26 No More?

Unknown Soul

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should 26 be retired?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Know Yet

I got into a discussion the other day about Dano's 3 and Scotty's 4 and how Marty's 30 is next to be retired.

But how about Elias, is he worthy enough for the same honor, I think so, but know others who disagree. I'd like to see what everyone has to say about this.

New%20Jersey%20Devils%2026%20Patrik%20Elias%20Red%20Jersey.jpg

3982322807_a23b5b73f2.jpg

is there really anything to discuss here?

The fact that the OP says he knows others who disgaree that Patty should have his number retired bothers me. If there are people in this fanbase who don't think that #26 should be raised to the rafters, you need to go root for some other team. Seriously.

I gotta agree with Devils731 - I was number retirement to be EXTREMELY rare. That said, Elias will likely retire as the career team leader in most offensive categories, so I'd say yes.

But really, once Brodeur & probably Elias are in the rafters, I think it needs to take a special talent/soul to get back up there again.

I really think we're only a year or two shy of finally getting some type of Ring of Fire/Hall of Fame thing to honor great, but not number-retirement-worthy, members of the organization.

The fact that the OP says he knows others who disgaree that Patty should have his number retired bothers me. If there are people in this fanbase who don't think that #26 should be raised to the rafters, you need to go root for some other team. Seriously.

haha exactly

I feel the same way bro

The only thing to discuss would be the details of the retirement ceremony. I would want it done at the last game he wants to play, before the game have something special, and after the game retire the jersey or before the NEXT game retire the jersey?

Yes.

More interesting discussion: if Kovy wins two cups with the Devils (same as Elias) and stays for the remainder of his career, does he deserve to have his number retired?

I think Kovy could pass Patty in all time devils scoring, but I don't see him winning more than one cup, and if we do, I don't think he will have the impact that Elias has had on our team. Kovy is just our skilled guy, nothing more, nothing less. Elias is a leader and an all around great player. I would LOVE to see 26 hanging in the rafters.

We did this discussion a couple of months back and the result was nearly a unanimous yes. I don't understand how you get argue against it, really. He's a Devil through and through and has had a great career all in a Devils uniform, including 2 Cups. Not much more you could ask for.

I could ask for Patty to get another Cup with the Devils before he retires in a Devils jersey ;) Absolutely yes, #26 need to be in the rafters.

No brainer Yes.

The larger question is will Patty get a call from the HOF in Toronto. Patty's 189 points shy of 1,000 which would guarantee him entrance.

Elias will definitely have his number retired, it is silly to even discuss that. However, in what world does 1,000 points "guarantee entrance"? Tell our Assistant Coach Adam Oates that....