2012-13 Devils Trade Bait

titleofusername98

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, we're clearly so deep at forward that we should trade one away. I hope we get a solid d-man for him. Can't have enough defensemen. :doh1:

Larsson's untouchable, but Fayne's an extremely attractive trade piece. Are you trading for an elite forward? Fayne + a pick, and not Tallinder, could be the package we ship off. Tallinder is MAYBE tradeable for a decent 3rd/4th line forward, but if Fayne shows flashes of what he did during the last half of this season, I think he could be our key into trading for a strong forward.

Yeah, I know, Fayne's relatively young and has potentially many good years ahead of him for the Devils. But, you got Larsson, Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas, etc., coming up; at this exact point in time, Fayne might be expendable and a decent means to a good end of a trade.

Edited by DJ Eco

Nobody from our D will get us the forward we need. Our current crop of defenseman are deep and well rounded. Guys get hurt over the course of the season...let's keep our depth.

To get the player that the Devils need to put them over the top, we're going to need to move someone like Matteau, Urbom, mix in 2nd/3rd round picks. Andy Greene or Tallinder or Fayne is not bringing back the scorer we need. Why weaken one area to strengthen another.

We can trade Fayne for some 15 goal 35 point forward, only to have Tallinder or Salvador on get nicked up again, and all of a sudden we're fvcked.

If we want to beat the Flyers, or Penguins or Rags again we're going to need Bobby Ryan type...and he's not coming here for Andy Greene. So either make a real move or no move at all. A depth defender for a depth forward does nothing.

Edited by '7'

Nobody from our D will get us the forward we need. Our current crop of defenseman are deep and well rounded. Guys get hurt over the course of the season...let's keep our depth.

To get the player that the Devils need to put them over the top, we're going to need to move someone like Matteau, Urbom, mix in 2nd/3rd round picks. Andy Greene or Tallinder or Fayne is not bringing back the scorer we need. Why weaken one area to strengthen another.

We can trade Fayne for some 15 goal 35 point forward, only to have Tallinder or Salvador on get nicked up again, and all of a sudden we're fvcked.

If we want to beat the Flyers, or Penguins or Rags again we're going to need Bobby Ryan type...and he's not coming here for Andy Greene. So either make a real move or no move at all. A depth defender for a depth forward does nothing.

Wait a minute. We brought on a lot of depth forwards last season, Poni comes to mind. We don't need a big spash Bobby Ryan type trade. We just need a strong 2nd/3rd pairing player.

Wait a minute. We brought on a lot of depth forwards last season, Poni comes to mind. We don't need a big spash Bobby Ryan type trade. We just need a strong 2nd/3rd pairing player.

See the way i view it we need something inbetween the two.

Poni came in to a team that still had Parise, realistically we do need someone who can come in and at least pick up a portion of that production.

See right now we have too many defenseman. We don't need 8 NHL defenseman. If we trade one of Fayne, Greene, or tallinder and a pick and maybe tendenby or urbom we could get a pretty good top 6 forward. If we don't trade at least 1 defenseman there isn't even a spot for Larsson right now. On top of that we have Merrill, gelinas, and Scarlett coming through the system in the next couple years.

Any discussion with a Ryan type player is a non-starter unless it involves Merrill. You could give up an Urbom, pick combo if it's for a rental like Perry or Getzlaf.

^7^: The Devils have 10 NHL ready defensemen. Urbom and Gelinas aren't going to blow anyone away here, but they should both be capable of taking weak minutes without throwing up all over themselves. Last year we only needed 9 defensemen (even though I think 11 played, 9 was the deepest NJ got on the depth chart) - having 10 is simply ridiculous. The Devils don't have the pieces to get a top forward, but a decent one? Yeah.

Bottom line is that Parise cannot be replaced so...

This is a good opportunity to test your witts from within the organization to see if you can steal a spot come playoff time and then grind away round after round during the playoffs.

Gagner from Edmonton?

Fayne and Greene are the only two that would get us a decent return. IMO we definitely have too many defenders and I'd like them to clear room for Gelinas, Urbom, and Merrill next year.

I agree, although I think that Merrill is likely to play in Albany all of next year seeing as how he has barely played the last 2 season at Michigan. A trade for Gagner would be nice, but the price we have to pay would probably be prohibitive at this point.

I agree, although I think that Merrill is likely to play in Albany all of next year seeing as how he has barely played the last 2 season at Michigan. A trade for Gagner would be nice, but the price we have to pay would probably be prohibitive at this point.

How long does Merrill's contract with the Devils take him to?

He is a college player so he can't have a professional contract yet, so he'll enter with the 3 year Entry Level Contract, when he enters.

Is that how that works? Some people were saying that Merrill might pull the same thing Justin Schultz did and I was under the impression he played in college instead of signing with his AHL team while his contract ran out. Guess I had that whole situation wrong.

Is that how that works? Some people were saying that Merrill might pull the same thing Justin Schultz did and I was under the impression he played in college instead of signing with his AHL team while his contract ran out. Guess I had that whole situation wrong.

If you're drafted from the US College system, and you don't sign with your team for 4 years, then you're a free agent. So there is a ticking clock, it just doesn't have to do with a contract.

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday

As for the "Justin Schultz" CBA rule (four years from draft year to sign a contract), #NHL proposed extending that time, and PA rejected it.