2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

I figure it's time to put the hot stove thread to rest with spring training underway...

Hopefully this is the year for 28! Countdown to opening day is at 41!

Spring Training TV Schedule

2010 Preseason Top 30 Prospects from River Ave Blues

2010 CHONE Projections

Honestly, I like their chances for repeating and I feel they improved the team in the offseason. My only concern is the innings that Sabathia, Burnett, and Pettitte pitched last year with the long world series run. Though it sounds like the Yankees are being careful so far in the spring.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really pleased with how this off season played out. I worry about an injury to the Pie Man and decline from Pettitte but Vazquez and Granderson are upgrades and NJ is an OBP machine. I also like having Park as someone who can come in and eat some innings out of the pen. I can't wait for #28!

... a week ago was the anniversary of the most important and public game of off-season pick-up basketball game ever. Mr Aaron Boones famous knee injury( hellO A-ROD)

Boone just helped the Yankees all the time whether he was playing baseball or anything else. Imagine we were still stuck with Soriano's dead wood

Boston has the best rotation in the MLB (yes ahead of Phillies). I can't think of any team that wants to face Lester, Beckett, Lackey. Imagine if Matsuzaka returns to form. Then you have Buchholz who should have a breakout year on top of that.

Boston sucks. Take that weak ass chowdah sh!t elsewhere, This is the thread to discuss Champions, not a second rate team from some backwater burg,

Boston has the best rotation in the MLB (yes ahead of Phillies). I can't think of any team that wants to face Lester, Beckett, Lackey. Imagine if Matsuzaka returns to form. Then you have Buchholz who should have a breakout year on top of that.

I'd rank the Yankees' top four with the Sox top four. Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Matsuzaka and Sabathia/Burnett/Pettitte/Vasquez. The Yanks' fifth starter could be a poorly trained chimp that sniffs glue and it would still be a damn good rotation.

Plus the Yanks have a way better batting lineup. Boston's just hasn't been the same since Manny left and Big Poopy stopped juicing. And now Bay's gone too. Yikes.

Start spreading the news ...... :evil:

I'd rank the Yankees' top four with the Sox top four. Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Matsuzaka and Sabathia/Burnett/Pettitte/Vasquez. The Yanks' fifth starter could be a poorly trained chimp that sniffs glue and it would still be a damn good rotation.

Plus the Yanks have a way better batting lineup. Boston's just hasn't been the same since Manny left and Big Poopy stopped juicing. And now Bay's gone too. Yikes.

Start spreading the news ...... :evil:

Burnett - 4.36 TERA, 4.29 XFIP and 4.33 FIP, those are numbers suitable for an average #4 in the league.

Pettitte - 4.32 TERO, 4.38 XFIP and 4.14 FIP, you have two average #4 pitchers at the front of the rotation.

Vasquez - Very nice stat line but last time he was in the AL he sucked. A flyball pitcher in a homerun park.

Sabathia - An ace

Vasquez - Very nice stat line but last time he was in the AL he sucked. A flyball pitcher in a homerun park.

I think you are cutting Javier Vazquez really short. He was terrific in the AL with the White Sox from 2006-2008, and that was pitching in a ballpark that was consistently ranked in the top 4 HR-friendly parks in that 3 year time period (based on MLB Park Factors):

tERA, xFIP, WAR

2006: 4.09, 4.05, +4.8

2007: 3.66, 3.72, +5.1

2008: 4.01, 3.85, +4.8

As for the Yankees rotation vs Red Sox rotation, I'd say they are fairly even.

Yankees Rotation CHONE-Projected WAR

Sabathia: +5.6

Vazquez: +4.7

Pettitte: +3.4

Burnett: +3.1

Hughes: +2.5

TOTAL: +19.3

Red Sox Rotation CHONE-Projected WAR

Lester: +4.5

Beckett: +4.1

Lackey: +3.6

Buchholz: +2.3

Matsuzaka: +2.2

TOTAL: +16.7

Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

2010 is shaping up a lot like 2009 with the Yankees on national TV a lot!

Tonight: @ Boston 8:00PM ESPN2

Tuesday: @ Boston 7:10PM MLB Network

Wednesday: @ Boston 7:10PM ESPN2

Saturday: @ Tampa 3:10PM Fox

Sunday 4/11: @ Tampa 1:40PM TBS

Home Opener 4/13: vs Anaheim 1:05PM MLB Network

I think this is going to be a great season. On paper this team is better than last year's.

I think this is going to be a great season. On paper this team is better than last year's.

Exactly, I love what Cashman did this offseason, it's all a matter of staying healthy. Replacement Level made a breakdown of some statistical projections...

Yankees

Average Projected Wins: 96

Division Title Percentage: 40.7%

Wild Card Percentage: 22.3%

Playoff Percentage: 63.0%

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

LOL That is great.

But seriously, I can't blame him for thinking that. I would be pissed too if a reporter was asking me that after TWO games in a ONE-HUNDRED SIXTY-TWO game season. That said, he could've worded it a little better obviously.

Unlike a certain hockey team which will remain nameless, the Yankees know what to do when they face a team they are clearly better than....beat them.

I saw this on a blog and thought it was interesting.

On average, the Yankees’ 2009 gate receipts for a seven game home series were greater than the Pirates’ gate receipts for the entire year.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2010/04/18/the-ecret-to-our-uccess-2/