2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

I don't think even a Yankees game in the new stadium has had a crowd north of 50,000.

You're not far off.  For the stadium's first game on Opening Day in 2009, I don't think they drew 50k to the game.  Outside of some of the playoffs/World Series games played in that building, rarely is there a crowd bigger than yesterday's announced attendance.  There were some empties, especially in the upper deck in RF, but considering the building holds 52,500 (including all the club seats that the Yankees take out for "official attendance") and the wind chill was 2, the attendance yesterday was impressive.

It really was a great atmosphere, and the views we had up in Section 419 were excellent considering it is a basball stadium.  That said, I hope we aren't in one of these games again for another 3-5 years.  The spectacle made it worthwhile, but you dilute it if it is done too often. 

The Devils fanbase made me so proud yesterday. I couldn't believe while I was taking a subway from midtown a few hours before the game that I would see about 75% Devils fans (25% Rangers fans) taking over a New York City subway station.

And then when we got to the stadium, I still saw more Devils fans than Rangers just about everywhere I went. It's possible that there was about a 55/45 split in favor of Devils fans. Devils fans made it so hostile for Rangers fans during the opening introductions and throughout the first period, it was amazing.

And then our team decided they'd given us enough to cheer about and took their pedal off the gas. What a humiliating loss, I know it's just one two-point game, but this could've really been the nail in the coffin of the Devils-Rangers rivalry. A 4-0 record on the year and beating them in Yankee Stadium in front of a hostile Devils crowd could've been up there with the experience of Game 6.

The bleachers section where I was sitting was probably 80/20 Devils fans, I could not believe my eyes. It was a great awesome event, but it really could've been a legendary one if our team didn't sh!t the bed.

As far as the crowd goes, I don't think the Rangers fans got one chant going. The Rag fans behind me were kinda blind-sided by how many chants the Devils had. Our section was pulling out all the stops as far as chants go and the Blueshirts had no voice whatsoever.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

You're not far off.  For the stadium's first game on Opening Day in 2009, I don't think they drew 50k to the game.  Outside of some of the playoffs/World Series games played in that building, rarely is there a crowd bigger than yesterday's announced attendance.  There were some empties, especially in the upper deck in RF, but considering the building holds 52,500 (including all the club seats that the Yankees take out for "official attendance") and the wind chill was 2, the attendance yesterday was impressive.

It really was a great atmosphere, and the views we had up in Section 419 were excellent considering it is a basball stadium.  That said, I hope we aren't in one of these games again for another 3-5 years.  The spectacle made it worthwhile, but you dilute it if it is done too often. 

I know that crowds of 49,000 people have been called sellouts in the new stadium.  I like the new stadium a lot, but the atmosphere is a lot more tame because it holds 4,000 fewer people, but they're more spread out.  The old stadium could hold 55,000 people in a smaller building which made it a lot more louder.  I also think the old stadium had better sightlines.

I know that crowds of 49,000 people have been called sellouts in the new stadium.  I like the new stadium a lot, but the atmosphere is a lot more tame because it holds 4,000 fewer people, but they're more spread out.  The old stadium could hold 55,000 people in a smaller building which made it a lot more louder.  I also think the old stadium had better sightlines.

You are absolutely correct.  The new Stadium is not as steep (especially in the upper deck) and doesn't hold sound nearly as well as the old one.  It's a very bland and sterile environment for most games now.  For me, although it is a great facility, it's not nearly as enjoyable as the old stadium. 

The Yankees call anything over 49,000 a sellout, because they don't count their club seats as part of the official attendance.  I do know for a fact that when the stadium first opened, it had 52,000+ seats.  What happened to the seating capacity since then, I'm not sure.  However, I truly believe that they simply don't count certain seats as part of their official capacity like the Devils have done this season at the Rock, thereby artificially lowering the capacity. 

You are absolutely correct.  The new Stadium is not as steep (especially in the upper deck) and doesn't hold sound nearly as well as the old one.  It's a very bland and sterile environment for most games now.  For me, although it is a great facility, it's not nearly as enjoyable as the old stadium. 

The Yankees call anything over 49,000 a sellout, because they don't count their club seats as part of the official attendance.  I do know for a fact that when the stadium first opened, it had 52,000+ seats.  What happened to the seating capacity since then, I'm not sure.  However, I truly believe that they simply don't count certain seats as part of their official capacity like the Devils have done this season at the Rock, thereby artificially lowering the capacity. 

Agreed completely.  My first ever game in the new stadium was the game where Luis Castillo dropped that pop fly which led to a Yankees win.  I sat in the RF upper deck, and I had to constantly lean forward to see the game.  Another gripe I have with the new stadium is where they have monument park.  The Mohegan Sun Sports Bar in CF has been a disaster.  The bleachers right next to the MSB are obstructed views.  And it also hides monument park completely.

This year a sellout at the Rock is 16,592 as opposed to the 17,625 number we're all used to.  If you look at our average attendance this year, you basically have to add about 1000 to that number.

last night felt and looked like a sell out it was nice i wasnt expecting that.. and those hot dogs imo are gross.. last time i got them they were luke warm at best and my bun was stale.

Yea last night was a fun time.  The atmosphere was fun last night probably because we were pissed off at the sloppiness of the Devils and the bad officiating.

If opening night was 16,624, does that mean the attendance was over capacity?

Also, I dont see a lot of people sitting in the terrace tables in the upper level.

Yea this one is still puzzling to me.  They didn't actually call that a sellout.  They were probably still using the 17,625 seating capacity for that game.

• 3 weeks later...