GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Devs at Isles in the no sleep till Brooklyn ga

Satans Hockey

Something I love about camp this year: we have too many good players. Last year it was almost like choosing between which mediocre players should make the team, now we actually have a lot of legitimate options fighting for only a few spots.

True. Elias, Jagr, Clowe, Ryder, Brunner, Zajac and Henrique are legit top 6 guys. Then you have guys knocking on the door like Loktionov and Zubrus who are borderline

This might be the most premature thing ever, but it really feels like the Devils have a Rodgers/Favre like succession with Schneider/Brodeur. Where you have a player perceived as one of the greatest of all time at his position being replaced by someone right after who might even be better. I'm not saying Schneider is going to have more success than Brodeur in his career, but he might be a better puck stopper.

It's funny because it feels like Schneider is going through what Rodgers went through for a few years where he was ready to be a full-time starter, but had to patiently wait.

Either way, we have been absolutely spoiled as fans when it comes to goaltending and defense, and it looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future.

The only way this becomes a controversy is if both goalies are playing well, or at least the team is winning roughly the same behind each goalie, and a decision has to be made for the playoffs. In a sense though that's a good problem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The only way this becomes a controversy is if both goalies are playing well, or at least the team is winning roughly the same behind each goalie, and a decision has to be made for the playoffs. In a sense though that's a good problem to have. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What?  It also becomes a controversy when the Devils continue to run Brodeur out there even if he's not doing well.

The only way this becomes a controversy is if both goalies are playing well, or at least the team is winning roughly the same behind each goalie, and a decision has to be made for the playoffs. In a sense though that's a good problem to have. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What? It also becomes a controversy when the Devils continue to run Brodeur out there even if he's not doing well.

My point is that I don't think they'll do that. I think if Marty is losing games and not playing well, he'll be the backup in a real sense. You don't make the trade for Schneider if you're going to have a sentimental attachment to Brodeur.

Marty will only get the benefit of the doubt if he's winning games, even if he has a .900 save percentage and 2.80 GAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My point is that I don't think they'll do that. I think if Marty is losing games and not playing well, he'll be the backup in a real sense. You don't make the trade for Schneider if you're going to have a sentimental attachment to Brodeur.

Marty will only get the benefit of the doubt if he's winning games, even if he has a .900 save percentage and 2.80 GAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You don't do a lot of things with Brodeur that New Jersey has and yet they have, continually. I'll be convinced only when it happens.

The 20 something back-to-backs might be a blessing in disguise. Lot of opportunities for Schneider to show Pete that the Devils are better off with him in nets. Especially if he has more success than Brodeur on 2nd nights of the back-to-backs than Brodeur has on the first nights.

I'm not so worried about how it works out because I think Deboer will do the right thing, but it's still not the easiest thing to pull off gracefully. It just be nice to have Schneider starting from the beginning, but that's not in the cards.

Edited by devilsrule33

The 20 something back-to-backs might be a blessing in disguise. Lot of opportunities for Schneider to show Pete that the Devils are better off with him in nets. Especially if he has more success than Brodeur on 2nd nights of the back-to-backs than Brodeur has on the first nights.

I'm not so worried about how it works out because I think Deboer will do the right thing, but it's still not the easiest thing to pull off gracefully. It just be nice to have Schneider starting from the beginning, but that's not in the cards.

I still think they are going about it the right way, by letting Schneider earn the spot in the season. My fear is that as Schneider pulls ahead of Brodeur, the team balks and tries to go 50/50. 

Remember, this has been Marty's team for a long time. In the locker room, it's still his team. They can't just give the job to Schneider right away. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

This is going to be a problem somewhere down the road.  Schneider is clearly the better goalie now and should get the majority of the starts.  However, I personally think the Devils plan on going with a 50/50 split, barring injury, out of respect to Marty.  The problem comes when Marty lets in a couple of soft goals at home where Cory has been playing exceptionally well all season.  I can definitely see some of the immature morons in our fanbase booing Marty or starting a "We want Cory" chant.

Now that I have a little time to write, here is what my thoughts are of the Barclays Center for hockey.  This is just my thoughts on the arena alone and not the actual game itself:

Good: Variety and quality of concessions are vastly superior than at the Rock.  The arena is ultra-modern and does look nice on the inside.  There was free wifi as well as free cell-phone charging stations.  It was also very easy to get to via the train/subway.  Also a nice touch for this game is that they gave each fan a free program as well as a free pin with both the Devils and Islanders logo and the date.

Bad: Food while good is also more expensive ($5.50 for a 20oz water).  The concourses, especially the upper, were very narrow like MSG's pre-renovation and got crowded very quickly.  The bathrooms were very tiny and there were long lines for the mens rooms.  The upper seating areas were very dark and I had to use by cell phone a few times just to see around where I was stepping.  The seats while the same size as the uppers at the Rock had cup holders by your feet so if people had to move in front of you to their seat they were kicking it (I believe the Rock had those too the first season in the uppers but got rid of them because of the exact same reason I had).  Also sitting in section 210 I didnt have a great view of the near boards either which sucked.

Now that I have a little time to write, here is what my thoughts are of the Barclays Center for hockey.  This is just my thoughts on the arena alone and not the actual game itself:

Good: Variety and quality of concessions are vastly superior than at the Rock.  The arena is ultra-modern and does look nice on the inside.  There was free wifi as well as free cell-phone charging stations. 

The good thing is that this is something that is pretty easy to change at the Rock....possibly with the new owners?? 

Good: Variety and quality of concessions are vastly superior than at the Rock.  The arena is ultra-modern and does look nice on the inside.  There was free wifi as well as free cell-phone charging stations.  It was also very easy to get to via the train/subway.  Also a nice touch for this game is that they gave each fan a free program as well as a free pin with both the Devils and Islanders logo and the date.

Bad: Food while good is also more expensive ($5.50 for a 20oz water).  The concourses, especially the upper, were very narrow like MSG's pre-renovation and got crowded very quickly.  The bathrooms were very tiny and there were long lines for the mens rooms.  The upper seating areas were very dark and I had to use by cell phone a few times just to see around where I was stepping.  The seats while the same size as the uppers at the Rock had cup holders by your feet so if people had to move in front of you to their seat they were kicking it (I believe the Rock had those too the first season in the uppers but got rid of them because of the exact same reason I had).  Also sitting in section 210 I didnt have a great view of the near boards either which sucked.

In between periods the upper concourse walkways were so heavily congested with pedstrian traffic it took me 15 minutes to make one full lap around the upper concourse. The mens lines were very long but I've also never seen a bathroom line move as quick as it did so no complaints there. I sat in 207 and the seats were very comfortable but seeing the near boards and player benches were a little difficult.

The good thing is that this is something that is pretty easy to change at the Rock....possibly with the new owners?? 

Possibly.  I know they used to have Centerplate at the Rock which was fine, but then they parted ways before last season (probably due to litigation between the two) and now Aramark is the food vendor and they are the worst.  Plus I believe none of the "Tastes of Newark" stand are still owned by the original vendors like Jimmy Buffs, Hobby's, etc.  I hate chicken tenders at the Islanders game on Thursday and while the fries were decent the tenders were cold, old and disgusting.

As for wifi, the arena has pruguest on there and I got the password a while ago, but the wifi signal is weak and I find myself switching back to 3G because it sucks so much.

In between periods the upper concourse walkways were so heavily congested with pedstrian traffic it took me 15 minutes to make one full lap around the upper concourse. The mens lines were very long but I've also never seen a bathroom line move as quick as it did so no complaints there. I sat in 207 and the seats were very comfortable but seeing the near boards and player benches were a little difficult.

Yeah the upper concourse was a mess.  I couldn't believe how narrow it was as soon as I got up there. 

Also in 210 I had the same problem seeing the near boards and players benches too.

Barclays is a nice arena, but it is much better suited for basketball naturally.  After going there on Saturday night, I still think the Rock is the best venue for seeing a hockey game in the NY Metro area.

from where i stood for both schneider games, brodeur lost his starting job bar an outstanding outing at montreal.

I still think the split goes 60/40 in Marty's favor unless he MAJORLY craps the bed. Two preseason games are easily undermined by an illustrious career with the club. I know that Lou and PDB want to send Marty out on a high note, and honestly, I think Marty still has it.

In regard to the concessions at Barclays, I was on line for a burger from Brooklyn burger for 30 minutes. When I got to the front and ordered, it took a few minutes to make the burger-but at least it was fresh. I saw on the app that you could order food from your seat in the upper sections, so that sounds cool...