Jagr Is Back

William D'Aquila

to be honest... i dont know much about this stastny that everyone here seems to be so obsessed with but i looked him up quick on capgeek and just from a quick glance on there he doesnt seem like anything so special.. i think his highest scoring season was 25 goals once... big deal.. i mean as i said i dont really know much about him what he brings to the shootout the power play etc. but just from a quick glance of his goals and points that he puts up season to season didnt seem like all that... we need a solid 30 plus goal scorer.

Stastny's entering his age 29 season, is a 0.85 points per game player across 538 NHL regular season games, and can play in all situations. Looking at the Avs player usage charts over the last 3 seasons, Stastny has ate some tough minutes for the team, going up against tough opposition and having more defensive zone starts than offensive ones. Also he's a center so I'd judge him a lot more off of his assists and points totals than his goals, but the fact he can score is a huge plus.

Stastny's entering his age 29 season, is a 0.85 points per game player across 538 NHL regular season games, and can play in all situations. Looking at the Avs player usage charts over the last 3 seasons, Stastny has ate some tough minutes for the team, going up against tough opposition and having more defensive zone starts than offensive ones. Also he's a center so I'd judge him a lot more off of his assists and points totals than his goals, but the fact he can score is a huge plus.

Only issue with this:

1st four seasons:  .963 points-per-game

last four seasons:  .735 points-per-game 

Does that all that have to do with how he was used the past few seasons, as opposed to his best seasons already being behind him?  I'd have to look at comparative data from all eight seasons to be sure.  FWIW, his ppg average went up this season over the prior three, to .845. 

At any rate, he's putting up points in the 2014 playoffs (9 in 6 GP), and he's going to get a nice payday.  As long as Devils fans are prepared for the UFA inflation rate, and don't expect more from a points standpoint, then he could be a nice pickup.  But realistically, you're looking at 20-25 goals, and 30-40 assists.  Hopefully around 60 points each season.  Anything over that should probably seen as a bonus. 

And on-topic...glad Jagr is coming back.  Obviously it's a risk, given his age, but one worth taking.  The fact that he wants to be here in light of his earlier comments (not wanting to stay if the Devils didn't make the playoffs) makes me think Lou told him that other moves are coming.  I don't think Lou's going to back on overall better goaltending next season (though he can) and hope for better luck next season...I think we're going to see something significant.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

a no-brainer one year deal. no, its not setting the future back. I'll gladly overpay a bit short term. wish my jets thought the same way about a starting cornerback.

hopefilly, a wink and a nod deal that we'll trade him at the deadline if we're way out of playoff contention, and recoup a pick....solid move

now we need 20 more goals from a forward added

to be honest... i dont know much about this stastny that everyone here seems to be so obsessed with but i looked him up quick on capgeek and just from a quick glance on there he doesnt seem like anything so special.. i think his highest scoring season was 25 goals once... big deal.. i mean as i said i dont really know much about him what he brings to the shootout the power play etc. but just from a quick glance of his goals and points that he puts up season to season didnt seem like all that... we need a solid 30 plus goal scorer.

There's a few things that I think have us excited. We can't really see into the future but the writing is on the wall that he may be the odd man out in a Colorado roster that's going to need a lot of money to re-sign/maintain through the next few years. Landeskog's, Varlamov's, and Duchene's extensions go on the books and hit the cap next year. Also, Ryan O'Reilly's an RFA this offseason and if they're looking far ahead enough, they'll have to keep in mind how they'll keep Mackinnon and I'd assume they want Erik Johnson long-term. Aside from that, their defense could also use a facelift this offseason. But I digress... The math suggests Stastny should have either been traded at the deadline, or may be let go in July. If he stays with Colorado, it will most likely hinge on him giving them a mega hometown discount.

Now, onto his game: he scores goals we desperately need, while also making big plays, putting up assists, making his linemates much better. Even at ±20-25 goals, it's more than we're getting now. Imagine how our season would've gone with another player putting up 20+ goals. That tips the scale in so many of those 1-goal games. Maybe only Gaborik, Vanek, and possibly Cammalleri could have that kind of offensive output. 

But here's what these players don't have: Stastny plays all situations; penalty kill, power play, great two-way game relatively speaking compared to the rest of the Avs roster. I'm sure that's why his numbers may have dropped off as he got older; he's assumed more responsibility and a leadership role that maybe doesn't single-handedly rely on his point totals.

Then, there's the intangibles: the guy has lived in Jersey before, his dad played here. Character-wise, he's the kind of player our team can build upon. He is a Henrique/Zajac type of player but possibly better. I think our system, which would probably hinder UFAs like Gaborik or Vanek, would probably benefit his style of play or at least maintain it. Add onto that a year (or more) of learning from Jagr, and you have enough reasons to really want this kid in a Devils uniform.

Edited by DJ Eco

Next up give Zidlicky a two year deal while the kids get more compfortable.

If Zid was fine with taking a 1-year deal last year (presumably only offered because Lou wanted some flexibility for the 2014-2015 season if young players were ready), why offer him a 2-year deal a year later?

I want Zidlicky back, but it has to be at a 1-year deal. He'd be smart to look elsewhere for a multi-year deal after the season he had, but he took a 1-year deal last year, so who knows.

Jagr is a finalist for the Masterton Trophy along with Manny Malhotra and Dominic Moore: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/jaromir_jagr_named_finalist_for_masterton_trophy/

That's a tough competition. I think Malhotra wins it though.

Moore should win. The dude lost his wife after taking a year off to take care of her. I can't even imagine what he's been through. I have mad respect for that guy.

This. It's a heartbreaking story, and the fact that he made it back to the NHL with the team he wanted to be on is great.

If Zid was fine with taking a 1-year deal last year (presumably only offered because Lou wanted some flexibility for the 2014-2015 season if young players were ready), why offer him a 2-year deal a year later?

I want Zidlicky back, but it has to be at a 1-year deal. He'd be smart to look elsewhere for a multi-year deal after the season he had, but he took a 1-year deal last year, so who knows.

Simple:  Trade Value

If Zid has a one year deal and we are out of the hunt, we get nothing in return for a pending UFA

A two year deal would garner significantly more from another team in need of a puck moving D man.

It also allow Gelinas another year to learn the game at the pro-level.

Don't get me wrong I am OK with a 1-Year deal, but if our guys are still not ready, I would rather be on the safeside and retaining our only puck moving defensemen and not have to worry about it again next year.

Simple:  Trade Value

If Zid has a one year deal and we are out of the hunt, we get nothing in return for a pending UFA

A two year deal would garner significantly more from another team in need of a puck moving D man.

It also allow Gelinas another year to learn the game at the pro-level.

Don't get me wrong I am OK with a 1-Year deal, but if our guys are still not ready, I would rather be on the safeside and retaining our only puck moving defensemen and not have to worry about it again next year.

Disagree. 

I would think a team looking to rent wouldn't want a 38/39 year old Zid's salary on their books (that's how old Zids would be on year two of a potential deal).  He'd be a perfect rental for someone, especially since so much of his salary will have been paid by the deadline. 

Disagree. 

I would think a team looking to rent wouldn't want a 38/39 year old Zid's salary on their books (that's how old Zids would be on year two of a potential deal).  He'd be a perfect rental for someone, especially since so much of his salary will have been paid by the deadline. 

Depends how much the contract is.  But I hear your point.

Guys -  Last yr he was 4 million - 2 million salary and 2 million bonus that counts on our cap for 2014-2015. 

This season he is 5.5 million - 3.5 million salary and 2 million bonus that would count on our cap for 2015-2016.

So it looks like this for Jagrs cap hit based on last contract and the upcoming one

2013-2014 - 2 million (salary from 13-14)

2014-2015 - 5.5 million (Bonus from 13-14, and salary for 14-15)

2015-2016 -- Up to 2 million based on bonuses he may or may not hit. 

Moore should win. The dude lost his wife after taking a year off to take care of her. I can't even imagine what he's been through. I have mad respect for that guy.

The other nominees aren't even in the same realm as Moore's story.  I hope he wins, but the NHL PR machine would love to give it to Jagr. I guess we will see.

Guys - Last yr he was 4 million - 2 million salary and 2 million bonus that counts on our cap for 2014-2015.

This season he is 5.5 million - 3.5 million salary and 2 million bonus that would count on our cap for 2015-2016.

So it looks like this for Jagrs cap hit based on last contract and the upcoming one

2013-2014 - 2 million (salary from 13-14)

2014-2015 - 5.5 million (Bonus from 13-14, and salary for 14-15)

2015-2016 -- Up to 2 million based on bonuses he may or may not hit.

Bonuses only carry over if they take a team over cap; otherwise the bonus is charged in the year it is earned.

I don't think the Devils were over cap this year so Jagr's bonus was on this years cap; no carryover.