The Thread Formerly Known as The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Thought I'd give this one its own thread.

There's cherry-picking involved here, but there ARE reasons to be hopeful.

The Devils are 12-6-7 in their last 25 games.

Since Schneider has become the clear #1 goalie, the Devils are 7-3-4. 

If the Devils go 12-6-6 in their final 24 games, that gives them 91 points on the season.  Of course we'd love to see more, but what's at least nice to see is that they really don't have to play THAT much better from a point% standpoint than what they've shown for an extended stretch now.  They can't afford any kind of real slump, and they definitely can't afford much of a dropoff in play from Schneider, and it'd be nice if they could avoid 3-3-3 treading water stretches, but at least there's reasons to think they could pull this off...starting with a much needed win tonight.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

IMO we kind of have to be optimistic because, like it or not, there's no way Lou is a seller at the deadline seeing as we're so close to a playoff spot. It's all in at this point. Damn the parity of the metro.

No GM would be sellers if they were in the same situation the Devils are currently in.  It's not just a Lou thing.

The reason for optimism is that two goals a night is going to get us at least a point. And Schneider may very well be the best goalie in hockey right now. If the Devils make the playoffs I think he definitely gets a Vezina nomination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason for optimism is that two goals a night is going to get us at least a point. And Schneider may very well be the best goalie in hockey right now. If the Devils make the playoffs I think he definitely gets a Vezina nomination.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i just wish the team didnt depend on him so much its not good.. they leave the guy literally zero room for error.

i just wish the team didnt depend on him so much its not good.. they leave the guy literally zero room for error.

This.

But to be fair, they've been very unlucky the past couple of games.  A total of 4 posts and a goal line dribbler.  They're actually getting their chances.

Thought I'd give this one its own thread.

There's cherry-picking involved here, but there ARE reasons to be hopeful.

The Devils are 12-6-7 in their last 25 games.

Since Schneider has become the clear #1 goalie, the Devils are 7-3-4. 

If the Devils go 12-6-6 in their final 24 games, that gives them 91 points on the season.  Of course we'd love to see more, but what's at least nice to see is that they really don't have to play THAT much better from a point% standpoint than what they've shown for an extended stretch now.  They can't afford any kind of real slump, and they definitely can't afford much of a dropoff in play from Schneider, and it'd be nice if they could avoid 3-3-3 treading water stretches, but at least there's reasons to think they could pull this off...starting with a much needed win tonight.

Here, here!  :cheers:

Of course, if we dont get two points tonight, this thread will be overturned by an angry mob lol

We NEED a couple of goals a night.  I don't care if the offspring of Brodeur/Roy/Hasek is in net, Schneider can't do this every single night.  We need someone to score some goals here.  Or else we are as good as done.

To be fair, they did hit 7 posts in 2 games.

To be fair, they did hit 7 posts in 2 games.

The other team is hitting posts against us too and every teams are missing chances the way we are too.

and all the teams ahead of us could also go on a winning streak and fvck us over.

i understand the optimism and all but tell me that you understand that looking at this whole thing as black and white as you are (you gotta go all out cause if you have a chance to the playoffs you take it no matter what) could prevent us from other future opportunities and ultimately put us in a worst position than we are already

• 1 month later...

Still reasons for optimism.  Devils have been getting some nice help lately...as much as can be realistically expected, anyway. 

If the Devils come away with two points down in Florida, I'll take them..of course I'd love more, but trying not to set the bar too high.  That would give the Devils a .667 point% coming out of the Olympic break in their first 9 GP, which I would've happily signed up for at the time.  10 out of the last 14 games will be at home, including 5 straight after Florida.  Those five will be tough...all of the Devils' opponents are in the playoff hunt (or course, you can say that for all but about 5-6 NHL teams).  By then we'll probably know if the Devils will be relevant come April, but at least they're relevant right now.  If they Devils had gone 2-5 instead of 5-2 coming out of the break, the season's over.       

Still reasons for optimism.  Devils have been getting some nice help lately...as much as can be realistically expected, anyway. 

If the Devils come away with two points down in Florida, I'll take them..of course I'd love more, but trying not to set the bar too high.  That would give the Devils a .667 point% coming out of the Olympic break in their first 9 GP, which I would've happily signed up for at the time.  10 out of the last 14 games will be at home, including 5 straight after Florida.  Those five will be tough...all of the Devils' opponents are in the playoff hunt (or course, you can say that for all but about 5-6 NHL teams).  By then we'll probably know if the Devils will be relevant come April, but at least they're relevant right now.  If they Devils had gone 2-5 instead of 5-2 coming out of the break, the season's over.       

Devils need 4 this weekend. 2 would be extremely disappointing.

Devils need 4 this weekend. 2 would be extremely disappointing.

I want four, but I don't want to be doom-and-gloom if it doesn't happen.  4 out of 6 in three straight road games is pretty good. 

I think the whole two of three is fair.  I know going game-by-game is problematic but something like this is semi-realistic for the rest of the month:

at Florida - win

at Tampa - loss

Boston - loss

Minnesota - win

Rangers - win

Toronto - loss

Phoenix - win

at Isles - win

Florida - win

If they go 6-3 the rest of the month so long as the Rangers are one of the six (that's the only realistic 'four point' game unless you think Toronto/Tampa will collapse) it shouldn't be an issue as long as they don't go back into the abyss over the next week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Two out of three (actually, a little better than that) is pretty much what they have to do the rest of the way, in one form or another.  dr33 is right in that four points (or even three) gives them somewhat of a margin for error for the tough homestand coming up (as much of a margin as they'll ever have, anyway).  10-5-1 gets them to 92 points, as we know.  Yeah, anything approaching an abyss (think three straight games where they only come away with one point overall) and it gets very dicey very quickly.