Doc Emrick joins NBC, has left MSG.

ZeroGravityFat

Pretty good blog post on this by one of the Devils Generals..

http://wp.me/p1juel-om

Here's a snippet of the blog post:

I am a fairly young sports fan. My father had the pleasure of hearing the great Mel Allen call Yankee games when he was younger. I was too young to really remember Phil Rizzuto’s glory days in the booth. But both provided a fantastic soundtrack to the games people watched growing up. When they left, things just weren’t the same. Not worse, just not the same.

Mike “Doc” Emrick stepped down today as the New Jersey Devils play-by-play man ending a 21-year career with the team and MSG Networks. I could not be more sad and bummed out for myself and Devils fans around. The man was the soundtrack to my childhood. The first voice I ever heard calling hockey was Gary Thorne. Then a couple of years later Doc came back to the Devils and took over for the next 20 years and became the voice synonymous with the rise of a team I love so much. And the fact that he was the best in the business and WE had him as our play-by-play guy was really a treat. One that some of us may not have realized until the last couple of years. Just like how we get to tell our children we got to watch Martin Brodeur play every day, we can also tell them we got to listen to Doc Emrick every game.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not suprised at all that Doc bowed out. Its a tribute to him that he's put-in 21 consecutive years with the Devils "commuting" 800 miles to New Jersey from Port Huron on top of his national TV duties. After a while it just catches up with you and NBC Sports certainly seems to be going "all in" with their hockey broadcasts getting Pierre McGuire full-time as well.

I see Cangi being the play-by-play guy for the future. 1- He's been with MSG and the organization for a while. 2- He's probably relatively cheap compaired with the Dave Straders, Jack Edwards, and Pat Foleys of the world.

Then again there's always Paul Steigerwold who was sent to the studio by the Penguins starting next season. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Not suprised at all that Doc bowed out. Its a tribute to him that he's put-in 21 consecutive years with the Devils "commuting" 800 miles to New Jersey from Port Huron on top of his national TV duties. After a while it just catches up with you and NBC Sports certainly seems to be going "all in" with their hockey broadcasts getting Pierre McGuire full-time as well.

I see Cangi being the play-by-play guy for the future. 1- He's been with MSG and the organization for a while. 2- He's probably relatively cheap compaired with the Dave Straders, Jack Edwards, and Pat Foleys of the world.

Then again there's always Paul Steigerwold who was sent to the studio by the Penguins starting next season. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Pat Foley would be great. I want him to go off on Rolston and Clarkson if they are traded like he did with Karpovtsev.

i was very bummed when i heard this today. he's such a class act and was a great voice for the devils over his career. i love listening to him and will miss him tremendously. we've been spoiled having him. i wish he had a number that we could retire.

i know cangelosi's going to get the gig, i can't say i'm happy about that.

Edited by xxchaznjxx

Always knew this day would come and it was approaching but I wasn't expecting this just yet. I can't thank Doc enough for his play calling and personality. I'm only 23 so Devil games won't be the same without him. I wish him the best and I hope when he retires for good that the Devils do something formal to honor him.

At first I couldn't stand Cangialosi but over the years he's really grown on me and I think I may be one of the few that wouldn't mind him being the new play by play guy. No one can measure up to Doc but Cangialosi does a decent job of calling the game in my opinion. Obviously calling radio is different than television but I can't stand Loughlin's calling when I'm stuck tuning in driving back from class. As mentioned earlier in the thread he doesn't really help the listener know whats going on regarding time/score too often.

Edited by thefiestygoat

it was a pleasure hearing/seeing him call Devils games for the last few years i've been watching hockey from across the pond.

i was even hoping to meet him when i eventually see a home game.

i grew quickly to him, and i honestly thought we had the best pair of announcers across the league.

he will be sorely missed!

Good for Doc, Sad for us. Really amazing broadcaster. One of my favorite Doc moments from the past couple of years was when during a Flyers-Devils he was doing pbp for the numbers on the ice with the corresponding players from 20 years ago. He did it for a few shifts too!

Thanks Doc, for the memories. Enjoy your "new" job.

Great post Rock. Thanks for remembering that.

atlanta's play by play guy was decent, maybe NJ should consider him.

That's really funny

oh and Lou is not that upset over this. He and Vanderbeek about to save big bucks on the TV announcing budget

and everyone get off Cangelosi... other than looking like Mini Mouse, he's very professional.

Ross and Laughlin are completely unbearable for those of you who like them....they spew irrelevant nonsense at all the wrong times

Man... it's never going to be the same. Well I'm glad I can say I grew up watching Doc call these games and have so many of the calls sealed in my head. Best of the best.

At least it is something look forward to about playing on VS. or NBC, I know I always hated missing out on the FSN/MSG+ crew. But Doc definitely makes up for that now.