Schneider re-signs with extended multi-year contract

GoArmySports

He likes it here and the money's right.  If things get bad, he can always ask for a trade.  I don't see what's so great about Pittsburgh - by all accounts it's become a miserable place to play, and they had a hell of a clusterfvck of an off-season.  Minnesota's the other place.  But if you like it in a particular place, why leave?  I think we've seen plenty of guys come to regret that decision.

Instead of people bringing this up constantly, I wish they'd just go look on hockey-reference for someone with a career like Cory's who flopped as a 'starter'.  They won't because he doesn't exist.

Re:  the first point, I wasn't necessarily saying that Pittsburgh might appeal to Cory, as much as Cory might appeal to Pittsburgh.  It's awesome that he likes it here...NJ doesn't appeal to everyone...it costs a lot to live here (though having $46 million over 8 seasons coming to you kind of takes the sting out of that), parts of this state are borderline overpopulated, winters aren't exactly a hoot (but you can say that about a lot of NHL cities), and it can seem like there's traffic and road construction everywhere.  I've often posted about guys who sign elsewhere who didn't realize until it was too late that they were better off staying put, but I wouldn't put Cory in that class...he was only here one season, had to deal with an inferior goalie getting more playing time that he should have in Marty, didn't get much goal support and had to deal with his share of frustrations...and like I said, the future of the Devils isn't necessarily bleak, but there's enough question marks that I could understand why Cory might not have been so quick to sign on the dotted line.  There's goalies with Cory's ability who, had they gone through the same kind of first season with the Devils that he did, would've said "I might be better off waiting to see where this is going before I decide I want to spend 8 more years here."  He would've had other suitors along with the Devils in 2015 for sure...don't know how many, but they definitely would've been there.

Re:  the second point, yeah, you really don't see too many goalies suddenly "faltering" under a higher workload...if anything, I think some guys have trouble adjusting to less games.  Like I posted, the contract is a mild risk at best because yeah, he's never played 60+ games before, but I will be stunned if his level of play slid due to starting more games.  I'm not worried about that at all, and even if I was, that would never hinder me from wanting to see Cory signed to a contract like the one's he on now.  I freely admit it, long shot or not, I was worried about MAF being a Devil next season, even if the scenario I had in mind seemed like a bit of a longshot.  I'm glad that's over with. 

Re:  the first point, I wasn't necessarily saying that Pittsburgh might appeal to Cory, as much as Cory might appeal to Pittsburgh.  It's awesome that he likes it here...NJ doesn't appeal to everyone...it costs a lot to live here (though having $46 million over 8 seasons coming to you kind of takes the sting out of that), parts of this state are borderline overpopulated, winters aren't exactly a hoot (but you can say that about a lot of NHL cities), and it can seem like there's traffic and road construction everywhere.  I've often posted about guys who sign elsewhere who didn't realize until it was too late that they were better off staying put, but I wouldn't put Cory in that class...he was only here one season, had to deal with an inferior goalie getting more playing time that he should have in Marty, didn't get much goal support and had to deal with his share of frustrations...and like I said, the future of the Devils isn't necessarily bleak, but there's enough question marks that I could understand why Cory might not have been so quick to sign on the dotted line.  There's goalies with Cory's ability who, had they gone through the same kind of first season with the Devils that he did, would've said "I might be better off waiting to see where this is going before I decide I want to spend 8 more years here."  He would've had other suitors along with the Devils in 2015 for sure...don't know how many, but they definitely would've been there.

Re:  the second point, yeah, you really don't see too many goalies suddenly "faltering" under a higher workload...if anything, I think some guys have trouble adjusting to less games.  Like I posted, the contract is a mild risk at best because yeah, he's never played 60+ games before, but I will be stunned if his level of play slid due to starting more games.  I'm not worried about that at all, and even if I was, that would never hinder me from wanting to see Cory signed to a contract like the one's he on now.  I freely admit it, long shot or not, I was worried about MAF being a Devil next season, even if the scenario I had in mind seemed like a bit of a longshot.  I'm glad that's over with. 

Everyone has a goalie already.  Here's the teams who might be in need of a goalie in 2015:  San Jose (they claim to be rebuilding), Minnesota, Pittsburgh, *maybe* Columbus if Bobrovsky goes to the KHL, maybe St. Louis if this Allen/Elliott combo flops.  I could mention Buffalo and Ottawa, but why would I?

I think Cory takes a lot of responsibility for how the season ended up and wants to prove he can be a winning goaltender.  I mean, he shouldn't (although he was pretty bad in shootouts), but he's been on winning teams and he saw that the Devils looked an awful lot like a winning team last year.

Everyone has a goalie already.  Here's the teams who might be in need of a goalie in 2015:  San Jose (they claim to be rebuilding), Minnesota, Pittsburgh, *maybe* Columbus if Bobrovsky goes to the KHL, maybe St. Louis if this Allen/Elliott combo flops.  I could mention Buffalo and Ottawa, but why would I?

I think Cory takes a lot of responsibility for how the season ended up and wants to prove he can be a winning goaltender.  I mean, he shouldn't (although he was pretty bad in shootouts), but he's been on winning teams and he saw that the Devils looked an awful lot like a winning team last year.

I think Ottawa is going to be in very good shape once Lehner reaches his prime.  Buffalo has said they think Hackett is their guy of the future, but I don't think you should write off Enroth very quickly, he's posted pretty decent stats on an awful team.  

Cory might not also have liked the media frenzy that was Vancouver and likes that he can live here and be relatively unknown. For some players that is a huge factor in their quality of life.

As vilified as Brodeur has been, that may have been something that he (along with Elias) helped instill on Cory. I know it's something both of them seem to cherish.

Cory might not also have liked the media frenzy that was Vancouver and likes that he can live here and be relatively unknown. For some players that is a huge factor in their quality of life.

Marty admitted that that was one of the things he really liked about playing in NJ, as opposed to a place like Montreal...he also said sure, it'd be nice to be playing in front of sellout crowds every night, but he enjoyed being able to do what he wanted do around town without too much recognition.  I used to go to a bar to watch football in the late 90s-early 2000s called Pub 46, and the bartender told me that Marty actually used to go in there sometimes (not on busy nights, usually random weeknights, on the later side)...everyone pretty much left him alone.  The 'tender said Marty went in there with his brother Claude a couple of times and said that Claude was hilarious...would basically rip on Marty the entire time. 

I'm sure playing on a lot of good Devils teams couldn't have hurt either...not sure how much fun it would be playing in NJ for a cellar-dwellar.

Not sure how bad it gets in Vancouver, but when people say how tough it can be to play in New York, with regards to the Rangers, I don't think the pressure of being, say, a FA signee or a high-profile player for that team comes close to measuring up to what Yankee, Met, Knick, Jet, and Giant players go through, in terms of being under the microscope.  And I can't imagine what it's like for guys who play for the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, and a few other markets. 

As vilified as Brodeur has been, that may have been something that he (along with Elias) helped instill on Cory. I know it's something both of them seem to cherish.

I actually think Marty got off pretty light (as he should have, really)...you had a lot of fanboys who wanted to see him start no matter what, and lot of people like me who appreciated everything he did and will always remember him fondly, but simply realized he wasn't likely to ever find his A-game again and wanted to see both him and the team move on, especially with a terrific goalie in his prime ready and rarin' to go.  I think the more mean-spirited crowd wasn't really that big (though it was sure loud at times).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I actually think Marty got off pretty light (as he should have, really)...you had a lot of fanboys who wanted to see him start no matter what, and lot of people like me who appreciated everything he did and will always remember him fondly, but simply realized he wasn't likely to ever find his A-game again and wanted to see both him and the team move in, especially with a terrific goalie in his prime ready and rarin' to go.  I think the more mean-spirited crowd wasn't really that big (though it was sure loud at times).

I agree. I think for the most part, people saw the situation for what it was.  I was referring to the general thought that Marty wasn't doing anything to or wasn't interested in helping or mentoring Cory. I was just kind of wondering out loud if the 2 of them had talked about things like where Cory would go, or what it's like being the starter in Jersey. We'll never know, obviously.

Not sure how bad it gets in Vancouver, but when people say how tough it can be to play in New York, with regards to the Rangers, I don't think the pressure of being, say, a FA signee or a high-profile player for that team comes close to measuring up to what Yankee, Met, Knick, Jet, and Giant players go through, in terms of being under the microscope.  And I can't imagine what it's like for guys who play for the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, and a few other markets.

Yeah I always see that as a load of garbage. There's about a 1 month window where Rangers hockey will be talked about in the spotlight and that's only if they make the playoffs and the Knicks don't (like this year). New York media outlets, especially radio, go out of their way not to cover Rangers hockey during most of the season because it doesn't have enough draw for them to sustain ratings on their show. You've heard Francesa talk about how not enough people are into hockey for them to talk too much about it during the regular season.

New York is not some hockey-crazed city, it's a very small step above New Jersey in the department. Philly's probably the most high pressure environment in our area, arguably more than Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.

Yeah I always see that as a load of garbage. There's about a 1 month window where Rangers hockey will be talked about in the spotlight and that's only if they make the playoffs and the Knicks don't (like this year). New York media outlets, especially radio, go out of their way not to cover Rangers hockey during most of the season because it doesn't have enough draw for them to sustain ratings on their show. You've heard Francesa talk about how not enough people are into hockey for them to talk too much about it during the regular season.

New York is not some hockey-crazed city, it's a very small step above New Jersey in the department. Philly's probably the most high pressure environment in our area, arguably more than Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.

The media attention isn't there, but fans aren't shy about riding disappointing players at the Garden.  I've *never* seen a Devils player booed constantly in the way that Rangers fans booed Kamensky, Poti, etc.  Same goes for Pittsburgh and Boston players.  If Nash starts slow this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the booing treatment.

The media attention isn't there, but fans aren't shy about riding disappointing players at the Garden.  I've *never* seen a Devils player booed constantly in the way that Rangers fans booed Kamensky, Poti, etc.  Same goes for Pittsburgh and Boston players.  If Nash starts slow this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the booing treatment.

It's slowly become a much less harsh enviroment at MSG...a good bit of that due to the "real" fans getting priced of their building.  A lot of corporate stiffs going to their games now. 

You are right in that Devils fans aren't as hard on their players, but Kovy was really starting to hear it after that flubbed penalty shot in Year 1 of his megadeal.

Great for us, great for Cory, couldn't be happier :) I mean honestly, I was still smiling about Giroux getting arrested for grabbing that cop's @ss, TWICE lol, but now I've got a smile that should take me to August :)

uh maybe because this guy just signed a long term contract with our team.. for some people it isnt hard to understand why it might be a concern

So what were the Devils supposed to do?  Wait a year to see if Cory could "handle" a 60+ game load?  That would've been risky as hell with him having a chance to go UFA.  Lou was proactive and needed to be, really...like has been pointed out, Kinkaid's, Wedgewood's, and Clermont's NHL futures are hazy at best...no way you could bank on any one of them to ever become a #1-type.  MAF might be available in 2015 (we'll see if Pittsburgh re-signs him before he goes UFA next summer), but if Lou had to go that route and got stuck overpaying MAF to replace a departed Schneider, I think we all would've been pretty bummed, even though MAF isn't as bad as people sometimes make him out to be.

Not really sure how can find a negative in this.  Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.   

So what were the Devils supposed to do? Wait a year to see if Cory could "handle" a 60+ game load? That would've been risky as hell with him having a chance to go UFA. Lou was proactive and needed to be, really...like has been pointed out, Kinkaid's, Wedgewood's, and Clermont's NHL futures are hazy at best...no way you could bank on any one of them to ever become a #1-type. MAF might be available in 2015 (we'll see if Pittsburgh re-signs him before he goes UFA next summer), but if Lou had to go that route and got stuck overpaying MAF to replace a departed Schneider, I think we all would've been pretty bummed, even though MAF isn't as bad as people sometimes make him out to be.

Not really sure how can find a negative in this. Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.

unfortunately there is a problem in our society of people complaining about things without proposing alternative solutions.

You're right, Cory either wanted a long term deal or to wait a year until free agency where he probable could get an even better deal. Last time we let someone wait till free agency, our captain walked and people complained Lou didn't lock him up long term. Now we get a guy locked up long term and people have complaints.

Cory is now heir to the greatest goalie throne in hockey, with no dragons or Lannisters out to knock him off it ;) This is a great place for him to be. I am sure he is absolutely ready to show the world he can play 60-65 games per, so in that I have no great worry at all. As for the guys we have in Albany, I would honestly be surprised if one of them became as reliable a go to guy as Hedberg was when he was on his game.

If Kinkaid takes the backup job and runs with it, and Lou doesn't have to go outside the organization for a 2-3 years to find a veteran backup, that's a major win.  Clemmer's numbers indicate that his NHL career is just about done...if he's playing up here, then Backup Plan A went horribly wrong.   

Not really sure how can find a negative in this. Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.

This deal was as close to a no brainer as you can get. If he wanted to be here and be #1, you can't risk him going UFA. Especially after you gave him only a half season last year. You aren't bringing back Brodeur, so there's no excuse not to make a huge commitment to Cory.

If they didn't, he'd possibly go UFA while thinking the Devils really didn't want him, and all kinds of teams would throw all kinds of cash at him. He'd have no reason to stay.

I also find the whole "how will he handle 60+ starts" angle to be nonsense. Dude is a professional athlete in the prime of his career, they know his stamina and conditioning already, so they know how much he can play.

Not really sure how can find a negative in this.  Devils needed him and the guy actually and fully wants to be here.   

It's the internet, people will find something to complain about.

Go ahead and read the comment sections on NJ.com or NHL.com, you'll see plenty of (faux) Devils fans complaining about how the Devils 'betrayed' Marty or how they can't believe the Devils have given such a contract to a "career back-up goalie".  It's enough to make your head spin.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It's the internet, people will find something to complain about.

Go ahead and read the comment sections on NJ.com or NHL.com, you'll see plenty of (faux) Devils fans complaining about how the Devils 'betrayed' Marty or how they can't believe the Devils have given such a contract to a "career back-up goalie". It's enough to make your head spin.

If the government decided to give every man, woman, and child in America a check for $1 million (completely tax free), I guarantee you would find people on the internet complaining that it wasn't enough. I guarantee it. People complain about everything under the sun.