Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

There are a couple of narrow minded posters that feel everyone at the Rock should follow "their rulebook" and just don't realize people are gonna do what they want (and have a good time doin it)

Nobody is trying to stop people from doing anything.  Some people are just saying that certain things people do are stupid, dumb, lame, and unnecessary.   :thumbsup:

Nobody is trying to stop people from doing anything.  Some people are just saying that certain things people do are stupid, dumb, lame, and unnecessary.   :thumbsup:

First of all, the goal song has been changed, and there is no more "Hey..you suck"  why are people still arguing over it?

second of all, you are expecting people to have the same thought process and morals as yourself....not gonna happen, 17k people are gonna do things that some people like and some dont, Devils fans cant even agree on who should start in goal, or who should be in the lineup

First of all, the goal song has been changed, and there is no more "Hey..you suck"  why are people still arguing over it?

second of all, you are expecting people to have the same thought process and morals as yourself....not gonna happen, 17k people are gonna do things that some people like and some dont, Devils fans cant even agree on who should start in goal, or who should be in the lineup

To your first question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

To your second point, I'm not in any way telling people what to do or not to do.

We'll see if that's still true after the boos of the other night and the two weeks of angry calls/emails/posts/tweets they've been and will continue to get.

You don't think getting this worked up over a simple goal song change is a tad bit ridiculous?

It's been here for a while, we want it, we should ultimately, for the most part, decide what our goal song should be. 

Also, I highly doubt you were embarrassed sitting around a bunch of Devils fans while they were booing the song. Honestly doesn't make any sense at all.

There are a couple of narrow minded posters that feel everyone at the Rock should follow "their rulebook" and just don't realize people are gonna do what they want (and have a good time doin it)

Conversely there are a few narrow-minded posters who are staunchly defending a silly, infantile chant to the point where they are going on every form of social media to whine about the goal change all because the devils took away their ability to shout you suck at the other team after we score a goal.

It's been here for a while, we want it, we should ultimately, for the most part, decide what our goal song should be.

Also, I highly doubt you were embarrassed sitting around a bunch of Devils fans while they were booing the song. Honestly doesn't make any sense at all.

Again if it is all about the song then that's fine. However I bet if the devils management said they will bring the song back on the condition that fans stop the you suck chant, most would balk at that idea.

It's all about a bunch of teens, twenty-something's and some man-children who are throwing a tantrum because they can't yell you suck to the other team.

• Like 1

Again if it is all about the song then that's fine. However I bet if the devils management said they will bring the song back on the condition that fans stop the you suck chant, most would balk at that idea.

It's all about a bunch of teens, twenty-something's and some man-children who are throwing a tantrum because they can't yell you suck to the other team.

This elitist crap is what's annoying about this debate. Stop pretending you're more mature than everyone who disagrees with you. It's untrue, insulting, and, quite frankly, immature.

My parents are a pair of military/civil service retirees who are morally conservative and volunteer at their church every Sunday. At the home opener when Bon Jovi played instead of RnR Pt. 2, my mother leaned over and said "What happened to 'Hey! You suck!'? That was always so much fun!" Thank you for repeatedly calling them immature 20-somethings throughout this thread, just because they enjoy doing something that's completely harmless but you, for some reason, take personal offense to.

It isn't this at all.  Do Rangers fans start chanting Marty immediately during their goal song?  Serenading goalies is fine, mocking opponents is fine, just save it for some time after a goal is scored.

Not the best example. Rangers fans sometimes start their Marty taunt before the opening faceoff, and frequently before the first shot on goal is tallied, let alone a goal scored.

This elitist crap is what's annoying about this debate. Stop pretending you're more mature than everyone who disagrees with you. It's untrue, insulting, and, quite frankly, immature.

My parents are a pair of military/civil service retirees who are morally conservative and volunteer at their church every Sunday. At the home opener when Bon Jovi played instead of RnR Pt. 2, my mother leaned over and said "What happened to 'Hey! You suck!'? That was always so much fun!" Thank you for repeatedly calling them immature 20-somethings throughout this thread, just because they enjoy doing something that's completely harmless but you, for some reason, take personal offense to.

Not the best example. Rangers fans sometimes start their Marty taunt before the opening faceoff, and frequently before the first shot on goal is tallied, let alone a goal scored.

So your mom's biggest concern about R&R part 2 not being played is that she can't say you suck to the other team? What would you call that?

It's not elitist. It's acting like a decent human being. This whole mentality of a certain chunk of devils fans where we have to become pseudo flyers fans to "defend" our building is making the entire fanbase look infantile and silly.

• Like 1

I was bemused about the booing on goal #1 (I partially expected it), embarassed after goals #2 and #3 when it only got louder.  This is like politics, both sides are wrong and both sides are just as entrenched in their radical positions as the radical wings of the left and right.  I'm apparently in the minority that I think both sides are wrong here, and I think the team was wrong and shouldn't have tried to enact a change in the middle of the night they KNEW would get pillored.

Conversely there are a few narrow-minded posters who are staunchly defending a silly, infantile chant to the point where they are going on every form of social media to whine about the goal change all because the devils took away their ability to shout you suck at the other team after we score a goal.

How else are fans supposed to make their voice heard on the goal-song change?  Besides the petty booing?

I honestly don't see why You Suck bothers anyone, and I don't see why people derive their entire enjoyment from it either.  But the goal song's for the fans, and the team might as well let the paying customers have what they want or it's going to only get worse.  I mean it's a goal song, big deal.  You don't have to participate in it if you don't like You Suck. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

So your mom's biggest concern about R&R part 2 not being played is that she can't say you suck to the other team? What would you call that?

It's not elitist. It's acting like a decent human being. This whole mentality of a certain chunk of devils fans where we have to become pseudo flyers fans to "defend" our building is making the entire fanbase look infantile and silly.

I don't even care about the you suck part, I just want the hey song back but people aren't decent human beings because they chant you suck? Come on now, that's a real stretch.

It's hockey. I have no problem with "you suck" being chanted. I don't think anyone should be getting offended. Grow some thicker skin.

HOWEVER. Chanting "you suck" when we are down is RETARDED. It is so immensely stupid its embarrassing. Look, I can MAYBE understand chanting it if we are 1) ahead or 2) score a go-ahead goal. But for those instances where we are getting spanked and score one goal we really need to not chant "you suck"...especially when we are the ones sucking it up.

I am totally in favor of changing the goal song. But it needs to be voted on by the fans. As much as I can't stand the Flyers at least one can chant to the derpy song they use.

• Like 1

Bingo.

HOWEVER. Chanting "you suck" when we are down is RETARDED. It is so immensely stupid its embarrassing. Look, I can MAYBE understand chanting it if we are 1) ahead or 2) score a go-ahead goal. But for those instances where we are getting spanked and score one goal we really need to not chant "you suck"...especially when we are the ones sucking it up.

Why?  Why is it embarrassing to you?  WHO THE HELL CARES, IT'S A CHANT!  It's just a freakin chant, stop reading into it.  I almost interpret it sarcastically if they're losing, but, again, who the hell cares?  I don't understand how people can feel embarrassed about saying "you suck", when it's one of the most mild, harmless things that could possibly be chanted at a sporting event.

"Oh man, I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when we're down a few goals and our fans are saying the other team sucks!  I mean, come on guys, we should be supporting our team!  Because it's not like we can half a dozen other chants that serve that purpose!  Stop being so immature and grow up, this is a hockey game afterall!"   :argh:

I'm so done with this thread though, my head spins every time I check back.  It's just people talking in circles, which is pointless and frustrating.

But here's the surprise Shyamalan twist ending:  I'm not even that big a fan of the "you suck" , I'm really not.  I could do without it and without R&RII (so long as they find an appropriate replacement, not this current awful one), but the reasons people are suggesting in this thread for removing it are absolutely absurd. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

I don't even care about the you suck part, I just want the hey song back but people aren't decent human beings because they chant you suck? Come on now, that's a real stretch.

Again if Devils management when in front of 100 Devils fans who are complaining right now on Twitter and Facebook that they want the song back and the Devils management said they can have it back on the condition that they no longer say the "you suck" part, how many do you think would actually take them up on that offer?  I would be shocked if more than 15 or 20 do.

Hell most of the fans on Facebook and Twitter refer to the song as the "hey you suck chant" or "hey you suck song" instead of its actual name.  It shows that the you suck part means more than the actual song or its tradition with the Devils.

Bingo.

Why?  Why is it embarrassing to you?  WHO THE HELL CARES, IT'S A CHANT!  It's just a freakin chant, stop reading into it.  I almost interpret it sarcastically if they're losing, but, again, who the hell cares?  I don't understand how people can feel embarrassed about saying "you suck", when it's one of the most mild, harmless things that could possibly be chanted at a sporting event.

"Oh man, I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when we're down a few goals and our fans are saying the other team sucks!  I mean, come on guys, we should be supporting our team!  Because it's not like we can half a dozen other chants that serve that purpose!  Stop being so immature and grow up, this is a hockey game afterall!"   :argh:

I'm so done with this thread though, my head spins every time I check back.  It's just people talking in circles, which is pointless and frustrating.

But here's the surprise Shyamalan twist ending:  I'm not even that big a fan of the "you suck" , I'm really not.  I could do without it and without R&RII (so long as they find an appropriate replacement, not this current awful one), but the reasons people are suggesting in this thread for removing it are absolutely absurd. 

Devils fans did fine for about 25 years without the "you suck" part.  However now you have fans who are whining that they can't cheer it and the only reason they want the R&R part 2 back is so they can chant it, nothing else.

I love the passion that the posters in this thread have about a goal song. 

Just goes to show you the Devils did make a mistake taking a song the majority of people seemed to like and secretly changing it without fan input.  Much of this unrest could have been avoided with an announcement on social media and some kind of poll or contest to let fans determine a new song. 

I don't care if you're for or against it.  You guys who are going back and forth in this thread are my kind of people! :thumbsup:

Because it's fvcking stupid to tell the team that is NOT SUCKING that THEY SUCK when in reality OUR TEAM IS SUCKING.It makes our fans look like complete knuckleheads. 

Edited by mrthemike

I love the passion that the posters in this thread have about a goal song. 

Just goes to show you the Devils did make a mistake taking a song the majority of people seemed to like and secretly changing it without fan input.  Much of this unrest could have been avoided with an announcement on social media and some kind of poll or contest to let fans determine a new song. 

I don't care if you're for or against it.  You guys who are going back and forth in this thread are my kind of people! :thumbsup:

Thing is if you read through here and through FB and twitter, most fans are not upset about the song but more upset at the loss of being able to chant "you suck" to the other team.  Most even refer to it now as the "you suck chant" or "you suck song".

It's hockey. I have no problem with "you suck" being chanted. I don't think anyone should be getting offended. Grow some thicker skin.

I am totally in favor of changing the goal song. But it needs to be voted on by the fans. As much as I can't stand the Flyers at least one can chant to the derpy song they use.

NO ONE HERE IS OFFENDED BY YOU SUCK BEING CHANTED.  'That is not it, sit down, don't help anymore'*

...geez.  I mean I know this is the sort of topic where it hurts to read what people are writing sometimes, but no one's offended by it.  

* - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckxOWz868k#t=3m36s (NSFW)

Edited by Triumph

NO ONE HERE IS OFFENDED BY YOU SUCK BEING CHANTED.  'That is not it, sit down, don't help anymore'*

...geez.  I mean I know this is the sort of topic where it hurts to read what people are writing sometimes, but no one's offended by it.  

* - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckxOWz868k#t=3m36s (NSFW)

I would hope not. We are from Jersey for crying out loud. 

Not a big fan of the new goal song, R&R pt 2 is part of Devils history, but at the same time the "You suck" chant only really works if you aren’t losing the game.

I think "I wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister would be a good goal song. The current song has no energy behind it.

I like how the ones who like the you suck chant constantly harp on "tradition"

I bet if devils management went to them and said they can have R&R part 2 back on the condition that you can't say you suck most of them would reject it.

Again after going to about 100 games at the rock over the past 4 seasons alone I can say that at least 80% of the people chanting it are in their teens and twenties.

Honestly, I think that's the best way to do it. Say you can have RR pt 2 back, but no you suck chant..........Then reach out to this board and give us all $100 food and beverage cards to appease us. That would be alright. Didn't the Red Bulls do something like this recently?

Because it's fvcking stupid to tell the team that is NOT SUCKING that THEY SUCK when in reality OUR TEAM IS SUCKING.It makes our fans look like complete knuckleheads.

Again with the literal interpretation of it!! I'm sure the fans would like to chant 'Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed!' But yelling 'you suck' is a simpler, truncated version of that. Can the embarrassed few who dont like the chant stop taking it so literally? We yell suck after player intros too, told hof player Brett Hull he sucked in the 2000 scf intros. Does it mean he really does sucks or that we are just an uninformed fan base about his abilities? Lol.. It's a chant that has to do with energy not something that is supposed to hold up in the court of law.

I dunno, the fact that this thread has 33 pages is pretty wild. I don't care what is played just as long as we are energetic. I think the probably is RRpt2 created such a terrific buzz that it's going to be tough to replace and everything else will not be liked because all the fans will remember is how much they liked the "you suck" song.