Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

I think the "best prospect" thing was really a tire pumping.   Serves to make Lou look silly for letting his former "best prospect" be claimed off waivers to protect Stephen Gionta's NHL job (as he does have a two way downside)... but other than that, I'm not sure what this is.

That was not the point really. God im the worst at explaining my points apparently... it's not about Urbom at all. Im looking at the big picture

Can we agree that Lou has a "All Out / All or Nothing / Make or break / High Risks, High Rewards" mentality which lead him to do things a certain way? his trade deadline and FA handling, not giving away the 29th pick etc etc are examples of that, he just go for it 100% of the time. And result of that if it doesn't work the loss is assured to be the worst you can have, there's no safety net.

Compared now to teams who play it a little more carefully to at least limit their losses if there's any and try to get picks or something instead at least once in awhile. Well in the long run those extra picks or new prospects can help you build a good prospect pool.

And on the other way around, not getting all those extra picks and losing players for nothing in return will eventually hurt you. Our forwards group in the AHL is a good indication of that. Look at our NHL group, not a lot of them are homegrown either. We constantly have to get guys off the market and there's a reason for that.

The reason for that has a lot to do with the team finishing in the top 10 most seasons. When you draft in the later third of every round, you have less chance of getting bigger talent. If we drafted in the top 10 every 2 or 3 years, we'd have plenty of talent. It's not like these teams are getting great players stocking up on 3rd-7th round picks.

"All Out / All or Nothing / Make or break / High Risks, High Rewards" may be the most un-Lou-like description of Lou I've ever heard of. He's well known for keeping himself calm and only making a move when it's necessary. He very rarely makes a high risk move, but when he does, it's a doozy (Kovy, Mogilny, Gilmour, Schneider etc). This was a very low risk that some people seem to be blowing out of the water.

If you are truly thinking big picture, you'd see that none of these players that leave have much trade value (Urbom, Taormina), or are untradeable at the time of a deadline (Parise, Clarkson)

When we were losing, we unloaded Arnott and Langenbrunner, etc. But when you're in a playoff run, you can't just trade away players for random draft picks. You keep trying to compare the Devils to teams that have a very different last 10 years or so.

Late to the party but not that upset over this. Hope Urbom takes advantage of his new opportunity now. Of course I was hoping he'd clear but the depth and quality the Devils have makes this fine. Gets Albany down to 8 D which is good for all the back-to-backs and three-in-fours: Merrill, Gelinas, Burlon, Helgeson, Hrabarenka, Scarlett, McPherson, Kelly

The reason for that has a lot to do with the team finishing in the top 10 most seasons. When you draft in the later third of every round, you have less chance of getting bigger talent. If we drafted in the top 10 every 2 or 3 years, we'd have plenty of talent. It's not like these teams are getting great players stocking up on 3rd-7th round picks.

"All Out / All or Nothing / Make or break / High Risks, High Rewards" may be the most un-Lou-like description of Lou I've ever heard of. He's well known for keeping himself calm and only making a move when it's necessary. He very rarely makes a high risk move, but when he does, it's a doozy (Kovy, Mogilny, Gilmour, Schneider etc). This was a very low risk that some people seem to be blowing out of the water.

If you are truly thinking big picture, you'd see that none of these players that leave have much trade value (Urbom, Taormina), or are untradeable at the time of a deadline (Parise, Clarkson)

When we were losing, we unloaded Arnott and Langenbrunner, etc. But when you're in a playoff run, you can't just trade away players for random draft picks. You keep trying to compare the Devils to teams that have a very different last 10 years or so.

Yeah all you just said is true and everyone knows all of that already and my all out wtv description what really focusing on FA or forfeiting draft pick and stuff like that. Not in the Holmgren kind of stupid make a splash all out way. Because of course yes that would have been a pretty bad description of Lou. lol

i know we're fine on the D for the future but if Lou was ready to take a risk on Urbom and that he knew he was not necessarily in the plans long term, wish he would have traded him for a pick or flipping him for a forward with similar upsides for our depth instead of risking losing him for nothing

Edited by SterioDesign

Sterio:

I'm sure he might've tried to do that, but how much worth does he have?  He got down to the Capitals before he was claimed and they were 20th in line, so he might've gone all the way through had the Capitals passed on him.

i know and it's like i said im not really upset about losing him. I'm just getting sick as the list of guys we lose for nothing is getting longer and longer. And based on our current average roster, our offensive prospects pool and our guys approaching retirement i would really try to minimize the damage of having to fill all those holes. 

If we can re-sign Schneider long-term we're pretty much set in net and on the D but the offence is a huge concern going forward

i know and it's like i said im not really upset about losing him. I'm just getting sick as the list of guys we lose for nothing is getting longer and longer. And based on our current average roster, our offensive prospects pool and our guys approaching retirement i would really try to minimize the damage of having to fill all those holes. 

If we can re-sign Schneider long-term we're pretty much set in net and on the D but the offence is a huge concern going forward

This has absolutely nothing to do with that.  The Devils lost a defenseman who provides no offense and who had almost no trade value.

This has absolutely nothing to do with that.  The Devils lost a defenseman who provides no offense and who had almost no trade value.

He's still a guy who could have been useful and he apparently had the upper hand on the other kids (for now) he got a low # and was sent down last, that means something, Lou wanted to keep him and tried to work around it with the delayed IR thing to avoid him being picked up and it failed. 

He could also have been part of a package on trade deadline if were in a position to do it, its still chips that we lose that could have potentially help. Or if he was not in the plans with other guys overplaying him well flip him for a project forward in the AHL instead or losing him for nothing.

I know simply losing him is not a huge deal but losing him for nothing was unnecessary and could have been avoided. 

He's still a guy who could have been useful and he apparently had the upper hand on the other kids (for now) he got a low # and was sent down last, that means something, Lou wanted to keep him and tried to work around it with the delayed IR thing to avoid him being picked up and it failed.

There is no indication that Urbom had beaten out the other players.  He is waiver eligible and they are not.  I have no idea why he was given a low number, but I don't understand Lou's philosophy with numbers in general.  It could be because they were thinking of putting Jagr or keeping Elias on IR which would've bought them more time with Urbom on the roster before they had to make a decision.

He could also have been part of a package on trade deadline if were in a position to do it, its still chips that we lose that could have potentially help. Or if he was not in the plans with other guys overplaying him well flip him for a project forward in the AHL instead or losing him for nothing.

Maybe the Devils didn't know what they were going to do in the off-season.  They didn't re-sign Zidlicky until late.  They didn't re-sign Harrold particularly early either.  If you have time on your side, use it.  The Devils did, and oh boy, they lost out on a 5th round pick or whatever, MAYBE.  

I know simply losing him is not a huge deal but losing him for nothing was unnecessary and could have been avoided.

It could have, but maybe Harrold and Zidlicky don't re-sign here and the Devils are looking at Urbom in their lineup.  Or maybe someone gets hurt during training camp and Urbom's there to fill in - this is how Mark Fraser basically won an NHL job, he was waiver-eligible that year, he got hurt in training camp, he stayed on the roster, then other guys got hurt, so when he got healthy NJ played him and he did okay, and now he's making over a million dollars a year.

No. The Devils weren't going to carry 8 defensemen.

We could of sent down Larsson, no? what about Harrold? At least you could have gotten a look or showcased Urbom some. Urbom is gonna be a good NHL D. Larsson does not skate anywhere near as well as him.

Being right handed may have saved Harrold from waivers I guess.

The way I see it the young D ranks like this:

gelinas

merrill

urbom

larsson

seversen

I give two craps where people were drafted. I guess time will tell though.

We could of sent down Larsson, no? what about Harrold? At least you could have gotten a look or showcased Urbom some. Urbom is gonna be a good NHL D. Larsson does not skate anywhere near as well as him.

gelinas

merrill

urbom

larsson

seversen

lol the guy's who's done well in the NHL for a couple years below a guy who passes through waivers of 20 teams and two guys who've barely played in the NHL? lol

And Urbom above Severson's almost as bad 

Edited by DH26

gelinas

merrill

urbom

larsson

seversen

Right, lets waste the development of a #4 draft pick so we can showcase a guy who doesn't have any skills that really stand out at you. Sounds like a great plan. And how you think Urbom is better than Larsson is beyond me. Larsson's passing alone makes him better.

Even if you do that, you're still not guaranteed anything. Say Urbom plays 10 games, then what? You send him down and it's the same game we just played. And if you could find a trade partner, is that 5th rd pick really worth having Larsson sit?