Does the league owe the Devils an apology?

'7'

FRASER: SHOULD ALEC MARTINEZ'S GOAL HAVE COUNTED?

From TSN

First let me say that Martin Brodeur had that puck covered with his left pad one the initial shot and protected it with the blade of his stick. If referee Dan O'Halloran had been on that side of the net he too would have seen this and hopefully blown the play dead.
In an effort to determine frozen pucks my best advice for the referees is to quickly attack the net in a goalmouth scramble to find the puck. Move to the side where the puck is being played to determine if it is in fact covered. If that is not possible trust your instinct based on goalie position and actions of the attacking player(s). Whatever you do, don't allow attacking players to bang away at the goalie! When all else fails apply rule 85.3 when you lose sight of the puck

In what universe was that a good goal? The puck was obviously frozen.

At 1:31 anyone with a functioning eyeball can clearly see that Broduer has the puck covered and it's frozen. It's a terrible call, it's not why we lost but sheesh can we agree a spade is a spade?

In my "taking my red and black glasses off unbiased opinion" universe. It's a good goal. He did not freeze it long enough for the ref to blow the whistle.

I recall that Pandolfo goal again the Sens in the 03 playoffs that was just a blatant miss...I believe the league came out and apologized (we still won 1-0)

In this instance, we lost 4-0, but it's still no excuse for them to just outright hand LA goal #1 and get the ball rolling for them.

The puck was under Brodeurs pad...since when are players allowed to swat away at the goalies pad, push him, and jar the puck loose. And if the ref didn't see the puck, isn't it his responsibility to blow the whistle?

If the puck is under a goalies pad...you cannot just jam away at it until it comes loose. No way that goal should've counted

Absolutely YES! Would it have mattered in the long run, no not from what we know now, but its the principle of the ref's integrity. Look a dive or something they call a trip, interference, whatever you bitch about it and all, but after that it's like whatever, play through it. But that kind of mistake CANNOT happen in a big game like this! There was no excuse for letting them jam away at it like that! Look I'm a big fan of the notion that the league owes us a ton for the sh!t we've gotten since we "moved in" and "stole" fans from Philly and NY. The attitude toward us from seemingly everywhere is little respect, we're a "small market" team, and that we somehow have no right to be here. They grudgingly accept we have won the most cups since 94, we have now 5 Conference championships, and a slew of playoff appearances, yet we will forever remain 3rd or 4th fiddle to the Rangers, Flyers and Isles. The whole $3M fine for getting Kovy was not really for "circumvention of the cap" it was really a big "fvck you" to us for daring to have big name talent to finally make us a household name. I'm sure everyone beside us would have had huge boners if Kovy actually signed with the Kings - especially now. The fact that pretty much all playoffs we've had questionable or downright wrong sh!t go against us is just salt in the wound, despite the fact we have been able to overcome it till now. Are we playing a better team? I won't concede that, but were this round 1 and not 4 I'd say we were the better team. We're out of gas, they have had it easier and have more left in the tank. It is what it is, but hey, we still have a banner to put on our wall. Nobody can deny us the Eastern Conference Championship. Not even Bettman. So just go out there and play game 4 and let the pieces fall where they may. It was a good season and nobody expected we'd be here back on October. And hey, we took the Flyers and Rangers out during the process. We wiped out the curse of 1994 and we completely turned around last year's horrorfest. We have a coach everyone can get behind. I'd call this season a major plus for us regardless of whether we get the cup or not.

That was not a good call, and former goalies Weekes and Pang on the NHL Network agreed there should have been a whistle. Controlling the puck under your pad should get just as quick a whistle as controlling it with your glove.

He did not control the puck long enough for the ref to call the play dead.

In my "taking my red and black glasses off unbiased opinion" universe. It's a good goal. He did not freeze it long enough for the ref to blow the whistle.

Not long enough? oh brother, now you are just blindly defending your position. He has the puck for a solid two seconds (you can look at the clock on the clip, it's a full two). That puck is clearly covered and under his pad and only leaves his pad from King prodding him. There have been 5 reasons listed already about why that should not have been a goal. Red Black glasses need not apply here, he fvcked up and made the wrong call.