‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Everyone walks around like Lou's sh!t doesn't stink, and yeah it has it's share of ups and downs. For every John Madden there is an Ilkka Pikkarainen. For every Brian Rafalski or David Clarkson Signing, there is a McGillis/Malakhov overpayment. We've had some lean drafts over the course of the past 10 yrs, and just recently they appear to have gotten better. Lou gets a lot of credit for the 3 cups and the now 5 SC finals, but it's been a while since he's outsmarted or fleeced anyone in a trade.

You missed my point completely.

Um, they had like 30 guys play that season, only one of them is left. They didn't just get zapped by an anti-matter gun, the ones that didn't suck went somewhere else one way or another.

It renders your point moot, you said they don't lose guys but Lundqvist is the only one left from that team, where did they go?

I understand your overall point but the Rangers aren't a good comparison. They are finally getting good home grown talent that they hadn't even had for years.

but none of their really good players that they value have hit July 1. Did Lundqvist in a similar situation hit July 1? He was one a 1 yr deal and was taken care of shortly after January 1 in his walk yr.

Take the Rangers out of the comparison. Tell me another team who has lost so many top flight free agents, or even let them get to July 1st.

Zajac is going to be the next one if Lou isnt careful Him and and sh!tty policy of not negotiating in season is just dumb.

Um, they had like 30 guys play that season, only one of them is left. They didn't just get zapped by an anti-matter gun, the ones that didn't suck went somewhere else one way or another.

It renders your point moot, you said they don't lose guys but Lundqvist is the only one left from that team, where did they go?

Reading comprehension? I said let the top players go to free agency.

I can't see how anyone is surprised by this. Zach did not hire new agents last July because he was staying. Buying a new home in Minnesota in the past year was more evidence.

I don't disrespect Zach for this. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

That being said, I think Minny made a terrible mistake today. This contract has Scott Gomez times 13 years all over it. Suter is nothing without Weber. This is Wade Redden times 13 years.

Even with these signings they are still a borderline playoff team. It will interesting to see how Lou plays his hand now.

• Like 1

but none of their really good players that they value have hit July 1. Did Lundqvist in a similar situation hit July 1? He was one a 1 yr deal and was taken care of shortly after January 1 in his walk yr.

Take the Rangers out of the comparison. Tell me another team who has lost so many top flight free agents, or even let them get to July 1st.

Zajac is going to be the next one if Lou isnt careful Him and and sh!tty policy of not negotiating in season is just dumb.

Reading comprehension? I said let the top players go to free agency.

That team didn't have ANY top players? I can think of one top player on that team they did not resign. Can you? The top 4 scorers all left via FA. Hell, two teams tried to sign one of them and had a big brawl about it.

That team didn't have ANY top players? I can think of one top player on that team they did not resign. Can you? The top 4 scorers all left via FA. Hell, two teams tried to sign one of them and had a big brawl about it.

What team are you talking about - i said over the past 10 years or so

What I've learned from F/A recently?

It's just not worth it. You will almost certainly overpay for one of the top tier free agents.

ALSO

Do whatever it takes to not let your best players get to July 1st. Get an absolute decision before the first, whether it be that the player wants to stay, or leave. None of this "Oh don't worry, you're still in the running" bullsh!t. Because now Lou's going into scramble mode, and I hope he doesn't sign someone at an awful contract or make a rash trade.

Do you want to be a Devil? YES OR NO before July 1st.

Right on MadDog, fvcking right.

This is an emotional time for a lot of people. Maybe some other hockey fans here can go cuddle with their statistics tonight, but for the rest of us the next few days should be a nice time to vent.

I'm an emotional person. I love the Devils like a family member. Always have, always will. And when someone fvcks over a member of my family, they're dead to me. Zach Parise is dead to me.

Hey you wanna scream at something go scream at a tree or something im not in the mood

It's the same as talking to a tree. You keep perpetuating this fantasy that Lou didnt try to sign him. He did. And Zachs agents told him to wait for free agency. That's what their job is.

Oh I agree completely, just saying the Rangers haven't really had anyone of any worth besides Lundqvist and I think he would have stayed no matter what, he clearly loves being in New York.

but yeah you are right, it's happened way too much over the years. Parise, Gionta, Martin, Gomez, Holik, Neids, list goes on and on. It's frustrating.

I can't see how anyone is surprised by this. Zach did not hire new agents last July because he was staying. Buying a new home in Minnesota in the past year was more evidence.

That being said, I think Minny made a terrible mistake today. This contract has Scott Gomez times 13 years all over it. Suter is nothing without Weber. This is Wade Redden times 13 years.

Even with these signings they are still a borderline playoff team. It will interesting to see how Lou plays his hand now.

This..is not the post I expected you to make today Manta.

Very well said.

Everyone walks around like Lou's sh!t doesn't stink, and yeah it has it's share of ups and downs. For every John Madden there is an Ilkka Pikkarainen. For every Brian Rafalski or David Clarkson Signing, there is a McGillis/Malakhov overpayment. We've had some lean drafts over the course of the past 10 yrs, and just recently they appear to have gotten better. Lou gets a lot of credit for the 3 cups and the now 5 SC finals, but it's been a while since he's outsmarted or fleeced anyone in a trade.

I was right there with you until the last sentence. Kovachuk, Salvador, Ponikarovsky and Zidlicky were all great trades. My issue is with free agency. Hes been guilty of overpaying both existing players and marginal unrestricted free agents. regardless of the circumstances, off the top of my head I can't think of another GM that has lost two captains and two talents the quality of Niedermayer and Parise in the last 10 years. The reports you hear from free agents saying they've not even heard from LL can be maddening.

Edit: I see you've clarified your position in the 10 minutes it took me to write those 4 sentences.

Edited by Lateralous

Oh I agree completely, just saying the Rangers haven't really had anyone of any worth besides Lundqvist and I think he would have stayed no matter what, he clearly loves being in New York.

but yeah you are right, it's happened way too much over the years. Parise, Gionta, Martin, Gomez, Holik, Neids, list goes on and on. It's frustrating.

I dont think all of those names are very fair to include.

Nieds is obvious. Gionta, everyone expected to walk when it was his time. Martin, nobody wanted to give him the contract that he got + in hindsight, its a good thing we didnt keep him. Gomez was walking regardless. Holik I dont even remember the circumstances.

I agree we've lost a lot of high-profile free agents, but there were extenuating circumstances with lots of the guys we've lost. IMO the ones that sting the most and possibly could've been handled better are Nieds and Parise. I don't even think there was a way to save Nieds other than bringing over Rob. Burke knew this was a selling point to Scotty and refused Lou's proposals for Rob a few times.

Nieds is obvious. Gionta, everyone expected to walk when it was his time. Martin, nobody wanted to give him the contract that he got + in hindsight, its a good thing we didnt keep him. Gomez was walking regardless. Holik I dont even remember the circumstances.

I agree we've lost a lot of high-profile free agents, but there were extenuating circumstances with lots of the guys we've lost. IMO the ones that sting the most and possibly could've been handled better are Nieds and Parise. I don't even think there was a way to save Nieds other than bringing over Rob. Burke knew this was a selling point to Scotty and refused Lou's proposals for Rob a few times.

but we still lost them all, maybe some of them could have be signed up earlier in the year and some of them I wouldn't have wanted back but I understand his overall point. It's frustrating as a fan to see these guys grow up and then leave.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I watched the Kovy press conference and maybe it's me but back then ZP looked unhappy and as if he did not want to be there. Only thing that pisses me off is he took the C if he had any question of staying or going or gave a shi!t about the organization he could have told Lou that he was not ready to accept it, instead his big ego said take it. I hope you never see the captaincy ever again Zach. You just don't deserve it!

It's interesting and not something that has been discussed much today. If Lou offered Zach the same contract he did on July 1st, say in February, Zach Parise is probably a New Jersey Devil.

i do not agree because by that time, there was simply no reason for parise to accept any contract. while i still believe the 7/50 story i was told (that he was ready and arnott/meehan said to wait), it was obvious they were right. lets say lou offered him 12/84 (which is about what i would imagine lou offered) in february. his agents most likely say the same thing - that deal will be there for you. go to UFA and see if there's more. and that's probably when they told him he could probably get a package deal w/ suter if that was appealing to him.

simply put - this came down to suter. if he told parise, "you know what, i'm gonna go to detroit" or "i'm staying put in nashville.", parise is a devil FOR SURE. that being said, we'd be happy today that he was back but we'd be hating this deal or anything of its ilk in about 4 or 5 years.

what moves would you make?

Of the three Holik, Gionta, Gomez, Holik was the one Lou played the hardest for and lost out because of the money. Gomez was never offered a contract and Gionta went to the highest bidder where Lou had a max he was going to give him.

I was right there with you until the last sentence. Kovachuk, Salvador, Ponikarovsky and Zidlicky were all great trades. My issue is with free agency. Hes been guilty of overpaying both existing players and marginal unrestricted free agents. regardless of the circumstances, off the top of my head I can't think of another GM that has lost two captains and two talents the quality of Niedermayer and Parise in the last 10 years. The reports you hear from free agents saying they've not even heard from LL can be maddening.

Nieds was a capt for more than one year and did not shove crap about being a team guy, it's not about the money and how much respect he had for the captaincy. I do agree about LL, but still do not respect or consider ZP a captain or ex capt he never deserved that C.

Let's be realistic, he got near max for the first two years of his deal and $94M over 10 years. How much extra money could he possibly have gotten? He only gets $4M less than Crosby over the first 10 years of HIS new contract. This is the stuff where he can dig himself a big hole because it's just total bullsh!t.

Yeah, the only team he could have gotten more money from is the Wild, maybe the Flyers but we don't know what their offer really was. But the Wild needed to give Suter as much of a payday to entice him from coming over, so instead of offering Zach 105-110 as was reported they give them both 98, bfd.

Eric Boulton and Petr Sykora are still on the roster though :giggle:

i do not agree because by that time, there was simply no reason for parise to accept any contract. while i still believe the 7/50 story i was told (that he was ready and arnott/meehan said to wait), it was obvious they were right. lets say lou offered him 12/84 (which is about what i would imagine lou offered) in february. his agents most likely say the same thing - that deal will be there for you. go to UFA and see if there's more. and that's probably when they told him he could probably get a package deal w/ suter if that was appealing to him.

simply put - this came down to suter. if he told parise, "you know what, i'm gonna go to detroit" or "i'm staying put in nashville.", parise is a devil FOR SURE. that being said, we'd be happy today that he was back but we'd be hating this deal or anything of its ilk in about 4 or 5 years.

That's if you buy Zach's line about the Devils being second on his list. I don't know if I'd take anything he said at face value after today.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.