2014 Yankees Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

And so it begins again. 

Projected MLB.com depth chart here.

The important news for the day: A-Rod has dropped his lawsuit, which means that, barring some stupid end-around, he's done for 2014.

My random thought for the day is that, with Brett Wallace being DFA'd today by Houston and us needed IF depth, I'd see if we could give him a look and squeeze him onto the 40-man.  I also thought that about Emilio Bonificio, who was recently DFA'd by Kansas City and can play 2B/SS/3B and can pinch-run if his time in KC is any indication, would be an OK match for some infield depth.  Then again I don't have to balance a 40-man roster so, yeah...

• 3 weeks later...

Is the idea that stolen bases don't help a team out still in vogue? 

Seems to be. Beyond the Boxscore had an interesting post the other day on this subject that I found interesting: The value (or lack thereof) of stolen bases

In their 2014 season preview, River Ave Blues takes a look at the Yankees stolen/extra base threats: 2014 Season Preview: Speed Demons

Fangraphs has a stat that measures runs above average (where 0 is average) contributed through base stealing called wSB. The top base stealers in a year are generally worth something around +5 to +7 runs above average, but it's typically tough to do better than that. Per Fangraphs, since 1950, only 23 times has a player been worth +10 runs or more via base stealing alone in a single season. Ricky Henderson did it 4 times, Tim Raines did it 5 times. 

Success rate is critical as well; Starling Marte stole 41 bases last season, for instance, yet was worth only +1.9 runs because he was also caught 15 times. 

It'll be interesting to see what Billy Hamilton can do with these numbers now that he's penciled in as the Reds' starting CF. He was worth +2.2 runs stealing bases last season, 8th best in the NL..... and he did that despite appearing in just 13 games.

Edited by nmigliore

Fangraphs has a stat that measures runs contributed through base stealing called wSB. The top base stealers in a year are generally worth something around +5 to +7 runs, but it's typically tough to do better than that. Per Fangraphs, since 1950, only 23 times has a player been worth +10 runs or more via base stealing alone in a single season. Ricky Henderson did it 4 times, Tim Raines did it 5 times.

It'll be interesting to see what Billy Hamilton can do with these numbers now that he's penciled in as the Reds' starting CF. He was worth +2.2 runs stealing bases last season, 8th best in the NL..... and he did that despite appearing in just 13 games.

I also don't know if anyone has attempted to measure the effect if any, of a fast runner getting a pitcher off his game. At his best, I remember Jose Reyes giving pitchers fits while he was on first, but maybe it just appeared that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Armchair GM'ing:

D'Backs have a surplus of shortstops and are looking for a young catcher, Yankees have a surplus of catchers and are looking for a shortstop.  Would you try and pull of a trade centered around one of our catchers and one of these guys?

Didi Gregorius

Chris Owings

Nick Ahmed

Sergio Alcantara

Jose Munoz

Ahmed, Alcantara, and Munoz seem far off from the majors. I'd have interest in Gregorius or Owings for sure and I'd hope Arizona overrated a guy like Cervelli or Murphy (doubt Romine has value, and no way I'd move Sanchez here) to help facilitate some sort of deal. Both Gregorius and Owings are young and team controlled for years, both seem just below average offensively but they may be able to have value defensively. I don't think a move for either would hurt though I'd prefer Owings. 

Not a SS but for 2B long term I'd love to acquire Dustin Ackley out of Seattle. They seemed to rush him and stunt his development but I'd be interested in seeing Kevin Long work on his swing. Could be a nice buy low guy.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't wait for the game tonight. To make things even better, not only did Anna and Solarte beat Nunez for a roster spot, but Nunez has finally been DFA'd today. Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere so the Yankees are finally rid of him.

I'm also happy that Betances and Nuno made the bullpen.

Solarte is looking like a great decision. What happened to nunez? I've heard he took the demotion very poorly in scranton.

Great stuff from Tanaka last night and I expect him to only get more comfortable

I'm excited to see Pineda tonight

Yeah, I don't hate the fact that Nunez is gone too much; it says a lot about Nunez that the Yankees chose to deal him despite having a thin infield, and it says more about the Twins' infield that they gave up anything for him at all.

Is Miguel Sulbaran anything useful?

yea im suprised we got even a decent prospect for him.  looks like a lefty starter- could be a middle reliever.  still just 19, solid curveball

I'm thrilled that Nunez is out of the organization. Never understood the Yankees infatuation with him. Baseball Reference has Sulbaran listed at 5'10, 209 lbs but apparently he showed up to spring training even heavier than that. Baseball America says his stuff is pretty average but I noticed he has a good K/BB ratio. Seems like a fringe prospect at best, most likely organization filler. I'm just happy they got a body in exchange for Nunez.

I'm enjoying the Solarte hot streak while it's going on. I'd be surprised if he last the whole year on the team though.

Really encouraged by the first starts for Pineda and Tanaka so hopefully it'll be a sign of things to come.

I couldn't agree more. But seriously what was that. It was clearly something and Girardi was less than convincing in his post game interview

pineda claims it was dirt but it definitely looked like pine tar

the funny thing was when they interviewed ortiz and he didnt care. he said everyone does it haha. even farrell said it didnt affect the game. 

supposedly boston was accused of doctoring balls last year with lester, bucholz and i think tazawa