Halak traded to St.Louis

CRASHER

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either they're really, really dumb for trading a guy who was awesome in the playoffs, or they're smart enough to know that the butterfly and gigantic pads have diluted the position to the point where goalies are a dime a dozen (check out who was between the pipes for this year's Finals) and trade while his value is at its highest.

Boom! Nail on head. Thread over.

Thoughts

1. This is only a good trade for Montreal if they can resign Carey Price for pretty cheap.

2. Halak was probably going to be overpaid this offseason as an RFA, but they may have been able to get him back for around 2 million dollars. I think that's reasonable. I think they made this trade because they saw Huet's contract (given under much different circumstances) and figured there was no way they could get Halak back at a reasonable price given his postseason run. I am not so sure thats the case. I think if Price has more trade value, retaining Halak at around 2 mill and trading Price for young cheap talent may have been a better move.

3. I don't know enough about the prospects beyond draft position and stats but it looks like a pretty even trade. St. Louis needs a goalie and neither of the guys they gave up were vital cogs, regardless they look like surefire NHLers and contributors.

4. I admire Montreal for not giving into the fans and media desires and doing what they think is best for the organization, but they may have been too bold for their own good. Price in Montreal has not been the best of fits. Giving him a big contract now after dumping Halak is just asking for fans to turn on the team as soon as things start getting shaky.

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botch job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

If the Habs leak a potential deal to the press, you probably have 5 GMs calling with some good offers.

Edited by devilsrule33

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botched job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

If the Habs leak a potential deal to the press, you probably have 5 GMs calling with some good offers.

i don't believe that. there aren't even 5 teams that need a starting goaltender. i'm also not convinced those GMs would've offered more. eller is cost-controlled. the flyers can't afford to offer anyone cost-controlled. the lightning don't have anyone cost-controlled. san jose would have a hard time offering anyone cost-controlled.

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botch job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

Probably true. Tampa, Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Ottawa, possibly Washington and San Jose easily could have been bidders. Montreal could have gotten some salary cap dump benefits out of some of these trading partners.

I don't buy that. Montreal will be the same team.

That would mean the dude calling the shots keeps his job. I didn't mean make or break like the team will get so much better, I meant the dude who pulled this trade will either be the goat when Halak kicks ass/his replacement blows or called a genius with Halaks' bad performance/his replacements' good performance.

and btw I really hope they are not the same! My goodness! ECF!?!? really?!??!?

That would mean the dude calling the shots keeps his job. I didn't mean make or break like the team will get so much better, I meant the dude who pulled this trade will either be the goat when Halak kicks ass/his replacement blows or called a genius with Halaks' bad performance/his replacements' good performance.

and btw I really hope they are not the same! My goodness! ECF!?!? really?!??!?

I don't know if they'll get to the ECF again, but they'll certainly go into next season as a team with a great defense that closes on pucks and an offense that struggles but finds a way to score important ones. However, no matter what, you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

I don't know if they'll get to the ECF again, but they'll certainly go into next season as a team with a great defense that closes on pucks and an offense that struggles but finds a way to score important ones. However, no matter what, you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

In case you missed it Halak turned the team around and got them INTO the playoffs and became their playoff MVP.

Price 13-20 as a starter last year, will basically allow them to draft in the top 10 in the 2011 draft.

They will NOT be the same "team".

In case you missed it Halak turned the team around and got them INTO the playoffs and became their playoff MVP.

Price 13-20 as a starter last year, will basically allow them to draft in the top 10 in the 2011 draft.

They will NOT be the same "team".

Nope didn't miss it. Halak played extremely well towards the end of the season and for many games in the playoffs. But it was the team around him that got them deep, they were terrfic. Don't let emotions cloud your judgment, it's fun to pretend Halak was divinly inspired in the playoffs but the truth is his defense was incredible. So was Halak great in the playoffs? Yea, for the most part. Will Halak be amazing next season? I'd say 20 percent chance. He will be good. That's it. If the Blues play well around him, they will go far.

Nope didn't miss it. Halak played extremely well towards the end of the season and for many games in the playoffs. But it was the team around him that got them deep, they were terrfic. Don't let emotions cloud your judgment, it's fun to pretend Halak was divinly inspired in the playoffs but the truth is his defense was incredible. So was Halak great in the playoffs? Yea, for the most part. Will Halak be amazing next season? I'd say 20 percent chance. He will be good. That's it. If the Blues play well around him, they will go far.

Oh I see, it was a magic wand that all of sudden made Montreal's mediocre defense into an "incredible" one. The Habs got crushed every game in the playoffs statistically. I was Halak who made the big saves, inspite of his defense.

Montreal was outplayed in a bunch of games against Pittsburgh and Washington. Halak was a big difference, making over 40 saves a few times, and over 50 at least once. Price hasn't been able to show he can handle that pressure yet.

That being said, I think moving Halak while he was at such a high value was a smart move, but I'm shocked they didn't get just a little more for him.