NHLPA Denies Realignment

Marshall

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7434057/nhl-delays-realignment-plan-modified-playoffs-format

Seems like Staal is a whiny b*tch about leaving an easy divison...

You're really going to say that when 90% of people here were giving the Charlie Brown 'WE'RE DOOMED!!!' atitude about the new division and how we'd never make the playoffs anymore?

You're really going to say that when 90% of people here were giving the Charlie Brown 'WE'RE DOOMED!!!' atitude about the new division and how we'd never make the playoffs anymore?

Well, it's not like we'd be doomed, but it does seem a bit unfair to have 5 of the 6 teams in the new division be perennial playoff contenders. I know Washington has struggled this year, but they're starting to look better recently under their new coach. Carolina and maybe NYI would be the only truly "weak" teams in that new division. I also really didn't like the idea of having uneven divisions and then having divisional playoffs for the first two rounds. It's completely unfair to teams in the tougher divisions and then for the teams in divisions with an extra team. It's kinda bs that a team in our division would always get stuck playing Pitt or Philly who, the past few years, have been VERY strong teams and now with NY being a decent club this year, it's only that much harder.

I think it should be set up with two conferences so that the number of teams are equal and I liked playing different teams each year rather than playing the same few teams again and again. The goal should be equality and parity, not to save money on travel or some dumb bs like that. The teams and players can deal with a little extra travel so that they all have a much more equal chance at making the playoffs and getting a shot at the cup. I know I wouldn't care about a few extra frequent flyer miles in order to have a better shot at making the playoffs.

They should have just made a straight one for one swap or moved Winnipeg to the NW division, Minn to the central and either Columbus or Nashville to the Southeast. Keep it simple, if Detroit wants to whine about it, too bad for them, they aren't exactly getting crushed year after year where they are now. If Nashville gets into the SE division, they might actually have a decent shot at the playoffs with how weak that division is this year at least.

The thing is, team strengths tend to ebb and flow over time. You could look at what was going to be our conference and think "wow", but 10 years from now the makeup of the league will be completely different. I tend to believe that Eastern teams, and the Atlantic seaboard teams in particular, will always be somewhat stronger than the rest of the league for various reasons, but every team in our area has sucked at some point (some more than others).

So based on what zach said...

"I was surprised to hear that it didn't go through," New Jersey captain Zach Parise said. "I didn't like the change in the playoff format, so it's not bad for us. But I know some teams are going to be upset with the travel. I personally like it the way it is and didn't want any changes."

Im gonna look way too much into it and point out that if he said that it would not be bad for "us"... And that the subject was next year... Sooooooooo zach sees himself in NJ next season!!!!

Im obviously joking here but hey... We'll take it lol

So based on what zach said...

"I was surprised to hear that it didn't go through," New Jersey captain Zach Parise said. "I didn't like the change in the playoff format, so it's not bad for us. But I know some teams are going to be upset with the travel. I personally like it the way it is and didn't want any changes."

Im gonna look way too much into it and point out that if he said that it would not be bad for "us"... And that the subject was next year... Sooooooooo zach sees himself in NJ next season!!!!

Im obviously joking here but hey... We'll take it lol

That might be looking too much into it, but it's a good point that he spoke about that in a way that says he was thinking about how it'd affect the team next year. Doesn't make sense that he'd care if he was set on leaving in the offseason.

That might be looking too much into it, but it's a good point that he spoke about that in a way that says he was thinking about how it'd affect the team next year. Doesn't make sense that he'd care if he was set on leaving in the offseason.

Not to piss on the parade here, but Gomez recorded a 'Welcome to the Rock' video the last year in the Meadowlands that was promoting the opening the following season. So I wouldn't read too much into Zach's comments.

Not to piss on the parade here, but Gomez recorded a 'Welcome to the Rock' video the last year in the Meadowlands that was promoting the opening the following season. So I wouldn't read too much into Zach's comments.

Yes, but Gomez was filth and Zach is our beloved Captain xxox lol

Unless he wants to go to another team in the division :whistling:

Nah, actually, Zach is a loyal guy (kind of to a fault, apparently...). As a matter of fact, there was an article in the WSJ last night (which means that it was probably in the paper today) where his dad was talking about how he needs to shop around the league some. He's said himself that he plans on staying, and I'm willing to take his word on it (unlike... anyone who's a fan or reporter of any other team, apparently). Unless the Devils lowball him, of course. I just don't see that happening, because it's obvious to me that Lou has maneuvered his cap space in such a manner that resigning Zach won't be a problem.

Nah, actually, Zach is a loyal guy (kind of to a fault, apparently...). As a matter of fact, there was an article in the WSJ last night (which means that it was probably in the paper today) where his dad was talking about how he needs to shop around the league some. He's said himself that he plans on staying, and I'm willing to take his word on it (unlike... anyone who's a fan or reporter of any other team, apparently). Unless the Devils lowball him, of course. I just don't see that happening, because it's obvious to me that Lou has maneuvered his cap space in such a manner that resigning Zach won't be a problem.

Honestly he can say he is staying until he is blue in the face, but I'm not going to believe him until he signs a contract with us. The devils, as well as other teams in the league, have been burned plenty of times by players who say they want to stay but at the first minute of free agency they skip town.

Does anyone really expect parise to say anything else other than what he has been saying even if he has made his mind up already that he is leaving? Aside a few exceptions, it is still pretty rare for a player to say in a contract year that he is leaving ASAP and he is leaving no matter what his current team offers.

Honestly he can say he is staying until he is blue in the face,

Which is exactly what he's done. :P

Then he get's all pissy with reporters, and the story becomes "Parise unhappy with Devils". :argh: lol

No, I know, and you're right. I really, really hope that us fans aren't disappointed, but I'm pretty confident for a few reasons which I believe are reasonable. From the team's management side, they've made all of the correct moves to retain him (dumping Rolston/Hunter, Buying out White, and actually going out and grabbing Foster fits in as well, since it shows some commitment towards doing something this season). Added on to that is Zach's side. Of course you expect him to say something about wanting to stay, but it's the tone of what he's saying as much as the actual words he's using. I mean, it's not the usual pablum about "this is a great teams, blah, blah, blah..." He's been getting shorter with the media lately (and can you blame the guy, really?), but the kinds of statements that started this discussion are very typical of him (talking about "his team", "us", things like that...).

Regardless, there's going to be an absolute deluge of speculation for the next month or so. It makes good copy, after all. There's no need to stick our collective heads in the sand over this, and us as fans shouldn't quit worrying about it. My only point is to keep things in perspective. 3/4 of what's going on is nothing but media hype. Remember, you're the product when it comes to all of this. They make money by you reading their stories, so they're going to come up with the most salacious content that the facts will allow (and, in the case of the New York Post, some of the most salacious content that won't get them sued...).