Just imagine a sold out rock full of devils fans

davemooch

I can explain the 97-98 number. It was our lone full season with Gilmour and was the last season before they really jacked up ticket prices from family friendly to corporate friendly. Not that Gilmour did much here but he had a huge effect on ticket sales. His first game here had a walk up of 1200 people. The box office was a madhouse that night.

That link is actually pretty fascinating when you really look at the numbers, especially in markets where they say have the best and most rabid fan bases. Look at Minnesota, who has pretty much sold out every game for the last decade and see them averaging 7800 one year and not breaking 14,000 before they moved. The "always" sold out Rangers with 15,000 in 90-91, and I'm sure their average fan could actually afford tickets back then. Quebec was barely drawing more than we were in the early 90s. Winnipeg drew less in the 90s than the Thrashers in the 2000s yet they're back in Winnipeg. Even the Habs drew almost 3000 less than their capacity one season. I realize those teams probably had several bad years in a row to sink to those low numbers but it still kind of takes the wind out of their sails as far as their legend goes.

The Devils were well over 16,000 from 94-95 to 98-99. Gilmour may have been the reason for the spike over 17,000 but the attendance was pretty good back then.

Back in those days my family has an 18 game weekend plan. I remember pretty much all the Friday, Saturday and Sunday games were sold out or close no matter who the oppenent. The weekday games always drew terribly unless they were playing the Rangers, Flyers or Penguins.

I can explain the 97-98 number. It was our lone full season with Gilmour and was the last season before they really jacked up ticket prices from family friendly to corporate friendly. Not that Gilmour did much here but he had a huge effect on ticket sales. His first game here had a walk up of 1200 people. The box office was a madhouse that night.

I remember the buzz when we got Killer. The fanbase has always been more tuned in whenever we get a big name, (Nieuwendyk, Mogilny, etc) but the reaction from Gilmour was BIG. I sometimes wonder if such interest would remain as high, in this day and age.

..if tomorrow the Devils acquire Jarome Iginla, would there be a 1,200 walk up?

Edited by Beezer34

Fact of the matter is that this fan base is still too young to come out in droves all season long, but we are close.. The Devils had such an overwhelming turnout from college night against the Caps (sold it out) that hey offered it again for the Buffalo game (which also sold out).. The core of the fan base is still in high school and college, but with a competitive team on the ice in 5 years I can see us at 90% or more for the season

Just have to be patient.. Dee fans either came from Ranger families or became Rags fans after 1994 when they were cup champs and we were a team about to move elsewhere..

These past few games have had huge turnouts and the crowd has been on the you get side (16-30).. Give it time and we will have a very good, consistent attendance

I went to every game while I was home and loved every second of it. Okay, maybe not the rout by Boston but still.

I want a shore command center in NY next year. It's in Staten Island. I would be all over season tickets. For sure.

What is a "shore command center" and how does said command center bring the team any money/ROI? (especially given that you say it's in New York).. Just curious as to what you mean

What is a "shore command center" and how does said command center bring the team any money/ROI? (especially given that you say it's in New York).. Just curious as to what you mean

I'm sorry for not putting enough information. I'm in the CG and stationed in Florida. I was home on leave for the holidays. Next year I transfer and I am hoping to get that station. As for why NY, there are no command centers in Jersey unfortunately. Just Philly and NY. And the specific job I have does not allow me to go to any of the small boat stations along the Jersey shore. The only place in Jersey I could ever go to is the Air Station in Atlantic City or the two large ships in Cape May. Both of which I would not be opposed to, but for my career specifically I'd rather go to what I originally stated. Plus it's closer to the Rock and is just as close to Toms River as far as seeing my family and stuff.

At least you have the Statin Island option. I was stuck with Pensacola and Norfolk. :P

At least you have the Statin Island option. I was stuck with Pensacola and Norfolk. :P

Norfolk is such an icky place. I do like Chesapeake though. I was there for a week-long school. At least they have Wawa there, lol.

I am not fond of Staten Island, lol, but the proximity to the Rock / Home would make it awesome for me. I hope it is available. Philly would be cool too. I could live in Jersey either way.

Statin Island get's a lot of crap, but... well, I've never personally lived there, but I've had friends who have, and it's a lot like Jersey from what I hear.