Hello from Manchester UK

Stevens_4

Hi all, just wanted to say hello to all you other devils fans and to let u know there r plenty in the u.k. and many in manchester especially at the Manchester Phoenix, our local team who play in the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) which replaced the now defunct manchester storm.

You may have heard of storm as Kurt Kleinderdorst used to be the coach there before moving to work with the devils.

Anyway am hoping to come over to NJ and see a game or two sometime, (hopefully a nice win over the isles!) and hoping Scotty comes back soon we really missed him the 2nd half of last season.

Get Well Soon Pat

Hopefully! cant imagine a year without a season, although we have the football season and our phoenix season here at the same time so at least something to keep busy (and spend all my money) on.

Do you know how the devils cater for visitors from overseas as a friend of mine (a thrashers fan) went to atlanta last year and got to go in the locker rooms, down on the bench and stuff and meet the players outside practice as well as getting a media pass for a game v dallas. Anything like this would b superb.

Also how long does it take go get from NYC to the arena as was thinking of maybe staying in NY, seeing a couple of games there and of couse coming to NJ too.

BTW, is the interest for Hockey increasing in England?

Its hard to say really, i know more people who are watching it than before and we do get a couple of live games a week (ok they tend to be at 1am :argh: and always seems to be detroit :angry: ) and we do NASN (north american sports network) over here now as a subscription channel with lots of nhl on.

The only thing is in the early years of storm 95/96 the crowds were much higher and we even sold out the 17,000 Manchester Evening news Arena at one time too, sadly we got much lower crowds but the money unfortunately isnt there

Its hard to say really, i know more people who are watching it than before and we do get a couple of live games a week (ok they tend to be at 1am :argh: and always seems to be detroit :angry: ) and we do NASN (north american sports network) over here now as a subscription channel with lots of nhl on.

The only thing is in the early years of storm 95/96 the crowds were much higher and we even sold out the 17,000 Manchester Evening news Arena at one time too, sadly we got much lower crowds but the money unfortunately isnt there

too bad. well... hopefully England can get a player that can make it to the NHL. That might spark the interest.

as for 1 a.m games... your'e lucky. When you live in the CET time-zone the game starts at 2 ('less its a westcoast game :angry: )

we do get a couple of live games a week (ok they tend to be at 1am :argh: and always seems to be detroit :angry: )

Hehee. How true.

There's a Detroit bias on Channel 4! (or is it 5?)

Hello my fellow Brit all the way up north!

welcome! good to have more europeans here! B )

Yes it is Swede, Hockey, Basketball and football (American) are all growing well in England, I am originally from England, so you heard it from the horses mouth. :D

too bad. well... hopefully England can get a player that can make it to the NHL. That might spark the interest.

as for 1 a.m games... your'e lucky. When you live in the CET time-zone the game starts at 2 ('less its a westcoast game :angry: )

There are two players from England who made it to the NHL, Steve Thomas, who I think recently retired or is near the end of his career, he played one season for the Red Wings last year, before that he played with the Mighty Ducks and took them to the 2003 stanley cup finals only to lose to some team from New Jersey :evil::evil::evil:

And then there's Byron Dafoe who plays in goal for the Atlanta Thrashers, well he did up to the end of the '03-'04 season

Yeah, though they arent really true british players as they moved to the us/canada at a very young age, not like they grew up and trained here ete

Yeah, though they arent really true british players as they moved to the us/canada at a very young age, not like they grew up and trained here ete

That's true #4, they did move over very young, same can be said of Owen Nolan (Ireland) he plays for the Leafs right now.

I do think there was one guy from England who played for the Islanders once, fairly recently (last 20 years) although I'm not sure, Help me out here guys :noclue:

• 2 weeks later...