2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

I remember when he was drafted, Damon Severson drew comparisons to a former Kelowna player. His name, Shea Weber. I looked at their draft years and Severson outperformed Weber offensively. The year after, Severson is basically scoring at the same rate has him. If I'm not mistaken, isnt Damon being used in a shutdown role?

Now, Im obviously not saying Severson is gonna be the next Weber, but he certainly is an intriguing prospect

Well, if I know anything, it's that he's rated well in NHL 13, so he'll def be the next Shea Weber.

Saturday 12/8

WHL

Swift Current lost to Victoria 2-1

Reece Scarlett D: DNP (2nd in a row)

Graham Black C: -1

Kelowna defeated Prince George 7-2

Damon Severson D: 3 Assists (1 PP, 1 SH), +2, 2 PIM (Interference)* 3rd Star

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Prince George 6-4

Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (4th game?)

NCAA

Minnesota tied Colorado College 4-4

Seth Helgeson D: -1, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 1 Shot

Wisconsin tied Michigan Tech 3-3

Joe Faust D: E

Blake Pietila LW: -2, 4 PIM (Slashing, Roughing), 3/9 Faceoffs

Miami lost to Lake Superior State 1-0

Blake Coleman C: E, 2 PIM (Tripping), 2 Shots, 6/9 Faceoffs

Ohio State tied Robert Morris 2-2

Curtis Gedig D: +1, 1 Shot, 1 Block, 0/1 Faceoff

North Dakota defeated Denver 6-3

Derek Rodwell RW: +1, 1 Shot

I remember when he was drafted, Damon Severson drew comparisons to a former Kelowna player. His name, Shea Weber. I looked at their draft years and Severson outperformed Weber offensively. The year after, Severson is basically scoring at the same rate has him. If I'm not mistaken, isnt Damon being used in a shutdown role?

Now, Im obviously not saying Severson is gonna be the next Weber, but he certainly is an intriguing prospect

Severson is being used in a shut down role which really makes his season seem that more impressive, especially as a 18 year old with an August birthdate.

I would say Severson is getting every defensive zone faceoff and all tough assignments. What is a little troublesome is that he is on the first PP unit, I would expect a tad more offense.

Sunday 12/9

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand defeated Val-d'Or 8-1

Stefan Matteau LW: Goal, Assist, +3, 2 Shots, 0/2 Faceoffs, 1 Hit

OHL

Sarnia defeated Sault Ste. Marie 4-1

Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), +1* 2nd Star

Windsor defeated Oshawa 3-2

Ben Johnson LW: E

Kitchener lost to Ottawa 2-1 (SO)

Ben Thomson LW: E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Prince George 4-1

Alex Kerfoot C: DNP

http://www.sarniasti...x/id/1355101944

i really really like Boucher's shot i guess he has the best release in that league or top 2, good example there at 1:00, super quick release in traffic thats an NHL PP goal

Christ, thats a quick release. Another thing I like about the goal is his positioning. He found a place between two defenders in the middle of the ice and ripped it.

On a side note, how about that Galchenyuk goal?

Christ, thats a quick release. Another thing I like about the goal is his positioning. He found a place between two defenders in the middle of the ice and ripped it.

On a side note, how about that Galchenyuk goal?

yeah that was sweet but he's a habs prospect so i have a hard time giving him credits lol

they are both tie in goal scoring with 22, which is pretty good for Boucher. Seems like Boucher is some kind of poor man Eberly, he's a pure scorer

Tuesday 12/11

WHL

Swift Current defeated Prince George 2-0

Reece Scarlett D: +1

Graham Black C: Assist, +1* 3rd Star

Kelowna defeated Kootenay 3-1

Damon Severson D: Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Interference)

Also I had been missing Gavrus as he is in the World Junior Hockey Division 1 Championship, captaining Belarus:

12/9 Belarus defeated Slovenia 2-0

Gavrus: Goal (SH), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 10 Shots, 12/21 Faceoffs* Best Player

12/10 Belarus defeated Austria 2-0

Gavrus: 2 Assists, +2, 6 Shots, 13/24 Faceoffs

You can watch Severson and the Kelowna Rockets on NHL Network tonight at 9. Also the the Miami (Coleman) vs. Ohio State (Gedig) game will be on Big Ten Network at 7 tomorrow night.

If I didnt have a double header in soccer tonight and two finals tomorrow, I'd be all over this. You gotta tell me how he looks

Wednesday 12/12

WHL

Kelowna defeated Lethbridge 3-1

Damon Severson D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)* 1st Star

WJHC Division 1

Belarus lost to Norway 4-2

Artur Gavrus C: -1, 8 Shots, 16/31 Faceoffs

Thoughts on Severson:

Severson played RD on the 1st pair, 1st PP unit, and 1st PK unit. Smooth, decisive passer. He's confident when he has the puck on his stick. Skates well and will rush the puck up the ice when he sees fit. Positionally sound in all 3 zones and reads the play well. Saw a mix of Lethbridge's top 2 lines, seems like Lethbridge wanted to avoid having their 1st line out against him most of the time - they had last change. Not that physical but doesn't shy away from contact when it's necessary. Held the blue line effectively in the offensive zone and had a strong shot. Picked his spots to jump up in the play offensively, probably could do this more often but this is me nitpicking. I got the impression that he's pretty calm under pressure. Also the announcers loved Severson's game and referenced his development in a positive light. It was my first full game viewing him but I am excited about him.

Random Notes:

Rare Mistake: Coughed up the puck breaking out behind his own net on the first PP, almost lead to a scoring chance for Lethbridge.

1st goal: He picked off a dump in mid-ice, was able to stay available a few seconds later as Kelowna regrouped, to feed a streaking Rigby for the goal just past the blue line.

2nd goal: Minutes later on Kelowna's 2nd PP, Severson feeds a shot into traffic in front of the net that Barnett was able to jam home. He delayed the shot just a half second to get the Lethbridge player out of his way.

Penalty: Took an unlucky delay of game penalty trying to chip the puck out along the boards, appeared like it may have deflected off of the Lethbridge player's stick.

Crazy 3rd Period: Lethbridge came alive and dominated the latter half of the 3rd period. Severson was right in the action and was able to help Kelowna manage a few crazy moments to hold onto the lead.

Thanks for the heads up fiesty, I watched most of the game. Thoughts on Severson -

- he gets a ton of ice time. He had 3 shifts in the 3rd where he got caught out on the ice and they still threw him back out there pretty quickly. He was on the top PP and top PK also.

- liked his shot, he got it off at least once, got an assist for doing so.

- his teammates trusted him to move the puck, he seemed to be in control of the breakout more often than anyone else, but...

- Larsson may have spoiled me on breakout passes but too often Severson seemed to be passing to an area instead of a teammate

- Severson did get caught out of position a few times, recovered nicely, but he got beat wide on a rush and got beat by passing plays a couple times. He wasn't a dominant presence out there.

It's real hard to evaluate d men from the TV and in one game, but I still liked what I saw overall.

edit: ah, didn't see you posted first fiesty, can't disagree with much there.

Edited by Triumph

Thursday 12/13

OHL

Kitchener defeated Windsor 4-1

Ben Thomson LW: +1, 5 PIM (Fighting)* 1st Star

Ben Johnson LW: Assist, +1* 3rd Star

NCAA

Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 5-0

Joe Faust D: +1, 2 Shots

WJC Division 1

Belarus defeated France 9-3

Artur Gavrus C: 3 Goals, Assist (PP), +3, 10 Shots, 16/23 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat

This level of hockey would be that of Junior A, maybe even Junior B. This tournament means absolutely nothing other than national pride.

Playing for the chance to move up a division into the top tier and play in the WJC against the best juniors in the world is not overly prestigious but it’s hardly meaningless.

I don’t know if this is the same for other countries in the lower leagues but over here the success you have in tournaments such as this is linked to the funding you receive the next year going forward, getting relegated or promoted can mean the difference between a great programme one year and nothing the next.

Although if you mean that Gavrus excelling in the tournament and putting up a number of points should not be read into that much because the level of competition is weak and he should be one of the best players on the ice given his level of experience in other leagues, then yes I totally agree.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Playing for the chance to move up a division into the top tier and play in the WJC against the best juniors in the world is not overly prestigious but it’s hardly meaningless.

I don’t know if this is the same for other countries in the lower leagues but over here the success you have in tournaments such as this is linked to the funding you receive the next year going forward, getting relegated or promoted can mean the difference between a great programme one year and nothing the next.

Although if you mean that Gavrus excelling in the tournament and putting up a number of points should not be read into that much because the level of competition is weak and he should be one of the best players on the ice given his level of experience in other leagues, then yes I totally agree.

Sorry, that is exactly what I meant. His stats in this tournament run in line with Sergei Kostitsyn at the same age. It would be nice for him to carry Belarus to the WJC next year where he can represent them.

Sorry, that is exactly what I meant. His stats in this tournament run in line with Sergei Kostitsyn at the same age. It would be nice for him to carry Belarus to the WJC next year where he can represent them.

Yeah that is more than a fair point.

The tournament is so tight this year between Norway, Denmark and Belarus for the promotion spot.

GB is looking unlikely to win promtion back to Group A after getting relegated last year.

Friday 12/14

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand lost to Val-d'Or 5-3

Stefan Matteau LW: DNP (US Camp)

OHL

Sarnia defeated Guelph 4-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)

Kitchener lost to Erie 6-2

Ben Thomson LW: E, 4 PIM (High Sticking, Roughing)

WHL

Swift Current lost to Saskatoon 4-3

Reece Scarlett D: Goal, E

Graham Black C: -1

Kelowna defeated Medicine Hat 5-2

Damon Severson D: Goal (PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), +3* 1st Star

BCHL

Coquitlam lost to Langley 8-3

Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Injured)

NCAA

Michigan lost to Western Michigan 4-1

Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 4-1

Joe Faust D: +1, 2 Shots

Miami tied Ohio State 1-1

Blake Coleman C: E, 2 Shots, 2 PIM (Slashing), 8/15 Faceoffs

Curtis Gedig D: E, 2 Shots

North Dakota defeated Michigan Tech 6-1

Derek Rodwell RW: Goal, +1, 2 Shots, 1/2 Faceoffs

Blake Pietila LW: Goal, E, 4 Shots, 12/17 Faceoffs

Artur Gavrus had a 1 goal 1 assist 10 shots in his final game. Belarus unfortunately does nto get through, Denmark had the better record due to a slightly fluke win over Belarus in the round robin series.

Gavrus - 5 games 5 goals 5 assists, 10 points, +7, 44 shots

That's a shame, he was one of the top scorers in the tournement.

I watched some of Miami-OSU - Gedig was noticeable, Coleman really didn't make much of an impact on the game.

Watching these games makes me more impressed with how difficult scouting is - I recognize that scouts usually go to watch certain players, but how do you figure out if a player is good in even a few games?