2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

As happy as I am with the offensive outburst there always tends to be a let down in the following games. Hopefully that isn't the case, I'd love for them to sweep the A's this weekend. Nice to see a guy like Laird I've been following since his draft finally get in a big league game and have a memorable first game.

I don't want to judge Hughes off of one or even the few starts since his DL stint but tonight was really frustrating. It's no secret the Yankees need starting pitching but apparently the Rockies would need to be blown away for Jimenez (rightfully so) and I don't see Cashman going overboard for him (then again he doesn't appear to have the final say). Unfortunately the trade market is pretty weak. This is a playoff team but they're going to need a lot to go right at the right time come October to be legit. It's going to be a helluva ride for sure.

12 runs in the first inning. Well done, boys.

Also, with Ubaldo now off the market, does anyone else feel that the Yanks do nothing tomorrow (or very little)?

Today was a very enjoyable day, my bro lucked out and had tickets to the night game, so jealous right now. :P

In terms of trades there is really no one left out there that I see making sense, given what other teams would want. It sucks since they really could use another starter but its just a weak market this year.

Unless Felix decides he doesn't like all of the rain or the Marlins realize they won't be able to keep Johnson anyway, I don't want the yankees to try to make a "splash" with a pitcher. It would stink to see us not add any pitching help, but it would stink even more if we traded a top prospect for a pitcher who won't come in and be an ace.

Agreed. Regarding Johnson his injury issues scare me so much I wouldn't give up what the Marlins asking price would be. Though he is most likely out for the year last I heard so its a bit of a mute point. I'd go nuts trying to pry Felix away from Seattle but they seem to be legit when they say they aren't considering moving him.

http://riveraveblues.com/2011/07/banuelos-promoted-to-triple-a-53435/

Via Jack Curry, the Yankees are promoting Manny Banuelos to Triple-A Scranton for his next start. Curry says this will help the Yankees determine if he’s a viable big league option later in the season, so it doesn’t sound like a one-time spot start. Banuelos’ season stats are in the sidebar, an he’s struck out 38 in his last seven starts (35 IP). There aren’t many 20-year-olds in Triple-A, Manny’s way ahead of the curve.

Haven't seen the Yanks win a game like this in while. Really gutted it out. Great performance by the bullpen, especially Rafael Soriano's performance. Hopefully he can be a factor going forward. We got first place, no let's not give it back!

• 3 weeks later...

BIGGGGG things from tonight, what a great game... down 1-7 in the 5th inning, no less.

On another note, can we please get AJ out of the lineup? maybe one more chance but all he is doing is proving how much of a scrub he is. He is seriously sooooooo difficult to watch.

CC

Nova

Hughes

Colon

Garcia

And when we get to the playoffs, leave either one, or both (Garcia, Colon) out

Yeah, AJ is complete garbage (and I'm still not buying the story he and Girardi tried to sell after his last temper tantrum) and I can't see him anywhere on the post season roster. Really his only purpose at this point would be to help eat innings in the 5 game series against the Orioles...but this storm is really going to screw things up.

The Yankees asked the Orioles and MLB to have the doubleheader on Friday as opposed to Saturday since there is a strong chance both games on Saturday and the game on Sunday get rained out...but for whatever reason the Orioles and MLB denied the request. If those 3 games get rained out, then we'd have to hope they can fit one of them in on a doubleheader on Monday but that still leaves a huge problem. The Yankees only have two off days the rest of the year, both involving traveling across country, and they don't return to Baltimore again. I suppose MLB could have them make up the 2 games at the end of the year but in that case I can't see the Yankees fielding anything more than the September call ups and normal back ups since they'll want to rest their regulars. It would suck if that impacts the division race.

I really wish that I could have watched that game. It seemed insane how they stormed back from down 7-1 and eventually just ran a way with it.

It's a shame Hughes had such a bad outing, I was really starting to think that he was getting back into form.

You know, I've had a lot of patience with AJ this year, but this is really getting ridiculous. It's almost become a self-fulfilling prophecy every time he pitches. People expect him to fail, so he does. Unless, he somehow gets his act together and get just completely shuts down the rest of his competition the rest of the year, there is no way he even sniffs the playoff rotation (He'll be in the bullpen only because his contract basically forces him to be on the ML roster). I think Girardi and the Yankees are smart enough to look away from the the money for two seconds and realize this.

You know, I've had a lot of patience with AJ this year, but this is really getting ridiculous. It's almost become a self-fulfilling prophecy every time he pitches. People expect him to fail, so he does. Unless, he somehow gets his act together and get just completely shuts down the rest of his competition the rest of the year, there is no way he even sniffs the playoff rotation (He'll be in the bullpen only because his contract basically forces him to be on the ML roster). I think Girardi and the Yankees are smart enough to look away from the the money for two seconds and realize this.

I'm quite tired so I would need to confirm this later but I believe they can leave him off of the 25 man post season roster and there should be no issue with his contract since he'd still be on the 40 man. I can't envision any way he gets his sh!t together to be a rotation option and at this point I don't see any use for him in the pen.

I'm really pissed about how the Orioles handled this weather issue and the Yankees seem to be as well. Not only did they refuse the double header today and decided to hope to get it in on Sunday now, the Orioles want the Yankees to play the final make up game on September 8 AND at 7 PM - for reference the Yankees play September 7 at home against the Orioles at 1 then have to fly out to Anaheim for a night game on the 9th. I hope the Yankees fight tooth and nail on this. Hell, either make them play the make up game at Yankee stadium and split the gate, or fvck the Orioles back over and forfeit the game so they lose money. fvck the Orioles organization, the way they handled this was completely unprofessional but I guess that should be expected from a third rate organization.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I'm quite tired so I would need to confirm this later but I believe they can leave him off of the 25 man post season roster and there should be no issue with his contract since he'd still be on the 40 man. I can't envision any way he gets his sh!t together to be a rotation option and at this point I don't see any use for him in the pen.

I'm really pissed about how the Orioles handled this weather issue and the Yankees seem to be as well. Not only did they refuse the double header today and decided to hope to get it in on Sunday now, the Orioles want the Yankees to play the final make up game on September 8 AND at 7 PM - for reference the Yankees play September 7 at home against the Orioles at 1 then have to fly out to Anaheim for a night game on the 9th. I hope the Yankees fight tooth and nail on this. Hell, either make them play the make up game at Yankee stadium and split the gate, or fvck the Orioles back over and forfeit the game so they lose money. fvck the Orioles organization, the way they handled this was completely unprofessional but I guess that should be expected from a third rate organization.

I wasn't suggesting that it isn't technically possible for them to leave him off the playoff roster (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some BS clause in his contract for that), just that the Yankees would be extremely hesitant to take someone getting paid that much money off the major league roster completely. Let's face it, that's the only thing that's keeping him in the rotation right now.

As for the Orioles-rain situation, yea, it's bullsh!t. You'd that these guys would be able to figure out what the logical thing to do is. And honestly, the Orioles aren't going anywhere this year, so they really shouldn't have a say in the matter.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Jesus making his MLB debut tonight at Fenway! Been following him ever since he was signed as an IFA years ago, very excited to watch him this month. This also means Romine can finally get a taste of AAA. Too bad AJ is pitching tonight so its a guaranteed loss. The other additions in the first wave of September call ups are Pendleton, Valdes, Proctor, Laird, Dickerson. Expect Noesi and Laffey to be back once they clear the 10 day period.

Jesus making his MLB debut tonight at Fenway! Been following him ever since he was signed as an IFA years ago, very excited to watch him this month. This also means Romine can finally get a taste of AAA. Too bad AJ is pitching tonight so its a guaranteed loss. The other additions in the first wave of September call ups are Pendleton, Valdes, Proctor, Laird, Dickerson. Expect Noesi and Laffey to be back once they clear the 10 day period.

Nice. Should be exciting!

I just watched the finish of the Yanks/Sox game.... Michael Kay said, "put it on the left side!" after the Yanks won. Uh, is he serious? That's a complete rip off of Howie Rose's "Put it in the books!" Mets' win call. What a tool.

Edited by nmigliore

I just watched the finish of the Yanks/Sox game.... Michael Kay said, "put it on the left side!" after the Yanks won. Uh, is he serious? That's a complete rip off of Howie Rose's "Put it in the books!" Mets' win call. What a tool.

I'm sure most announcers have something along those lines so I don't think its that big of a deal or its a rip off. Overall I think Singleton is a better play by play guy and I think Cone is one of the best color guys in the game since he actually cares to mention sabermetrics and references sites such as Fangraphs on air. Though I find all of the Yankee color guys to be fine and they seem to have a good rotation going to keep the broadcast fresh. I just can't stand Kay doing the play by play at all. He lets his ego and opinion overshadow the game and other announcers often.

I don't really have any beef with the Yankee announcers besides Kay (I'm not being biased here either; the guy has just always rubbed off as a major tool and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way). I have heard games called by Singleton/Cone and they are much more bearable to listen to. I know Cone is a big saber guy, which is awesome. The Mets broadcast, while very entertaining with Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling as color guys, couldn't be more opposite; they are real old school guys. Ralph Kiner joins the booth once in awhile, and believe it or not, he may be the smartest guy on the broadcast. But on Kay again, I don't know, as soon as I heard his game-ending call I couldn't help but immediately think of Howie's call, which hes been doing for years. As jerky as Kay might be, it would be pretty stupid/unprofessional for him to just rip off something like that anyway, so it's probably just a funky coincidence, but it's still sort of weird how they are so similar.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Kay either. He does come of as very toolish, too dramatic, and way too much of a homer (I am aware that he gets paid to be a homer). The best dynamic YES has is Singleton with Cone and O'neill. I do think the Mets full broadcast team is all around better, though.

All that said, I don't think he ripped this "Put it on the left side" thing that he started this year off Rose. Yeah, it sounds a little similar, but many baseball announcers have similar calls for wins and homeruns and such.

seriously, nmiggy? I mean, I've seen some pretty lame-o arguments before. but... seriously?

"Put it in the books!"

"Put it on the left side!"

Both game-ending calls. Meh. It just sounded really similar to me and pretty lame when I heard it. But whatever.

Edited by nmigliore