2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

A lot of Rangers in the crowd this time compared to previous years. I'll say 70-30 or even 65-35, which is more than we're used to in recent years... Not good.

I said in an earlier thread that the ratio was higher in their favor then ehat most thought aad 20 people told me I was wrong

To qualify for revenue sharing?  :dunno:

But let's not go there.   :headless chicken:

Not everybody who owns luxury suites watches the game from the seats.  Many just stay in the boxes.

There is no way whatsoever that this wasn't a sellout.

I'd say it was about 25-30%.

First, I was talking about the club seats (the 3 sections of seats at center ice of the lower bowl), not the suites. Second, it wasn't a sellout. There were many empty seats in the club sections (as always), and a few scattered in the lower bowl. It seemed like an absolutely honest attendance figure to me. And what would be their incentive to make it less than a sellout if it wasn't legitimately one? I don't buy the setting this up to fail conspiracy theory argument.

The fact of the matter is that those club seats are overpriced for this fan base. We don't have the level of corporate support to charge those prices. It's also a huge reason that 1/2 of the luxury suites are empty. With the way they are reporting attendance, we won't see a true sellout all season.

First, I was talking about the club seats (the 3 sections of seats at center ice of the lower bowl), not the suites. Second, it wasn't a sellout. There were many empty seats in the club sections (as always), and a few scattered in the lower bowl. It seemed like an absolutely honest attendance figure to me. And what would be their incentive to make it less than a sellout if it wasn't legitimately one? I don't buy the setting this up to fail conspiracy theory argument.

The fact of the matter is that those club seats are overpriced for this fan base. We don't have the level of corporate support to charge those prices. It's also a huge reason that 1/2 of the luxury suites are empty. With the way they are reporting attendance, we won't see a true sellout all season.

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is, the end number is still going to be the same no matter which way you do it, being honest, or robbing Peter to pay Paul, which is what they've been doing in the past

The team called last night a sellout.  They called the 16,592 a sellout.  TG said they basically stopped counting some seats into the official seating capacity.  Meaning the seating capacity is no longer 17,625.

And there's always gonna be empty seats even during sellouts.

Edited by Mike Brown

Here's an excerpt from TG.

The Devils announced the attendance as 16,592 and said it was a sellout, which was strange on two counts. The first is that all previous sellouts in the Devils’ first six seasons at Prudential Center had announced crowds of 17,625. The second was that the announced attendance for the home opener was 16,624 (32 more than tonight) and that was not announced by the team as a sellout. I’ll try to find out at some point if the capacity for hockey somehow dropped by more than 1,000 since the end of last season.

I don't give a sh!t what they call a sellout. They are acting like the Yankees, who also pretend club seats don't count towards attendance. It's a sham. It is also terrible visually (on tv and in person) to have the best seats in the house largely empty.

Are you referring to the Fire and Ice Lounge seats?  Like I said, people watch from the bars mostly.  Yea it looks bad on tv, but that's what happens.

Are you referring to the Fire and Ice Lounge seats?  Like I said, people watch from the bars mostly.  Yea it looks bad on tv, but that's what happens.

This is only really accurate at the end of or in particular the beginning of the period.  Don't get me wrong there are always people milling about during play, but it doesn't correspond with the number of seats open, especially midweek games against less popular foes.

This is only really accurate at the end of or in particular the beginning of the period.  Don't get me wrong there are always people milling about during play, but it doesn't correspond with the number of seats open, especially midweek games against less popular foes.

My question is, do they sell those tickets by the number of seats?  Or do they sell those tickets as a standing room only type of situation?  The thing is, those black seats will never be 100% occupied especially if they sell fire and ice tickets by the number of seats.

Are you referring to the Fire and Ice Lounge seats? Like I said, people watch from the bars mostly. Yea it looks bad on tv, but that's what happens.

This is very true...I don't get a chance to see many games anymore since I'm down the shore but when I take the family I usually get either fire or ice lounge seats and it's always packed!! everyone loves hanging out at the bar.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

My question is, do they sell those tickets by the number of seats? Or do they sell those tickets as a standing room only type of situation? The thing is, those black seats will never be 100% occupied especially if they sell fire and ice tickets by the number of seats.

Those seats count the same as a normal seat. As far as I know there aren't standing room only seats available, not even for the Finals. At 150 per seat STH price, they must be hard to sell.(actually these may be 175 now at sth)

Also, I used to have a friend in the concert business and said places would use a % of capacity, say 97%, to determine a sellout. I think this was a policy incorporated in the 90's as a way to hype events and tours. Just even in the event of selling all the away teams tickets for every game could prevent sell outs since those are often released last minute.

Edited by hystyk28

What the hell would they want to move the team for when they own the arena they play in?? Are they gonna move the building with them? We drew 14.000 vs. the Rags in November of 2005 at the dump. This isn't something new.

Yea but every game at the Rock vs the Rags has sold out.  There's no reason whatsoever for last night's game not to sellout.

did you count them all one by one or you just know these things so accurately?

It's just a rough guestimate.

There are always club seats available on StubHub, particularly the entire first row behind the visitors bench. The prices are slightly lower a few days prior to game day, but most people still can't afford to pay that much, so those seats will almost always be empty.

are you saying the devils arw scalping thier own seats on stubhub? otherwise, thise seats are sold and I am unsure what point you are trying to make.

Are you referring to the Fire and Ice Lounge seats? Like I said, people watch from the bars mostly. Yea it looks bad on tv, but that's what happens.

Yes. Those are the club seats. And I've sat there a bunch of times and there are usually no more than 20 people sitting in the bar area or the ledges behind the last row of seats at the games I've been to in the middle of a period. During the intermissions and before the game, the bar/ seating area is packed.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Yes. Those are the club seats. And I've sat there a bunch of times and there are usually no more than 20 people sitting in the bar area or the ledges behind the last row of seats at the games I've been to in the middle of a period. During the intermissions and before the game, the bar/ seating area is packed.

I have a feeling a lot of the people who can afford those tickets regularly also don't go to all the games.

Thing is the club seats were the sections that were always sold out since the arena opened. It was an accomplishment JVB always seemed to mention. I assume its that way again this season. So if the arena was packed the way it usually is, why isn't 17,625 an accurate number?

Rangers haven't had a home game yet, so lots of pent up demand.

Yeah, but we've only had 1 home game so far, this being our second. Not like there's been 4 home games already and people didn't feel bad selling their STH on StubHub to some sucker Rangers fan for some good loot. I wish there weren't so many Devils fans selling their tickets to these games. I know they did because additional tickets weren't available for this game for the past few weeks, not even looking under my STH account. There was only the odd single seat here and there, meaning hundreds or thousands of Devils fans had no qualms selling their SECOND home game of the season versus our bitter rivals on Saturday no less, for a little extra cash... Pathetic..

Edited by DJ Eco