NHL 14 GM Connected League (Xbox 360)

njd3b1ink

Hey, I will be making another GM Connected League when NHL 14 comes out. As a lot of you know I started a league for NHL 13 and it went pretty well. We ended up playing through 3 full seasons (the first two seasons being very active). We are currently finishing up the 3rd and final season for GM Connected in NHL 13 and are going to be making two new leagues for NHL 14.

-The first league we are making is going to be the same exact thing as the league we had for NHL 13:
    .As many User GMs as possible
    .GMs play their games
    .No trades with CPUs
    .Advance Schedule ahead every week (most likely on Friday again).

-The second league will be a bit different. We are thinking of doing a sim only league. So basically the schedule will advance every day and GMs DO NOT play their games. This league is going to be focused more-so on the ability to GM and manage a team. So without being able to actually play the games you need to think and figure out ways to improve your team via trades, signings, waiver claims, drafting etc. Without too much thought so far the rules would be something like:
    .As many User GMs as possible
    .GMs Do Not play games
    .Schedule Advances every day
    .No Injuries
And maybe a rule about how many CPU trades can be made per season. (just throwing it out there.)

So anyway, I know there are a decent amount of people who played last year and there are also more people getting this years game, because of the cover athlete. I started this thread to get a good idea of who would be interested in playing. As of right now I know a few teams are already taken (NJD, NYR, Pens, Preds, CHI, Tampa). If your definitely getting the game at or around launch (give or take a couple days) and want to play Then put down your gamertag, what team you want,  and which leagues you want to be in. 

Also I put this in Hell cause i assumed it would be seen by more people but If it need to be moved to Off-Topic let me know. 

Regular GM League
Anaheim - 
Boston - 
Buffalo - 
Calgary - sauceburn
Carolina - 
Chicago - spideyboy26
Colorado - kebrik
Columbus - 
Dallas - 
Detroit - 
Edmonton - 
Florida - 
Los Angeles - 
Minnesota - augustburnsdevs
Montreal - Semenoid123
Nashville - 
New Jersey - NJD3 (Me, Commissioner)
NY Islanders - 
NY Rangers - RustlingTie1610
Ottawa - 
Philadelphia - 
Phoenix - 
Pittsburgh - BackedDiagram87
San Jose - 
St. Louis - Dandim56
Tampa Bay - MartysBetter552
Toronto - 
Vancouver - MysticalChevy
Washington - Sergei Swagtron
Winnipeg - 

Sim-only League
Anaheim - 
Boston - 
Buffalo - 
Calgary - 
Carolina - 
Chicago - spideyboy26
Colorado - kebrik
Columbus - Oiles4Life
Dallas - 
Detroit - 
Edmonton - xdhaliwal99x
Florida -  Sergei Swagtron
Los Angeles - 
Minnesota - augustburnsdevs
Montreal - Semenoid123
Nashville - MartysBetter552 (Commissioner)
New Jersey - NJD3 (Me)
NY Islanders - Floqnaw
NY Rangers - RustlingTie1610
Ottawa - Killer Kittty
Philadelphia - 
Phoenix - 
Pittsburgh - BackedDiagram87
San Jose - 
St. Louis - Dandim56
Tampa Bay - WithOutPaperss
Toronto - xDPark
Vancouver - MysticalChevy
Washington - 
Winnipeg -

Edited by njd3b1ink

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested, as last year, but I usually don't get the game for a bit until after its released so I don't have to deal with the bullsh!t before that first tuner comes out.

The second one especially sounds interesting, I really enjoy the micromanaging aspect of the game.

I'll also be a douche and lay claim on Chicago, assuming I have the game when you guys are ready to begin.

I'd be interested, as last year, but I usually don't get the game for a bit until after its released so I don't have to deal with the bullsh!t before that first tuner comes out.

The second one especially sounds interesting, I really enjoy the micromanaging aspect of the game.

I'll also be a douche and lay claim on Chicago, assuming I have the game when you guys are ready to begin.

Chicago is actually already taken. I will write out a list of available/taken and gamertags later tonight. Your more than welcome to pick another team though.

I'd like to join but being 48, I had to stop playing for real due to health problems, just would like to know how I could get involved but I am a newbie at the on line part due to a lot of people on line taking it like it pays their rent! Please let me know what teams and how to get involved. Thanks my gamer tag is, VS Devils65

I'd like to join but being 48, I had to stop playing for real due to health problems, just would like to know how I could get involved but I am a newbie at the on line part due to a lot of people on line taking it like it pays their rent! Please let me know what teams and how to get involved. Thanks my gamer tag is, VS Devils65

Well we'll be having two leagues this year, the sim-only league is much more about team building as all the games are simmed, and is also much less maintenance than the other league. Skill level does vary a lot in the regular league though so I don't think you would be too out of place in the played portion, if you're worried about holding your own playing online though and are a little short on time the sim-only league may be more for you, but of course you're welcome to do both leagues if you're willing and have the time for it :)

I'm interested in the GM only league    Gamer tag  Aylbert      Montreal if avail?

Do you mean the sim-only league or the league with playing games? Also i'm not sure about the sim-only league but I know Montreal is taken in the regular league.

EDIT: Just checked, Montreal is taken in both leagues.

Edited by njd3b1ink

The sim only league is filling up pretty quick. Im going to post league rules later tonight. In case anyone didnt notice, my brother (MartysBetter552) is going to be the Commissioner of the Sim-Only league and I will be the GM of the normal league. That way we can each focus on our own league. The early release for the game is Friday late afternoon so I will be setting the league up then and we can start once every joins (hopefully by the 11th or 12th.)

Hey, I'd be interested in the Capitals for the GM league. My gamertag is "Sergei Swagtron" (Yeah I know, I'm an a$$hole, yes, it is to troll people who hate that word, haha.) And this year I'm not on the stupid ship anymore so I wouldn't have to eventually dump my team.

Hey, I'd be interested in the Capitals for the GM league. My gamertag is "Sergei Swagtron" (Yeah I know, I'm an a$$hole, yes, it is to troll people who hate that word, haha.) And this year I'm not on the stupid ship anymore so I wouldn't have to eventually dump my team.

Which leagues u want in on? The sim-only, normal or both

Well the sim-only you said will advance a week daily? I don't think I can get on daily but I'll definitely be on multiple days per week so I was just thinking the one where we play the games.

ok sounds good. Just to clarify though about the sim only league, you don't need to be on every day. It's simming ahead every day just so we get through a bunch of seasons and keep it interesting. The league is more about making the moves necessary to get your team to win games. So if you notice that after a few days your team lost the majority of its games you can try to look into how to make your team better.

ok sounds good. Just to clarify though about the sim only league, you don't need to be on every day. It's simming ahead every day just so we get through a bunch of seasons and keep it interesting. The league is more about making the moves necessary to get your team to win games. So if you notice that after a few days your team lost the majority of its games you can try to look into how to make your team better.

Alright, well I'll give it a shot! I'll go with the Panthers if that's available. (so Caps to play the games, Panthers for the sim-only)

Could I get;

1:LA

2:Bos

3:Car

For the human controlled league.

Sure thing. Whats your gamertag? There will be an update about the leagues later tonight. Around 1130ish. The early release for the game starts tomorrow around 6pm so Im going to set up the league sometime tomorrow night so people can start joining. Hoping people will be ready to play by the 12th or 13th.

I'm the Commish for the Sim-only league so I'll post up the rules in here, just ask me if you have any questions

Schedule and Games

- The schedule will run on a 2 week tick, so there will be 2 weeks worth of games per schedule period.

- This is a sim-only league, so there will be no playing of games. Playing games against the CPU to get an easy win will be considered cheating, and if you're caught more than once I'll be forced to kick you from the league.

- The schedule period will advance every day, therefore we can get through a lot of seasons during NHL 14's shelf life.

Trading

- Trading between human-controlled teams is pretty self explanatory, I just ask that you be respectful to each other while talking trade. Please do not be rude to others in the league as I'd like to have as enjoyable an environment as possible.

- The only case in which I will decline a trade between two human GMs is if the trade is hopelessly lopsided. If someone gets ripped off and trades someone like Tyler Seguin for a player like Dustin Penner and nothing more, expect it to be declined. If this happens, which I hope it never has to, I will let both GMs know that way they can restructure the deal if they choose so.

- Each GM is allowed 3 CPU trades, but don't think that you can just rip off the CPU for Nicklas Kronwall. Trades with the CPU are only allowed if you are trading for Bottom 6 Forwards, Top 6 Defensemen, and Backup Goalies. I'll be sure to keep close tabs on who has made how many trades with the CPU if they choose to do so.

Other Notable Rules/Policies

- Injuries will be turned off; in NHL 13, injuries would pile up way to frequently and 30+ game injuries were very common, so I'm turning the injuries off to keep this league relatively low-maintenance.

- You don't need to sign in every day to be in this league, every once in a while I may send messages around to everyone just as an activity check, but you won't be penalized if you can't make it on to your Xbox every day.

- It's recommended that you add the other GMs in the league to your friends list, it's purely optional but it would make talking trades with other GMs much easier.

I'll likely make the league either tomorrow or Saturday during the NHL 14 Early Release, but I won't start simulating until probably either the 11th or 12th.

You cant trade a top 6 foward for another top six foward? And hopefully this years menus run alot faster, the gm connected last year lagged so much.

Ok Brandon covered the Sim-Only league rules and im covering the Normal Gm Connected League rules.

REGULAR GM CONNECTED LEAGUE

This league covers a full 82 game season plus playoffs. This is exactly like the Sim-Only league except you PLAY ALL GAMES against either another User or the CPU. 

SCHEDULE

-Every week we play through 2 weeks worth of games in the leagues schedule. On average it is around 6-8 games a week. It is up to the GMs to contact each other to set up games. With active GMs this is pretty easy to set up. Any unplayed games at the end of the week get simmed when the schedule advances. Depending on how active the league is we can change it to sim ahead twice a week (maybe every Tuesday and Saturday). If we do that we will get through 6 seasons as opposed to 3. 

TRADING

-Trading is pretty self explanatory between Users. Messaging other GMs and counter offering to get a deal done on a trade is pretty easy. 

-I will accept pretty much any trades that happen between Users unless its obvious that one player is getting ripped off. I saw a trade last year that was Duchene and Landeskog and a 1st round pick for Kreider, and Hagelin. I declined that trade.

-There will not be any CPU trades allowed unless it is for bottom 6 forwards, 3rd pairing Dmen, or backup goalies. It is too easy to rip off the CPUs, and its also hard to get people to join later on if a team has been picked dry of talent. Last year Anaheim lost Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan, nobody would take them after that.

INJURIES

-Last year injuries were turned on and it ended up being a pain. Injuries happened nearly every sim period and people would be without top players for 20-40 games sometimes. If the Injuries were more realistic I would keep them on but it became a huge annoyance for many GMs so they will be turned off this year.

WAIVERS

-Waivers is pretty self explanatory. It will be turned on, so make sure when you are sending a player from the Minors to the NHL club and vise versa that they are not Waiver eligible because they can be claimed. Also when free agency comes around make sure you actually have cap space to sign a player. Otherwise it might send that player to the minors.

DIFFICULTY

-Last year we started off with the difficulty on Superstar and it was too hard for many GMs. This year it will be set to All-Star, which I think is the default setting for all online games.

RE-SIGNING PLAYERS

-The re-signing period take place over the course of 2-3 days and this is when all GMs can see who their potential UFAs and RFAs are. The way it works is the game will show you which players are going to be UFAs and RFAs, and when you click on them it will show you what their contract demands are in both years and dollars. After Submitting your offer you wont find out right away if they have accepted it (although if you give them exactly what they want then its a safe bet that they will accept your offer.) During the 2-3 days of the re-sign period I sim ahead the schedule 6 times (2 times per day). After each sim you will be able to find out who accepted and declined your offers.

FREE AGENCY

-Free Agency is exactly the same thing as the Re-sign players period accept that now you will be bidding against other GMs for that player. It is exactly like the re-sign period in that after you submit and offer you wont find out right away till the schedule sims ahead later that day.

KICKING PLAYERS

-I never want to kick a player from the league, especially if they are active but sometimes I have to for one of 4 reasons. If you are repeat offenders for any of these then you will get kicked.

1. Do not quit against both User players, and Computers. Did not finish percentage was tracked last year

2. Do not glitch goal. Sometimes people find out ways to score on nearly every shot and glitch other users. I saw a game end 17-2 once and the winner had only 21 shots

3. Be respectful to other GMs. Any disrespectful comments/arguments with other GMs will be noted and can get you kicked

4. Players MUST be active. Not playing your games will get you kicked. It is ok if you cant play all of your games but if you barely play any of them than that will get you kicked. For example if you have 7 games in a week and you only get around to playing 5 of them then thats fine. Playing only 1 or 2 games a week is not alright.

COMMENTS

One last comment/tip for the league is to add all of the other GMs to your friends list. It makes getting games set up/ trading so much easier. 

The early access for the game has started today so I will be setting up the league later tonight (Brandon will be setting up the sim-only league as well.) We will let you know the League names later. If you get the game early you can join soon.