2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

I mean yeah it's a rule but I could barely tell he pushed him.  It's usually the kind of bizarre 'who knew that rule existed' call the Pats get (tuck rule, anyone?) :P

Kinda bailed out Rex too for going way too conservative and settling for a 55-yard FG instead of trying to get one more first down.

Reeked of a ticky-tack kind of call, but the Jets played well enough to win and did a hell of a job on Brady, who wasn't helping his own cause with some lousy throws.  His OT throws were absolutely terrible.  BB's D gave him enough opportunities to win the game, and that pick-6 he threw was a killer. 

Jets needed this game a little more than the Pats did, but this makes the game against the Dolphins next week a need-to-win for the Pats. 

The big question now is can the Jets find some consistency?  Can they string together 2 or 3 wins? 

Reeked of a ticky-tack kind of call, but the Jets played well enough to win and did a hell of a job on Brady, who wasn't helping his own cause with some lousy throws. His OT throws were absolutely terrible. BB's D gave him enough opportunities to win the game, and that pick-6 he threw was a killer.

Jets needed this game a little more than the Pats did, but this makes the game against the Dolphins next week a need-to-win for the Pats.

The big question now is can the Jets find some consistency? Can they string together 2 or 3 wins?

You guys are going to destroy the Phins next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's the first time in my life I've heard that penalty called. I didn't see the infraction on the replay. I still have no clue what just happened. I know that you can't jump on someone's shoulders or back to spring yourself up to block a kick. Initially I though "pushing into the pile" meant a celebrating Patriot knocked down a Jet.

This game really shows what a weapon Gronkowski is. All day the Jets had trouble corralling him. He's a load to bring down. And he was a 1 handed catch away from ending the game.

Jeremy Kerley stepped up and played like a #1 today. The game of his life.

David Nelson with some tough, clutch catches as well. Forgot he was even on the team...but the Jets got him from the scrap heap and he was pretty freaking good today. Blocking as well

Jets with a rare takeaway on D. That was a long time coming.

The Jets seem to get the bulk of their pressure in the 3rd Q. By the 4th and OT, NE was back to giving Brady tons of time

The Jets never really gashed the NE run defense. There were no big runs, but 4 yards a chunk steadily wore them down. Ivory was great today just slowly grinding the wounded Pats D on that winning drive in overtime. Bohanan was decent when they gave him the rock as well. Powell was likely banged up with the shoulder. Have to say with no Wilfork and Mayo, they preformed admirably.

Hated the play call on 3rd down that set up the 56 yarder. You have a 53 yarder at that point, and instead a terrible call loses 3 yards as massive strong side penetration just blew the play up

Our o-line still needs some fine tuning. They weren't horrible but they could stand to tighten up a bit

Didn't like the push off penalty on the Hill TD catch. Not sure if there was a real pushoff, could've been embellishment.

Milliner played pretty good

Chandler Jone is going to be a terror for years to come. The Bears are kicking themselves

Edited by '7'

Amazing victory for Gang Green, in what was really a game that Rex needed to win, in order to justify his continued tenure. A loss to NE would've been 6 in-a-row since the playoff win, and the Jets would've started to look like BB's bitches. Now off the victory, it gives the Jets 5 wins over the last 13 against the Pats since 2008, and restores some sort of respectability back to the rivalry.

*What's Next? -- The Jets got some winnable games left, in the form of: Cleveland, Carolina, Oakland, Buffalo, Miami x2, and even Baltimore. They've also got 2 very difficult games coming up in Cincinnati & New Orleans. I can't see them beating either of those teams.. but who the hell knows with the Jets anymore!? I didn't see them beating NE today or Atlanta two weeks ago, so I don't know what to expect honestly. We'll be getting back both Winslow & Holmes after 2 weeks, so that should be a shot in the arm.. Cribbs looks like he can be a game breaker, and Geno looks better every week.

*What we've learned? -- If Gronkowski's @ 50%.. and we play New England, AT HOME.. strip them of Deion Branch, Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Lloyd, Visanthe Shiancoe, Daniel Fells, Kellen Winslow, Tim Tebow, Jake Ballard, Zach Sudfeld, Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola, Leon Washington, Jerod Mayo, Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Aqib Talib, in a 4 month span.. and get a mystifyingly fortunate penalty called in our favor, off a new rule that no one is aware of.. the Jets can barely beat the Patriots by 3 points in overtime!!

Seriously though.. 2 weeks ago I spoke on how only 5 teams in the AFC have more wins than the Jets. Now heading into Week 8.. it still rings true. This team is like a bad cold that just won't go away. If they continue this pace, they'll be in a good position to make the playoffs, either by winning the Division, or squeaking in the last wildcard spot in what has been a lackluster conference. The Jets sit 1 game behind the Pats, with both the head-to-head, and divisional records tied. The Jets will no doubt need help to win the AFC East, in the form of NE choking out some games down the road that they're picked to win. 6 more wins gives the Jets the Division imo.. 5 more may give them the wildcard.. and 4 more gives Rex his extension. Sit tight and hang on to your hats, because this seasons gonna be a nutty one.

Kinda bailed out Rex too for going way too conservative and settling for a 55-yard FG instead of trying to get one more first down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/392054154887057408

..this season has been Rex's finest hour. Woody needs to man up and extend Ryan already. The guys won 42 games in 4½ seasons, with Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, and now Geno Smith. His defense is Top 10 every year, and his players play for him.

Cut the sh!t, and give this man a contract already!

Edited by Beezer34

Amazing victory for Gang Green, in what was really a game that Rex needed to win, in order to justify his continued tenure. A loss to NE would've been 6 in-a-row since the playoff win, and the Jets would've started to look like BB's bitches. Now off the victory, it gives the Jets 5 wins over the last 13 against the Pats since 2008, and restores some sort of respectability back to the rivalry.

Not an overly pretty number, but with how dominant NE has been, who has done better against them?

Buffalo is 1-12 in their last 13. Miami is 3-10

also, Cincy just lost Leon Hall for the season. If we can get Holmes back for next week that will be a big boost.

Dalton is ok. Can be up and down....but he's also the worst QB we're due to face during this Ryan-Roethlisberger-Brady-Brees buzzsaw. Dalton throws picks, he fumbles...I think Rex can cook some stuff up to force him into some turnovers. Also Cinci is going to have a tough time running on us.

Edited by '7'

This game really shows what a weapon Gronkowski is. All day the Jets had trouble corralling him. He's a load to bring down. And he was a 1 handed catch away from ending the game.

Gronk's numbers (8 rec, 114 yards) look a lot better out of context...until you take into account:

1) He was targeted 17 times.  So basically, Brady was for 8-for-17 for 114 yards towards Gronk, with no TD passes...that's not really all that great.  That's 9 plays where the Pats did nothing, with Gronk or anyone else.  This is the equivalent of an NBA shooting guard scoring 25+ points on 33% shooting...it's all based on volume of attempts.  You target someone that many times, it's almost guaranteed he's going to have nice-looking numbers at first glance...Gronk really needed to have 12-13 catches on 17 targets for his day to be considered a truly productive one for his team.  If I'm an NFL coach, and I can gameplan the other team into targetting its top receiver that many times (no, a guy like Gronk is not going to get shut down completely, but the "damage can be managed") where the opponent throws more incomplete passes than completions, I can live with 8 rec for 114 yards, no problem.  There's plenty of games where Brady doesn't have nine incompletions for the game.  8-for-17 with no TD passes to his top target is a win for the opposition.   

2) Gronk had a big drop in a big spot.  The fact that he admitted he was angry about not reigning that ball in tells you all you need to know.  The big guy has to make the big play on a catchable ball and he didn't. 

And there's no nice way to say it...the Jets did more than their fair share of stopping Brady, but he looked terrible at times yesterday.  Really just a poor effort on his part.  And the "Let me scream at my receivers constantly thing" is really getting old.  Like it or not, you're not blameless in all of this Tom. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not an overly pretty number, but with how dominant NE has been, who has done better against them?

..the answer is; no one.

Since 2000, the Jets have beaten New England a total of 10 times. --not a number I'm perticulary proud of mind you.. but no other team in the NFL has more wins against the franchise than our Jets. weight_lifter.gif

3 of those 10 wins came before the Patriots were really THESE Patriots...Jets swept in 2000 (against a 5-11 Pats team that was clearly in disarray), then beat the Pats 10-3 in the infamous Mo Lewis/Drew Bledsoe game. 

Since then, the Jets have gone 6-19 against the Pats in the regular season, and split two playoff games...they lost in 2006 (technically 2007)(37-16 in the wild card), and won in 2010 (technically 2011) (28-21). 

By comparison, the Dolphins have gone 6-17 against the Pats in the same time frame (with two still to play this season). 

If you want to include the "before Belichick and Brady really became Belichick and Brady games" in the 2000-on era, then the Jets have gone 10-20 against the Pats since the start of 2000, and the Dolphins are 9-17.  By winning%, Dolphins actually have been slightly better against the Pats. 

At any rate, it was pretty obvious that, since the year 2000, that one of the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills would have the most wins against the Pats, by virtue of playing them twice a year (or in the case of the Jets, meeting them in the playoffs to boot).  It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.  I'd say both the Jets AND the Dolphins have been aggravating to play against here and there.   

That being said, despite the occasional embarrassing losses the Pats have hung on the Jets in the Rex Ryan era, Ryan's Jets have shown an ability to play the Pats tough on occasion, and to frustrate Brady...they won four out of six at one point, peaking with that 28-21 playoff win in Foxborough that was a HUGE win, no matter how you slice it.  Only problem is, the Jets didn't follow up on it until yesterday.    

The biggest highlights for the Jets against the Pats in the TB-BB era:

Beating them out for the 2002 division title on the common-opponent tiebreaker (forcing the Pats to miss the playoffs one year after winning their first Super Bowl).

Beating them in Foxborough in the playoffs. 

beaten   2/3 of the time and jets nation feels pride. should tell u all u need to know.

In their defense, they're now 5-8 against them in the Ryan era, including a road playoff win where they were big underdogs.  Pats have had a much better overall regular season record than the Jets in that time as well.  It's hardly a draw, but based on the expectations of each team, it's closer than 5-8 would lead one to believe.       

beaten   2/3 of the time and jets nation feels pride. should tell u all u need to know.

..to a team that's been to 5 Superbowls throughout the timeframe, and arguably the greatest head coach of all-time?? --YES.. just a little! smiley-dance013.gif

What's the matter sweetie?? You expected your Cowgirls to have more wins than the Jets by Week 7?? --awwwwww. :wub:

i picked dallas to be right where they are. my expectations for my team arent delusional like yours. i pick playoffs, u pick sb.

I don't think Jets fans (with the exception of uberhomer Beezer) really were expecting that much from them this season.

..funny how these kind of things are being said about me, when I had the Jets @ 4-5 heading into Week 11.

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS

..but it's loads of fun to just pull sh!t out of your ass.. I understand that! B )

Beez, I gave you credit for getting it right in picking the Jets to go 3-3 to start the season...I even quoted your schedule breakdown in doing that...but of course you ignore THAT. 

And what you quoted from me was NOT inaccurate on my part.  No one really was expecting much from the Jets this season...some were predicting 3 wins (which I said I thought was ridiculous), and many were in the 5-7 win range (that's where I had them, depending on how things broke).  You were really one of the only ones thinking they might do better than that, and part of that comes from the fact that you are a bit of a homer. 

I also said that I thought the Jets would be competitive within most of their games.  And they HAVE been.  And they've found ways to pull some of them out (Tampa, Atlanta, NE).   

You should be happy, it was a big win for the Jets yesterday, but before you go into full chest-beating blowhard mode, maybe you'd like to see what they rest of the season brings first?   

Heading into 2010..

Prediction: 11-5 record.

Before the 2011 season..

I'm ready to call this season's record.. 8-8, and you can take that to the bank.

..prior to last season..

If this doesn't work, we're looking at a 6-10 season.

..so why if I say; "I think the Jets can win 10 games this season"  --does that make me a homer? :noclue:

I have DESTROYED the Jets over the past 2 years on transactions\moves\signings\trades that they have or have not made. If you actually took the time to read my posts in Jets threads over the years, I am ridiculously critical on them. I have killed the organization for their lack of focus on drafting.. how they killed Mark Sanchez's career\development.. mishandling the team completely. No one wanted Mike T. fired more than me.. how am I a homer???

Edited by Beezer34

..no spinning, I'm just trying to take a different approach then point & laugh. Why should I look at this signing and sh!t on it, without ever giving it a chance on the field? Saying that this move made no sense is the easy thing to do.. which is why everyone is doing it. I don't want to dwell on that. I want to focus on why upper management made the trade, and finding sense in that alone.

When I hear Mike Francesa say this trade was made because of $$$.. I believe him. However, I also believe Rex Ryan when he says this trade was made to make the Jets a more difficult team to plan\play defense against. I have repeatedly touched on the risk-reward aspect of this Jerry. If this doesn't work, we're looking at a 6-10 season. That being said, if it works.. I think the Jets could have an 11-5, 12-4 type year. This trade overshadows the bigger move that was made this month.. LaRon Landry. The Jets defense was ranked 5th in 2011, with absolutely NO ONE playing safety. (especially when Jimmy went down for the season) If they resign Leonhard and draft a SS or FS, in conjuction with the Landry signing AND the standard schedule for 2012.. why shouldn't I feel good about the coming season?

EDIT: Remember this Jerry.. this past season came down to 2 follies. The Cruz 99 yard TD, and the Tebow drive in Denver. Had those never happened, we win both those games. With that said, the difference between an 8-8 Jets team missing the playoffs, and a 10-6 Jets team making the playoffs is preeminent.

Can't just chop out one part of the post Beez.  I could have posted the part in bold out of context too, like you did with the 6-10 quote.  There's other posts in that part of the thread where you were leaning towards that whole Tebow/Sanchez being a good move, and one that could work, and be a stroke of genius.      

..so let me get this straight.. in order for me NOT to be a homer, I can't post anything remotely positive\optomistic\hopeful.. or any sort of encouraging confident statement at all. --is that correct??

This comment is your smoking gun? A post I write where I clearly speak about the; "risk reward" factors of Tebow??

..so let me get this straight.. in order for me NOT to be a homer, I can't post anything remotely positive\optomistic\hopeful.. or any sort of encouraging confident statement at all. --is that correct??

This comment is your smoking gun? A post I write where I clearly speak about the; "risk reward" factors of Tebow??

If the rest of the quote was so innocous, why did you leave it out then?  You tried to make it look like you predicted a 6-10 season, when you were more wishy-washy (but leaning towards good things) than anything else.  Like I've said, in other parts of that thread, it seemed like you thought it could work out, and yeah, I do think that's a pretty homeristic way of looking at it, because I think most people knew that that whole thing had just about no chance of working at all.  Your take on Week 2's loss against the Pats was a bit much too...your team was -4 in turnovers that game, yet you made it sound like they should've won.  And saying the Jets should've been 4-1 through 5 games (when they got a huge break against TB) was definitely looking at everything though green-and-white glasses.      

Not even sure why you're going at it with me today...I gave the Jets credit for the win (as I always do when they beat the Pats), gave them credit for doing a pretty good job against the Pats in the Rex Ryan era, even if the overall record isn't great.  Gave you credit for doing a solid job in getting a 3-3 start predicted correctly (which is now 4-3)...like I've said, so far so good, but there's still 9 games left on the schedule.   

..because the 6-10 remark is the part that matters CR!

A homer won't acknowledge the negative, rarely admits they're wrong, and defiantly insists that team\players\things worked after the notion, despite the fact that they didn't. They adamantly insist, in the face of defeat. If their team does something that fails, they ignore it. They swoon every move\trade\signing their organization makes. They go in hiding when their team loses.. they praise them even in defeat.. and refuse to give anyone else credit, other than their own franchise.

..because the 6-10 remark is the part that matters CR!

A homer won't acknowledge the negative, rarely admits they're wrong, and defiantly insists that team\players\things worked after the notion, despite the fact that they didn't. They adamantly insist, in the face of defeat. If their team does something that fails, they ignore it. They swoon every move\trade\signing their organization makes. They go in hiding when their team loses.. they praise them even in defeat.. and refuse to give anyone else credit, other than their own franchise.

Maybe implying that you are a blind homer wasn't fair on my part.  I went back through some posts, and in fairness, though you occasionally do some homeristic things (like the Jet 4-1 thing), your Jet prediction posts are more based on seeing the glass 3/4 full than anything else...optimism, which I can understand and relate to.  And you at least try to give reasons behind the optimism, even if some of them (like Tebow/Sanchez working) seem like a stretch.

Burying the hatchet and wiping the slate clean Beez.   

• Like 1