What is the Devils Plan of Action Now Thread

grcenter47

I would like LL to make a trade for Ryan...

I'm gonna keep saying this 'til I'm blue in the face- it will cost Henrique right off the bat (which is a non-starter), and giving up assets for a couple years of Bobby Ryan before he bolts for Philly in UFA would be fvcking stunod. Please, enough with Bobby Ryan.

Why couldnt Gomez work back here? I hated him just as much as the next guy for leaving the the rangers the way he did, but when he was on his game he was an above average passer, which would be a nice fit at center. I'm not saying he would be top line type center with kovy because i think thats zajac all the way but maybe him on the wing with a clarkson and even a josefson, to take some responsiblity of jj so he can develop some confidence...if he's bought out in montreal im not opposed to it.

eh, it's a complete mystery right now. His agent is being very cagey:

Dmitry Chesnokov@dchesnokovGandler, Semin's agent, gives no hints whatsoever. The best I could get out of him was "Semin's priority is to sign with an NHL team."

I knew it! No serious interest, so he is using the veiled KHL threat. This reminds me of the post NYR Jagr manufactured interest when it was rumored that Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton were all making hot and heavy bids for him and it ended up that no one made any offers and he went to the KHL.

Did you just argue with yourself? I'd love a return of Gomez on th cheap. I think he gets ddestroyed with pressure, and playing under that enormous cap hit in two huge spotlight places masks the fact that he's a player who looked to be a budding superstar just past his prime. I think he could come here and put up 40 assists rather quickly on the correct line.

He has always been a great passer and skater, Even in Montreal and in New York. His contract just absolutely obliterated him. I would not mind to bring him back if he gets bought out.

Did you just argue with yourself? I'd love a return of Gomez on th cheap. I think he gets ddestroyed with pressure, and playing under that enormous cap hit in two huge spotlight places masks the fact that he's a player who looked to be a budding superstar just past his prime. I think he could come here and put up 40 assists rather quickly on the correct line.

yeah i did haha but signing gomez actually can make sense if its cheap really cheep he cant really be any worse then when he played for the habs

Where would Gomer be slotted in? Zajac and Henrique are our 2 top centers. Josefson is likely the third line center, and CBGB will be intact....

I could also see CBGB playing as a third line also...

Will be interesting, but I don't care for Gomez. Would much rather have Semin and be done with it....

He has always been a great passer and skater, Even in Montreal and in New York. His contract just absolutely obliterated him. I would not mind to bring him back if he gets bought out.

If he got bought out and we got him under $2 million a year, I would take him back as I think he would help our PP greatly and would be a great #3 center. He has a lot to prove, dont' mind that prodigal son returns attitude.

No trades.

Acquire Semin + Kostitsyn

PROFIT!

We aren't Minnesota, we can't afford both.

If he got bought out and we got him under $2 million a year, I would take him back as I think he would help our PP greatly and would be a great #3 center. He has a lot to prove, dont' mind that prodigal son returns attitude.

We aren't Minnesota, we can't afford both.

The last I heard Kostitsyn hasn't gotten one NHL offer yet. I'm not too sure if that has changed yet (Most likely it has with the Suter/Zach signings) but if it hasn't...the closer it gets to the season and him without a team I think the more realistic it can be to get him for cheap.

With Parise gone these would be my plans of action in the order I'd prefer. We need to take chances, we need to improve.

1. Alexander Semin

A lot of things here. First, how much would he cost? He made 6.7M last year. Now I would give him nothing near that. Other teams may though. He won't get that much on his next contract for several reasons, his lack of recent production and character issues. Especially long term he won't get a deal that pays north of 6M. With all that said I think Lou should take a chance on him for a reasonable price (somewhere around 5m a year give or take). Again, tons of variables because Semin want something long term.

Theres no doubting his release and pure skill.

An encouraging thing is his goal to remain in the NHL. Lou could use Kovalchuk as a motivator to sign here. High risk, high reward for sure but we need to improve the team. At this point we've dropped off a bit with Parise/Ponikarovsy leaving.

2. Put faith into Tedenby, Bernier/Carter, etc. to step up into more important roles.

3. Trade market

It would be difficult to go this route and improve in the process with losing another key player.

3. Trade market

It would be difficult to go this route and improve in the process with losing another key player.

I agree with you on everything else but here. We could definitely improve the team by trading defense because our depth there is real. There are teams like Edmonton who will be looking for an upgrade and we have some friendly contracts that could be enticing and our drop off would not be severe. I don't think the trade market is that dangerous for us nor do I think we will lose a lot going that way depending on our target and trade partner.

2. Put faith into Tedenby, Bernier/Carter, etc. to step up into more impor

That is easily my biggest concern going into 12/13. Tedenby played his way off the team he was so bad last year. He went to Albabny and really did nothing significant. Played for half a season and scored just one measly goal.

As far as expecting the same kind of impact from the fourth line as they have in the playoffs, I think many are going to be sorely mistaken. Especially since I think at least one of them will start on the third line.

No trades.

Acquire Semin + Kostitsyn

PROFIT!

Kostitsyn!?! !?!?!? No disrespect here but... Are you fvcking retarded? Haha Thats a HUGE no no !

Trust me. I hate the habs but i was still watching all their games.... You dont want kostitsyn... No no and no

The Devils don't want to get desperate but Lou definitely needs to make a move or the Devils will really fall back last year. Say what you want about Parise, but he's an elite offensive player in this game and losing him will hurt. Patrik Elias finished top 10 in scoring last year with 77 points, but asking him to repeat that performance might be way too much to ask. David Clarkson and his 30 goals again...wouldn't be a good bet, and right now they are without the 20+ goals Petr Sykora scored too.

All that and the Devils were a middle-of-the-pack scoring team anyway. The Devils badly need some offensive punch. I don't think it will be Semin, so Lou has to get creative.

Edited by devilsrule33

If Lou goes all in for Semin I could see him winding up being the equivalent of a double or nothing kinda bet. Either he comes in and finds a real good form in a system that to me seems to favor his talents much better than that which the Caps were playing last year or he winds up being Valeri Kamenski from the Rangers in the late 90s. All talent and potential with no results.

Dude you don't think Kostitsyn would be a decent 3rd liner? I would be all in favor of bringing Tedenby up but who knows if he will have a season like last year or like his rookie season. Kostitsyn could put up consistant numbers.

he's really lazy and inconsistent, if a sh!tty team like mtl didnt want it anymore we certainly dont either. Not worth the gamble. He has a crazy release though but i swear, he'd get LOTS of hate from the fans.