grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I just received an email on it from the Devils

Dear Gabriel:

The Devils organization is pleased to announce that it has completed a refinancing of its credit facilities with CIT Group acting as lead arranger. The organization believes that its successful refinancing during a work stoppage demonstrates the strength of the Devils franchise and the Prudential Center, enabling it to continue to execute on its business plan. In addition, in connection with the refinancing, Jeff Vanderbeek and his affiliated entities purchased the stakes of his co-owners, Brick City Hockey and its related entities.

Statement from Jeff Vanderbeek:

“Today’s announcement is good news for Devils fans though I fully recognize fans' frustration with the work stoppage. Our future is now secure and we can be confident of continued on-ice success. Our team has gone to the Stanley Cup Final 5 times in the last 17 years and following the most recent run to the Stanley Cup Final last year, we are excited about our future -- for Jersey's team and Prudential Center, home to the 2013 NHL Draft.

I am grateful to Mike Gilfillan and Brick City Hockey for our former partnership. Together we shared a passion that led to the building of the Prudential Center – truly a shining jewel of a facility and in my view one of the best arenas in the entire world. The Rock is a great legacy for which we will always be proud.”

Sincerely,

The New Jersey Devils

#42 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Larry Brooks headline: Devils Refinance; Set for Move to Halifax?
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#43 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

And the debt on the team maybe less but that's just because its increased on the building. he combined his assets (building and team) to add more value to the entire enterprise and work down the debt.

Based on what TG is saying I believe the Devils have no debt now and the Arena debt increased by about $40 million, so a net decrease of $40 million to their total debt, and with the arena being a more solid asset, their total rate should be decreased as well, but that more solid asset may be balanced out by the increase in their debt/asset ratio, so maybe not.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#44 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I just received an email on it from the Devils

Dear Gabriel:

The Devils organization is pleased to announce that it has completed a refinancing of its credit facilities with CIT Group acting as lead arranger. The organization believes that its successful refinancing during a work stoppage demonstrates the strength of the Devils franchise and the Prudential Center, enabling it to continue to execute on its business plan. In addition, in connection with the refinancing, Jeff Vanderbeek and his affiliated entities purchased the stakes of his co-owners, Brick City Hockey and its related entities.

Statement from Jeff Vanderbeek:

“Today’s announcement is good news for Devils fans though I fully recognize fans' frustration with the work stoppage. Our future is now secure and we can be confident of continued on-ice success. Our team has gone to the Stanley Cup Final 5 times in the last 17 years and following the most recent run to the Stanley Cup Final last year, we are excited about our future -- for Jersey's team and Prudential Center, home to the 2013 NHL Draft.

I am grateful to Mike Gilfillan and Brick City Hockey for our former partnership. Together we shared a passion that led to the building of the Prudential Center – truly a shining jewel of a facility and in my view one of the best arenas in the entire world. The Rock is a great legacy for which we will always be proud.”

Sincerely,

The New Jersey Devils

I received the same letter except it was Dear Lindsey. I didn't know my name changed. ;)
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#45 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#46 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

My concern is if the arena defaults...which I don't think will happen...but if the arena defaults or if JVB runs up Devils debt again and tries this all over again.

Edited by TheMazz, 03 January 2013 - 11:42 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#47 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

The Devils are basically sitting in the arena rent free. There is nothing but a winning situation for JVB and the Devils in this situation. JVB bundles the Devils debt into the arena, which is making money, which in turns pays off the Devils debt. I don't see a problem here.

1dun.jpg

#48 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Me neither.

However, was I the only one who thought the email was about the end of the lockout?
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#49 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

JVB is one sly fox. Say what you will, but relatively speaking, he has set up one of the most favorable financial situations in the upcoming decade or two for a franchise to be in. When you look at how the other franchises are run, and where/how their money comes from, the Devils (like someone just mentioned above) are pretty much operating rent-free with a world-class arena that is capable of sustaining the team. It took some risky maneuvering but from my limited knowledge on the subject, it looks like he's done a pretty good job at favorably positioning the team for the long-run here..

#50 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

JVB is one sly fox. Say what you will, but relatively speaking, he has set up one of the most favorable financial situations in the upcoming decade or two for a franchise to be in. When you look at how the other franchises are run, and where/how their money comes from, the Devils (like someone just mentioned above) are pretty much operating rent-free with a world-class arena that is capable of sustaining the team. It took some risky maneuvering but from my limited knowledge on the subject, it looks like he's done a pretty good job at favorably positioning the team for the long-run here..

Ya as a Devils fan and Newark resident I find myself torn on this. The arena is in my mind a net positive for the city and has created a better overall impression of Newark that could have existed otherwise. I think it has also solidified the core areas between Broad and Penn Station and given momentum to development. That being said moving forward without paying rent and having the city pay them has the reciped for a disaster so I hope a better situation comes about long term.

#51 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Ya as a Devils fan and Newark resident I find myself torn on this. The arena is in my mind a net positive for the city and has created a better overall impression of Newark that could have existed otherwise. I think it has also solidified the core areas between Broad and Penn Station and given momentum to development. That being said moving forward without paying rent and having the city pay them has the reciped for a disaster so I hope a better situation comes about long term.

I seriously doubt anything in that lease changes one bit unless VBK sells the team outright and new ownership comes in willing to renogiate the lease(which I doubt because paying $300k or whatever it was in rent after the city pays the Devils $2.7M for the parking revenues, is a REALLY good deal)

Though I agree that this kinda sucks for Newark, even if the arena is good for the city.

#52 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, can totally understand why you'd be torn. We'll never know exactly what went down at the bargaining table between JVB and Sharpe James, or just what JVB's intentions were, whether exploitative or as a hockey fan with a good eye. If it was my neighborhood, maybe I'd be pissed? But from the outside looking in, it's a great situation to be in (I think), and hopefully some continued success spills over to positively affect the surrounding areas the way it did this past May and June. The jobs and the spirits of the people around the arena were running pretty high and positive.

#53 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, can totally understand why you'd be torn. We'll never know exactly what went down at the bargaining table between JVB and Sharpe James, or just what JVB's intentions were, whether exploitative or as a hockey fan with a good eye. If it was my neighborhood, maybe I'd be pissed? But from the outside looking in, it's a great situation to be in (I think), and hopefully some continued success spills over to positively affect the surrounding areas the way it did this past May and June. The jobs and the spirits of the people around the arena were running pretty high and positive.

It's definitely a plus when you get an extra 25 or so dates in the spring for a playoff run. Gotta have employees working, getting paid. Money that will likely get spent in the area, as I can't imagine a lot of the employees commute very far to work there.

#54 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Where was the NY Post's insider source of doom on this one?!? Jeez some real news comes along and all of a sudden they know nothing

I guess the Devils straightening out their finances makes for boring news copy as far as the Post's Business section is concerned. They probably figure nobody in New York cares about the Devils except when the franchise might be going under.

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I guess the Devils straightening out their finances makes for boring news copy as far as the Post's Business section is concerned. They probably figure nobody in New York cares about the Devils except when the franchise might be going under.

They're a tabloid. Not a real newspaper. Part of their schtick is to rip and knock the Devils because they're not the Rangers. Look at the clown that is Neverson. As long as he's drawing a paycheck from the Post, kinda hard to take those tools seriously.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#56 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

That is one high falutin huckster right there!

As long as Booker is Mayor and JVB owns this team, I can't see any re-working of that arena lease, especially after Booker's idiotic/apocoliptic news conference follwoing the release of the arbiter's decision. BTW, I don't remember it being discussed here, but back in November 2012 the City of Newark lost their appeal of the arbitration decision.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 04 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,901 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

It's definitely a plus when you get an extra 25 or so dates in the spring for a playoff run. Gotta have employees working, getting paid. Money that will likely get spent in the area, as I can't imagine a lot of the employees commute very far to work there.

It's a bunch of minimum-wage-ish jobs. The trouble is that so much of the money spent at the arena goes to the owner and the players, neither of whom live in the area, so the area really doesn't get the full benefit at all.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

They're a tabloid. Not a real newspaper. Part of their schtick is to rip and knock the Devils because they're not the Rangers. Look at the clown that is Neverson. As long as he's drawing a paycheck from the Post, kinda hard to take those tools seriously.

Posted Image
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#59 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

PURE GOLD

#60 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Well this has definitely been a very good week for the Devils.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users