Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Go ahead, ignore that we signed Zajac in your whining about how other teams do it better. You're right, we should trade Clarkson for a 6th rd pick in case we lost him for nothing because wooo, a 6th rd pick is soooo great. The chance of re-signing Clarky is worth WAYYYY more than a 6th rd pick.

lol its one thing to have different point of view and opinions. some people got what i meant but they are just not agreeing with me, thats fine.

but man if you still simply dont understand what i really meant and said after all my re-post and detailed explanations of my whole point of view... man 5th grade must have been hell for you. Again, youre off and thats not what i said.

same with me its not that i dont "understand" what you guys are telling me, i simply don't agree with it at all.

Edited by SterioDesign

lol its one thing to have different point of view and opinions. some people got what i meant but they are just not agreeing with me, thats fine.

but man if you still simply dont understand what i really meant and said after all my re-post and detailed explanations of my whole point of view... man 5th grade must have been hell for you. Again, youre off and thats not what i said.

same with me its not that i dont "understand" what you guys are telling me, i simply don't agree with it at all.

No, you said, explicitly that you thought it would be worthwhile to trade Clarkson's rights. Is the chance to sign Clarky worth more than a 5th-6th rd pick to you?

You also made a point that other teams signed big players, so I made the point that you were ignoring the Zajac signing to bolster your argument.

If you want to discuss this further, try not saying team x,y and z did this, but we didn't, while ignoring the fact that we actually did do what those teams did. You just don't want to admit it.

Edited by ATLL765

Anyone have a good list of RFA's that are likely to not be re-upped? Things are going to start happening quick now. Now that that silly trophy ceremony is over I'm ready to officially begin the 2013-2014 festivities.

D'Agostini, Mueller, Blum, Halischuk, Theo Peckham, that's a good place to start.  There isn't really a big name, but I bet some former prospects will also come free.

No, you said, explicitly that you thought it would be worthwhile to trade Clarkson's rights. Is the chance to sign Clarky worth more than a 5th-6th rd pick to you?

You also made a point that other teams signed big players, so I made the point that you were ignoring the Zajac signing to bolster your argument.

If you want to discuss this further, try not saying team x,y and z did this, but we didn't, while ignoring the fact that we actually did do what those teams did. You just don't want to admit it.

No its not worth it of course. But again, thats not what i said. 

But whole point is i think Lou "could potentially" be missing good opportunities by restricting himself talking to players 100% strictly after the season and not during the season. Each case is different and should be handled differently somewhat of course. But again by refusing to do certain things just cause you want to stick to your way, it could potentially prevent you having something good happening to you. 

so yes we still havent had Lou discussing contract during the season (from what we heard and from reports supporting it)

zajac signed before the season, i assumed they we're talking before that and im really glad he did it cause thats off his plate now and he knows he has his top line center set for the next season. Not knowing if you'd get clarkson, elias + zajac could have been bad. But im glad of the way Lou handled that one. But it still doesnt affect anything that i said. Cause it's not about what happened with this guy and this guy, Lou actually has a great track record of re-signing his players. All and 100% of my focus is on the way he's doing it not setting himself in the best position and gambling a lot more than he has to. Thats all.

so basically i'm not ignoring anything there. 

Could we get a mod to pull out the Sterio fights with the entire board section of this thread?  I know I'm just as guilty as everyone else, but this is getting ridiculous.

nvm im done anyway. its getting ridiculous at this point. its fine that we don't agree but its another one that some are missing my point completely, simply useless to even talk about it more.

and to everyone im actually very sorry, i dont mean to be an a$$hole, hated or just to argue to piss off others. I just firmly believe in what im saying and most of my points are not coming across real well or we simply don't agree. We're all Devils fans here, we shouldnt fight like that all the time i figure.

Edited by SterioDesign

I haven't spent the time to read all of the background on this disagreement but the main point Sterio seems to be making is that Lou needs to be a bit more progressive in his approach to free agents which I would agree with.  I understand that Lou believes the players need to focus on playing during the season but I don't think there's any argument that he's limiting his own options with respect to re-signing the player by waiting until the offseason to do deals.  Regardless of moving rights for a pick, I have yet to see the harm in at least discussing the framework of the type of a deal a player would be looking for.  We obviously don't know everything that happens behind the scenes but we've certainly heard enough players come over at different times over the years to say that there had been no contact at all about a new deal with a tone that seemed somewhat miffed if not frustrated by it.  There were a couple of posts by Guilitti this season where Elias seemed to be begging to discuss a new deal sooner rather than later.

Since the 2005 lockout, Lou has been a middle of the pack GM at best.  His ways of doing business, including player management, should certainly not be above questioning like it might have been in 2002.  

On a side note, I've seen a lot of people speculate that Lou had a few deals in place and was waiting to announce after the finals ended?  I have my doubts about that but I've admittedly been somewhat pessimistic about the direction of this franchise since last off-seasons debacle.   For anyone that thinks Elias, Zubrus or Clarkson already have a deal in place, when should we expect some news because I'm dying for something?    

Edit:  haha, looks like I'm late as usual to add my .02 cents  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

My info in a previous post was off.

According to the CBA

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf (378)

The interview period where guys can talk to other teams is the day after the draft until June 30th, but THIS YEAR, the interview dates are July 3rd and 4th. 

Edit never mind. Backstrom just signed for 3 and he's pending UFA on 7/5. Had other crap posted here but it was just my own confusion.

Edited by ghdi

Interesting reports/rumours from hockey360 here.   

its french but its pretty much saying that the Devils are very very interested in Fucale but that they wouldnt take him at #9. Also saying that the Flames are rebuilding and have 3 first round pick so that maybe NJ could try to get their 22nd pick somehow.

Im not sold on Fucale yet, he's been good every time i saw him but i still think its risky to pick a goalie in the first round, especially if you have bigger need who usually need top skills (what i mean is that you can often found awesome goalies and dman in late rounds) while top forwards are mostly top pick and first rounders. but thats just my opinion.

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/le-dilemme-des-devils-fucale-et-les-doutes-hartley-souriant-malgre-tout/

personally i dont think the Devils are desperate for a goalie at this point unless they are not please with Wedge and Kinkaid 's development at this point, and i dont think its the case

Edited by SterioDesign

TG's latest:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/clock_ticking_louder_for_devils_and_free_agents_as_interview_period_nears/http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/clock_ticking_louder_for_devils_and_free_agents_as_interview_period_nears/

Zubrus seems likely to re-sign.

“Dainius loves being a Devil and has tremendous appreciation and admiration for Lou Lamoriello and I think it’s pretty mutual,” Colton said. “We’ve had ongoing dialogue and I’m hopeful that we can work things out before free agency comes around. There’s a few things in the air for the Devils right now. Dainius would certainly like to stay there and it’s my feeling the Devils want him and I’m pretty optimistic under those circumstances we’ll be able to work something out.”
The numbers I’ve heard for Zubrus are three years for approximately $9 million (total).

Clarkson's apparently still more up in the air, though.

Edited by Devilsfan118