saints D look like the 85 Bears.

Vick is endangered with every snap and no holes for McCoy. Yikes.

Should be an epic comedy of errors against Dallas from both sides.

Anti-Football!!! :wub:

(which is about the ONLY way I get fired up for a Cowboys game these days.....)

The slights against Miami and the Super Bowl Champion Giants are just bitter envy coming from a blind Jets fan.

I am afraid your take on Flacco seems correct. The potenital to be an elite QB is there for Flacco, but for some reason he can't seem to make that hurdle on a consistent basis. We are winning ugly, but will get crushed by NE, or Houston come crunch time.

Our D is weak but we are making some plays when it counts. But without Lewis and Webb it's an illusion of strength.

NE is back to paper-tiger status until further notice. They can fatten up the point differential at any time as we saw againt the Rams, which always looks good at a glance in the standings, and there are some bad offenses that can't take advantage of the Patriots' D, but come playoff time, I think they can probably lose to anyone, including the Ravens. Put it this way...I won't be surprised if they lose to anyone who makes the AFC playoffs. It's crucial that they find a way to nab the #2 seed...they need as short a path and as much help as possible come playoff time. That loss against the Ravens really hurts NE from a tie-breaker standpoint...if NE finishes as a #3 or #4, no way they get to the Super Bowl...no way their D holds up.

The key thing about Flacco is that you can win with him, provided enough other pieces are in place for him to succeed. The elite QB class doesn't always take home the prize, as we've seen many many times.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The key thing about Flacco is that you can win with him, provided enough other pieces are in place for him to succeed. The elite QB class doesn't always take home the prize, as we've seen many many times.

What pieces will fit? The Ravens defense does not look good at all. In the last 15 or so years we have seen dominant QBs win titles or historically good defenses. With Big Ben and Eli, we have seen outstanding quarterbacks backed by fantastic defenses.

Nothing in that time period has shown the Ravens will win this title.

What pieces will fit? The Ravens defense does not look good at all. In the last 15 or so years we have seen dominant QBs win titles or historically good defenses. With Big Ben and Eli, we have seen outstanding quarterbacks backed by fantastic defenses.

Nothing in that time period has shown the Ravens will win this title.

My point was you can win with Flacco if you put him on a good team with pieces in place, and don't necessarily have to rely on him. I didn't say the 2012 Ravens fit that bill.

With teams like this year's Ravens, you can look at them one of two ways...even though they're -7 in point differential, the fact that they keep finding ways to win bodes well for them...or you can say that they've been very lucky, and that they law of averages should rear its ugly head any day. At any rate, they're 6-2...not a bad place to be.

The Ravens being 6-2, along with the Falcons being 8-0 or the Bears and Texans 7-1 show how ridiculous the NFL season is. There are simply no great teams right now. I'd be quite surprised if any of those 4 teams ended up winning the Super Bowl, let alone making it. For what it's worth, Vegas agrees because only the Texans are in the top 5 in terms of Super Bowl odds.

I just can't give these teams credit for pulling out tight wins against bad teams where the other team's coaching staff do more to hinder their chances than the players do. I think that goes for any team coached by Garret, Rivera, Shurmur, and Crennel.

You have a handful of teams capable of greatness at times, but none that can really sustain it. The Bears intrigue me because they're managing to play good defense in an era where the NFL doesn't seem to want anyone to be able to do that.

My point was you can win with Flacco if you put him on a good team with pieces in place, and don't necessarily have to rely on him. I didn't say the 2012 Ravens fit that bill.

With teams like this year's Ravens, you can look at them one of two ways...even though they're -7 in point differential, the fact that they keep finding ways to win bodes well for them...or you can say that they've been very lucky, and that they law of averages should rear its ugly head any day. At any rate, they're 6-2...not a bad place to be.

Flacco is usually great in the playoffs, but I don't believe in our D without Ray Lewis and Ladarious Webb out and Ngata and Reed both playing badly hurt. Suggs isn't even 100%. But if we can just keep winning we are just as good as NE, ATL and Chicago.

Speaking of elite QBs, Tom Brady will soon have thrown 200 more TD passes than interceptions for his career (he's currently at 316 TD and 118 INT)...Peyton Manning had done that already (he was the first to do it in the history of the NFL...he's now at +215 for his career). But a lot of that for Brady came from 2007-on...his numbers before that were very good, but since 2007 (including the 2008 season, where he didn't even finish the first half of the first game) he's thrown for 169 TD and just 40 INT. That's insane.

But the guy who could really wind up with insane career numbers, especially from a TD-INT ratio, is Aaron Rodgers. He's at 157 TD and 43 INT (already +114, and he's only 28 years old...at the rate he's going, if he stays healthy, he could crack +200 in a few years, with several years left in his career)...suffice it to say no other QB has come anywhere starting off their career with a ratio like that...not Brady, not Manning, not Montana, not Marino...no one. Clearly he's terrific, but is he really going to be the best who's ever played the game, even though his career numbers are going to clearly be off-the-charts and will suggest as such? The QB numbers (a lot of offensive numbers, really) from this era are going to be so goofy compared to other eras...some who didn't grow up watching Brady will see his numbers up until 2006 and from 2007 and will wonder how he suddenly got to be so much better from a statisical standpoint...it's almost Barry Bonds-like.

The last non elite QB to win a Super Bowl was Brad Johnson, unless you want to count Ben the first time around. It's been all HOF'ers since for a reason, it's more of an offensive league every year.

Still don't believe the franchise quarterback uber alles theory. When we're talking about a sport where 22 players are on the field at any given time, where very important calls (pass interference, holding) are highly subjective, and where you have single game eliminations in the playoffs, no one thing is necessary or sufficient to win a Super Bowl. Last year, the Super Bowl was within a field goal of being Niners/Ravens or Alex Smith/Flacco. But for injuries on the Ravens, that could have been the Super Bowl match-up this year. They're "good enough" quarterbacks that could realistically be upgraded with someone else. In 2003, Jake Delhomme's Panthers were beaten by a field goal by Tom Brady's Patriots. The game hasn't fundamentally changed THAT much since Brad Johnson's Super Bowl win.

Sure, you obviously do everything in your power to get the franchise quarterback. But being obsessed with it can make the situation worse. For example, Mark Sanchez, although he's been bad the past two years, has shown in the past he can succeed in the playoffs. It would be a really bad idea to dump him for just anyone else, much less Tim Tebow, or to draft a QB like Barkley, Geno Smith or even Landry Jones, all three of whom are very far from sure things. You could say the same thing about a player like Carson Palmer.

The QB numbers (a lot of offensive numbers, really) from this era are going to be so goofy compared to other eras...some who didn't grow up watching Brady will see his numbers up until 2006 and from 2007 and will wonder how he suddenly got to be so much better from a statisical standpoint...it's almost Barry Bonds-like.

Someone will just have to explain to him or her what SpyGate was and that Belichick went FU mode on the league.

Someone will just have to explain to him or her what SpyGate was and that Belichick went FU mode on the league.

But it's not like Brady's the only one who's seen his numbers explode. I posted Rodgers' numbers. Finishing a season with a 2-to-1 TD-to-INT used to be a big deal in the NFL...anything approaching 3-to-1 was considered pretty awesome. Now you've got guys putting up seasons like Manning's 49-to-10, Brady's 50-to-8 and 36-to-4, Rodgers' 45-to-6 last season...I remember when Brady was 30-to-2 at one point during the '07 season, that seemed like it could never happen again, but we're seeing ratios like that more and more. Imagine back in the mid-90s, someone finishing with numbers like that...it'd be nuts.

But it's not like Brady's the only one who's seen his numbers explode. I posted Rodgers' numbers. Finishing a season with a 2-to-1 TD-to-INT used to be a big deal in the NFL...anything approaching 3-to-1 was considered pretty awesome. Now you've got guys putting up seasons like Manning's 49-to-10, Brady's 50-to-8 and 36-to-4, Rodgers' 45-to-6 last season...I remember when Brady was 30-to-2 at one point during the '07 season, that seemed like it could never happen again, but we're seeing ratios like that more and more. Imagine back in the mid-90s, someone finishing with numbers like that...it'd be nuts.

I got you. It's a passing league with rules that make it that the receiver can't be touched. You have some QBs with no running games either that just use a spread offense, and it really can't be stopped for the most part. You just need those aggressive coaches ready to keep calling those plays no matter the score. It helps that the defenses for all the QBs with these historic numbers have been awful. Add in freak athletes that we have never seen before at the receiver and TE position, and defenses are screwed.

I got you. It's a passing league with rules that make it that the receiver can't be touched. You have some QBs with no running games either that just use a spread offense, and it really can't be stopped for the most part. You just need those aggressive coaches ready to keep calling those plays no matter the score. It helps that the defenses for all the QBs with these historic numbers have been awful. Add in freak athletes that we have never seen before at the receiver and TE position, and defenses are screwed.

I have to admit, I think the balance between offense and defense is out of whack in the NFL. I know the league had to start protecting its QBs better, but every Sunday when I see the ticker start scrolling, and I see QBs routinely starting games 8-for-8, 6-for-6...it just feels off to me. The Pats' D is pretty bad, especially in their secondary, but it seems like in EVERY NFL game I see there's guys so wide-open all over the place...it almost looks too easy...I don't ever remember seeing receivers open so often from game to game.

It's not like different leagues haven't seen their balance thrown off before...MLB was becoming so dominated by pitching in the 60s that they lowered the mound in 1968. And we've seen the NHL continually trying to find way to restore offense to its 80s totals, when average-scoring teams were scoring as many goals as the top-scoring NHL teams do now.

Oops, hit the wrong button