Shiza! Kariya And Selanne Sign W/Col

Weekes Head

WOW! I am in shock. As soon as ILB told me I got chills. I spread the word pretty quick here and the resident Duck fans all about dropped dead on the floor. The Ducks really screwed the pooch. They had so much success this year and now they will miss the playoffs next year. I must say Selanne and Kariya are very smart. If they want the cup they have a chance. First Colorado must get a goalie.

Is Jiggy available? :blink:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ducks were screwed either way. Kariya for 10 million was just too much. For what that guy did in the playoffs, his salary could not be justified, and Murray wanted to build a championship team, not try to coast into the playoffs and get knocked out first round.

They replace Kariya with Fedorov and go on. If they can't get Fedorov, I am not sure what they will do.

Plus, they have Stanislav Chistov, who will make some people forget about Kariya in 3 years.

OVER-RATED OVER-RATED

Why all the panic? These guys will do the usual , put up big regular season numbers and disappear in the playoffs. Selanne is a no-guts perimeter player and Kariya is one concussion away from retirement.

In case you have a short memory-the Devils methodically eat guys like these for breakfast.

It is a whole new dynamic though...They aren't with the Ducks, they are with a whole new team, together...They are going to get a fire up their a$$ next season and I think they will do quite well...May be somewhat over-rated...But Kariya is a great team player and I think he will blend it WELL with the AVS...Especially since Selanne will be there... :)

The Avs now have the best power play in the league, but they are still lacking depth and a goaltender. Have Another Donut is right.. Kariya's failure to pay the price until about Game 5 cost the Ducks the series and his leadership was strangely absent until Game 6, but by then it was too late. Teemu Selanne has always been a perimeter player and his failure to re-attain elite scoring status in San Jose was a prime reason for their failures of seasons past.

I liked the Avs chances better than the Ducks even before this signing, but I still put the Ducks down for a 2nd round berth if they continued as is.. now it looks unlikely unless they sign one of the big names.

Heres the espn storyAvalanche reunite Selanne, Kariya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne are apparently together again.

The Sports Network of Canada reported on its Web site Thursday that the Avalanche have signed both players.

According to the report, the team plans to announce the signings at a news conference today at 4 p.m. ET.

Selanne and Kariya were linemates with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks before Selanne was traded to the San Jose Sharks during the 2000-01 season.

Kariya, who comes with a $10 million price tag, did not receive a qualifying offer from the Ducks after netting 25 goals and 81 points last season. The Shakers reportedly did not want to pay $6.5 million for Selanne, who had 64 points last season.

The move is a surprise after general manager Pierre Lacroix recently told the Denver Post that the team would not spend big on the free-agent market.

The Avs already boast a solid offense -- with players like Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg and Milan Hejduk -- and many thought Colorado would shop for a goaltender after Patrick Roy announced his retirement last month. Roy's move freed up some $8.5 million. Forsberg signed a new one-year deal with the team on June 25.

The NHL's collective-bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15, 2004, and could effect the 2004-05 season, with a potential salary cap.

(ESPN Article)

No free spending on free agents

"The Avs may have saved some $8.5 million with the retirement of Patrick Roy but don't expect them to put that money towards signing any big name unrestricted free agents. "We will not change our philosophy as an organization this year from previous years," president and general manager Pierre Lacroix told the Denver Post June 20. In recent years, the team has concentrated on signing its own players before any high-profile unrestricted free agents. The collective bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15, 2004, and could effect the 2004-05 season, with a potential salary cap. So available players like Sergei Fedorov (Detroit), Derian Hatcher (Dallas), Brian Leetch (Rangers), Teemu Selanne (Sharks), Joe Nieuwendyk (Devils), Eric Desjardins (Flyers) and Darren McCarty (Red Wings) likely won't be wearing an Avs sweater next season."

The Avs could deal Alex Tanguay or Steven Reinprecht to the Coyotes for Sean Burke, with the signing of LeNeveu and the presence of Boooosh in Phoenix, his days are numbered.

Hedjuk could be expendable, but I see no reason to expend him. What would they get for him? They need depth, not another big name.

The Wings have countered this move already by signing Hatcher. This will allow Chelios to stop playing against top lines where he is obviously overmatched and get him to focus on 2nd lines where he can do well. If the Wings lose Fedorov, they will become less of a high-flying team, but that's good for them.. with the roster they have now, they can score enough and play a much more defensive game, which they will need to beat the Avs. Remember, even without Sergei, the Wings still have two potential scorelines in Shanahan-Yzerman-McCarty, Zetterberg-Datysuk-Hull..