• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

My real concern is a good Rangers team that hasn't had the **** beat out of them for a few months.. I truly think that Torts style impedes their ability to be fresh for a Finals but who knows now that they've had a good amount of time off.. Hopefully he has them eating pucks again soon

Win

If the Rangers win the Cup this year, I wonder if their fans, some of whom will still go out of their way to try and discredit the Devils' '95 Cup, will consider it half a Cup? I'm guessing they won't.

point is there's no way to know how the season will be for them... we could be lucky or play a really good system and make it or we could have key injured players and everything and we could finish in the basement, who knows... we lost a 30goals guy and i really don't think clarkson will be able to repeat, convinced it was a fluke lol i also dont think sykora could repeat a 20 goals season... so we're gonna need some productions cause our goal against will certainly not save us like it was before we nneed production

point is there's no way to know how the season will be for them... we could be lucky or play a really good system and make it or we could have key injured players and everything and we could finish in the basement, who knows... we lost a 30goals guy and i really don't think clarkson will be able to repeat, convinced it was a fluke lol i also dont think sykora could repeat a 20 goals season... so we're gonna need some productions cause our goal against will certainly not save us like it was before we nneed production

definitely, i dont see either of Clarkson or Sykora repeating. We can still be a strong team, but I'm convinced that we need help to repeat where we were last season. We'll still be competitive don't get me wrong

LGD!!!

Yeah but you also have to figure some guys are not going to stay healthy the whole season this year either, especially with the condensed schedule. Any injury to a scoring forward will be even more disasterous.

Obviously, but an injury to a defenseman will be much less disastrous. The Devils used 32 games of Kurtis Foster last year for god's sake. My point was that yes, the Devils finished 6th and on the back of a lot of shootout wins, but they were one of the best teams in the league from the Zidlicky trade on and losing Parise and Ponikarovsky doesn't totally take that away.

We have 14m in cap space tho... so if we're in a position to get players at the deadline or next summer... theres a few id be willing to give a shot (most of them would be impossible to get but a man can dream) Iginla, Getzlaf, Visnovsky (even if our D is packed), Perry, McDonald, Horton, Roy, Weiss, Filppula,Poni, Larose...

and of course im hoping we can resign Elias, Zajac, Clarkson, Zubrus maybe Zid and Harrold, were gonna resign josefson and henrique for sure

also the thing is... i think we're playing 7 times against each teams of the division... and all of them got better, we didnt. by better i mean they either signed new guys or their young star players will be older with more experience. Pittsburgh lost staal but got crosby back too so they are not too bad either. Islanders have lost parenteau too but theres some good youngers in that organization but not sure if they are NHL ready

My patience ran out a month ago. I'm happy but I do think I will have some lockout fatigue. I want to punish the league somehow as well but I don't really have any recourse beyond my consumption decisions. This never should have gone on this long and I place most of the blame on the league owners for it.

also the thing is... i think we're playing 7 times against each teams of the division... and all of them got better, we didnt. by better i mean they either signed new guys or their young star players will be older with more experience. Pittsburgh lost staal but got crosby back too so they are not too bad either. Islanders have lost parenteau too but theres some good youngers in that organization but not sure if they are NHL ready

You're turning into one of these paranoid fans. The Flyers did not get better. Neither did Pittsburgh. I don't think the Rangers got much better. And the Islanders still have no defensemen.

Really? I don't think any of the Atlantic teams got better.

Devils-lost Parise/Poni

Rangers-got Rick Nash but lost a lot of depth and key penalty killers

Flyers-lost Jagr/Carle/Pronger have many defensive injuries

Penguins- lost staal/Sullivan/Michalek/Asham, got Sutter

Islanders-lost parenteau gained visnovsky and carkner

Yeah all these teams have young players coming up but the devils have just as many as the other teams so I would say that's a wash considering you don't know how they will turn out.

You're turning into one of these paranoid fans. The Flyers did not get better. Neither did Pittsburgh. I don't think the Rangers got much better. And the Islanders still have no defensemen.

The flyers other than their horrible goaltending and an average Dcorp now that pronger is not there... Couturier, Read, Schenn, Simmonds and Giroux should all get better they are still young and not near their prime yet... i dont think hartnell and talbot will repeat tho, the rangers got new piece and their youngsters got good experience from the playoffs and will only get better but im not really afraid of the rangers it was a total fluke for them last year i still cant believe they even made the playoffs the way they were playing

The flyers other than their horrible goaltending and an average Dcorp now that pronger is not there... Couturier, Read, Schenn, Simmonds and Giroux should all get better they are still young and not near their prime yet... i dont think hartnell and talbot will repeat tho, the rangers got new piece and their youngsters got good experience from the playoffs and will only get better but im not really afraid of the rangers it was a total fluke for them last year i still cant believe they even made the playoffs the way they were playing

Read is in his prime, so are Giroux and Simmonds. Forwards peak around 25 years old. They traded JVR for Schenn, a big step down. They lost Carle outright and replaced him with nothing. They lost Jagr, which I forgot about. Briere and Hartnell are entering the unhappy part of their careers. Who knows what they get from Bryzgalov and their backup goalie is Michael goddamn Leighton.

As for the Rangers, they lost a lot more than people think by dealing for Nash, that's not a huge gain. Remember how Krieder was going to be a star? He's treading water in the AHL. They do have a good young defense and not many older players, but they're still not remarkably better. And while I think Lundqvist is a tremendous goalie, he had one of the best seasons of all time and I wouldn't bet on him to repeat that.

Edited by Triumph

Read is in his prime, so are Giroux and Simmonds. Forwards peak around 25 years old. They traded JVR for Schenn, a big step down. They lost Carle outright and replaced him with nothing. They lost Jagr, which I forgot about. Briere and Hartnell are entering the unhappy part of their careers. Who knows what they get from Bryzgalov and their backup goalie is Michael goddamn Leighton.

As for the Rangers, they lost a lot more than people think by dealing for Nash, that's not a huge gain. Remember how Krieder was going to be a star? He's treading water in the AHL. They do have a good young defense and not many older players, but they're still not remarkably better. And while I think Lundqvist is a tremendous goalie, he had one of the best seasons of all time and I wouldn't bet on him to repeat that.

yeah i guess youre right flyers lost a few pieces but i wouldnt consider them not as good... at the end of the day it always depend on their goaltender lol they often scorred 5 goals and still lost haha

as for the rangers... like i said... if they play the same system i just dont see them finishing that high, they got SO LUCKY just blocking shots and staying low in their zone all around the queen and were scoring sh!tty fluky goals back and forth. i simply cant see them repeat.

on a different note... you guys have a clue how much gamecenter is gonna cost for half the season? im guessing like $80-100 ?

I'm actually optimistic about the Devils this season. Sure losing Parise and Ponikarovsky and having Henrique injured right now hurts but I still think they'll make the playoffs and be competitive - and as a fan, that's all I ask for.

As it should....the NHL has become a VERY abusive relationship....they just got drunk and beat you again, and now that you're out of the hospital they come back with some cheap flowers and an I'm sorry luck..... frak that....I ain't spending a damned DIME on them this year......

Perfect description of the NHL - fan relationship.

I think it only helped the die-hards get into it, the ones who have the NHL Network (or TSN) and got up at 4 in the morning to watch most of the games aren't casual fans and this really had zero coverage in the US. Thankfully the gold-medal game was at 8 AM on a Saturday morning but still I really don't think the WJC mattered to casual fans. Maybe it helped the die-hards get back into it, remember why they love the game to start with.

Seeing the impact players from 'non-traditional' markets have made on the juniors team makes me hope the damage from the lockout doesn't last too long though.

I agree with you since the only people that I know that had an idea about the WJC was fellow die-hard fans. None of the bandwagoner fans that jumped on the Devils SC run last year that I talk to knew about it or cared at all.

My patience ran out a month ago. I'm happy but I do think I will have some lockout fatigue. I want to punish the league somehow as well but I don't really have any recourse beyond my consumption decisions. This never should have gone on this long and I place most of the blame on the league owners for it.

That fact it went on this long just makes it hurt that much more to me. I really agree that it should never have gotten to this point and I am really angry towards the owners for it.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Saying the Devils finished 6th is a little bit of a cop out. The Devils finished with the 9th most points in the NHL and the 9th or 10th best goal differential in the league.

Florida finished "3rd" but with 8 less points than the Devils. The Devils had the 5th most points and then 8 points later was Florida in 6th.

I'm not saying the devils are as good as they were while the rest of the teams got worse. I think all the Atlantic teams got worse. Maybe the isles are a little better. The addition of visnovsky is big for them, but with that being said he doesn't even want to play for them. I think a 5th or 6th place finish again for our boys is very realistic.

Nash is not a Rangers player in the mold of the team Tortarella wants to build. Plus they lost 2 guys that fit their system quite well in Anisimov and Dubinsky. Plus Tim Erixon and a 2013 1st. That's not nothing. Quite a nice package for Columbus. Nash has never played defense. Nor is he a good passer/playmaker. Rag fans are going gaga over this guy...I don't sense a happy ending for him in NY

Nash is not a Rangers player in the mold of the team Tortarella wants to build. Plus they lost 2 guys that fit their system quite well in Anisimov and Dubinsky. Plus Tim Erixon and a 2013 1st. That's not nothing. Quite a nice package for Columbus. Nash has never played defense. Nor is he a good passer/playmaker. Rag fans are going gaga over this guy...I don't sense a happy ending for him in NY

The Rangers overestimate how 1 big player will change their whole team? Never!

We need to zero in on Bobby Ryan...we have the pieces to get him. Would suck if he slipped to someone in our conference...or worse division

Even worse if NJD give up assets to get him then he jumps ship to Philadelphia the first chance he gets.

Edited by NJDevils1214

yet everyone said the same thing about Kovy in NJ

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.