Mayor Cory Booker: Devils owner let Newark down

Rock

I know this thread started as being relevant to the Devils and everything but... this thread is drifting further and further and further away from the Devils / Hockey. Maybe it's in the wrong forum at this point, or maybe I'm off base... just my opinion.

That's the problem...it is a Devil related issue that's happening, at least in part for political reasons. There's really little separating the two issues on this one. Just so long as the extreme elements on both sides don't turn it into a they suck, no you suck thread the way the last post kind of did.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's the problem...it is a Devil related issue that's happening, at least in part for political reasons. There's really little separating the two issues on this one. Just so long as the extreme elements on both sides don't turn it into a they suck, no you suck thread the way the last post kind of did.

I hear ya. I'll just keep my happy ass out of the thread and leave the more politically inclined folks to discuss. :)

Imagine if someone outside the Prudential Center was hurt in the next few weeks before or after a game because of this selfish act he just pulled?

Then he'll take the blame for it and will be publicly humiliated. But I think you guys aren't getting the whole story. Someone posted this on nj.com:

Everyone read the news article carefully--the City is not removing the Police at the Arena on game days...just removing the Police whose role was literally to stand in front of the Arena on Mulberry and make sure people didnt drive down it when it was blocked off. Not blocked off...no need for additional security. They should have done this long ago. The traffic on the adjacent streets is horrible on game days because of the loss of Mulberry as an exit out of the city for the downtown office workers.

I've been a STH for three seasons now and take the train every game. Not once from Penn Station through Gateway and around any area around the building have I ever felt uneasy or pestered by anyone.

I've gone myself or with family and its been the same. We take in the enjoyment and don't worry what others do.

Ill say it again this time on a message board. Its the suburbanites who live in their little bedroom community "shell". NJ is full of upper middle class white families who are ridiculously ignorant and afraid of their own shadows.

Great post and the bottom paragraph is ridiculously true.. I remember in 8th grade my baseball team had to go play in the Ironbound.. You wouldn't believe how many parents freaked out citing "drugs and violence" as a way of trying to get the game canceled.. Many of the mothers hadn't even left western Essex county in years.. Years!!!

These are the same parents who were popping their "legally prescribed" pain killers and getting drunk in their homes.. So easy to put themselves on a pedestal.. It's disgusting how racist and hypocritical some suburbanites can be..

Just read NJ.com next time something pro-Newark gets written.. You'll vomit from the "I don't go to Newark because I'll get shot or my children will be kidnapped and raped" comments

Booker was on NPR today and discussed the matter a bit. As far as pulling back police presence he said there will be 6 less officers and Mulberry st. will no longer be shut down. He said this is something they had planned on doing for some time. Booker said he is not mad about the ruling of the arbitrators and understands that it is legal stuff that will work itself out. He is mad because apparently Mr. Vanderbeek made some promises back in 2004-2007 that he has not kept. However, I think it is important to note that those promises were made before the economic collapse which has hurt the Devils and undoubtedly Mr. Vanderbeek as well. It could just be the case that the organization and Jeff do not currently have the means to fulfill those promises. Below is the article which includes a link to the audio.

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/new-jersey-news/2012/apr/10/booker-defends-public-feud-devils-owner/

Just read NJ.com next time something pro-Newark gets written.. You'll vomit from the "I don't go to Newark because I'll get shot or my children will be kidnapped and raped" comments

Too late. Take a look at the comments at the article on America's Got Talent coming to the NJPAC. How clueless and sheltered are these people?

The only thing that bothers me about having less police at the Rock is crossing the street, which can really be dangerous with less of the NPD presence. I wouldn't worry about getting robbed or mugged. That's highly unlikely.

You know, the way Booker whines you'd think he plays for the Penguins...

Just read nj.com comments in general and you will lose your faith in humanity. The most vile, cynical, bigoted stuff.

66952341.jpg

Haha! Huckstering like a boss!

Edited by devlman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mulberry Street closed during events at the arena due to concerns about a possible terrorist attack because the Department of Homeland security and/or the Newark PD determined that the arena was built too close to the street and therefore presented a security risk from a possible car/truck bomb. I remember reading something about it before the arena opened in 2007 and, if that is true, I don't see what has changed in the past 5 years that would warrant the removal of the officers and re-opening of Mulberry unless the building was secretly picked up and moved back a few hundred feet without anyone noticing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mulberry Street closed during events at the arena due to concerns about a possible terrorist attack because the Department of Homeland security and/or the Newark PD determined that the arena was built too close to the street and therefore presented a security risk from a possible car/truck bomb. I remember reading something about it before the arena opened in 2007 and, if that is true, I don't see what has changed in the past 5 years that would warrant the removal of the officers and re-opening of Mulberry unless the building was secretly picked up and moved back a few hundred feet without anyone noticing.

I thought the same as well.

I did a quick search and here is the NJ.com article on it.

My link

Mulberry has been closed for arena events over potential terroist attack concerns and the proximity of the building to both Edison Place and Mulberry Street. Can't say I'm surprised that cry baby Corky is conveniently leaving that fact out, like he conveniently leaves out the fact that the City has yet to construct triangle park in accordance with the arena's development agreement, yet blames the Devils for all of their unfulfilled promises that do not contractually bind them to do anything.

I know a terrorist attack at the Rock is unlikely, but that safety measure was put in for a reason before the building opened. Nice of the Bookerman to create a safety risk for the millions of people who visit his absolutely garabage dump of a city each year. And this is why I believe 90% of all politicians are scumbags.

The NPD barricades on Mulberry have nothing to do with terrorist threats. The bumpers on Edison Place and those stone blockades on the sidewalk in front of the arena do, however.

The NPD barricades on Mulberry have nothing to do with terrorist threats. The bumpers on Edison Place and those stone blockades on the sidewalk in front of the arena do, however.

Your incorrect. Read the article I found and linked to in a earlier post. The closing of both streets has EVERYTHING to do with security concerns over possible terrorist attacks through the use of truck bombs.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Yeah, they originally wanted to leave the street open, it was a construction botch. Someone will eventually get hit by a car crossing Market, and this genius has put it out in the open that he stopped the traffic cops. The eventual huge lawsuit will be more money Newark can't afford to lose.

Most likely Newark would be immune from such a suit. If anything the Devils would be on the hook.

There is no law that says the streets around an arena need to be blocked off and/or have a police crossing guard stationed on them. Neither the City nor the Devils could realistically be held liable for such an accident if 1 was to occur (although we live in America and we all know that a frivolous suit would be filed against BOTH entities regardless, especially since Newark owns the arena and the surrounding streets).

Most likely Newark would be immune from such a suit. If anything the Devils would be on the hook.

Market street is the Devils property? After the mayor made such public comments out of spite? Yeah, good luck with that.

Edited by maxpower

lol looks like there were some protesters who tried to chain the arena doors shut

nj.com

What a bunch of idiots. It shows how uninformed those people of Newark that they interviewed are. Same goes for that lady with the bullhorn. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see if this becomes a routine thing. Occupy Pru Center? Gimmie a fvcking break.

Edited by Satans Hockey

lol looks like there were some protesters who tried to chain the arena doors shut

nj.com

sharp james woulda made a better deal.

sharp james DID make that deal.

well i don't know if he did or didn't make that deal, but sharp james woulda made a better deal.

it is so clear that booker was grandstanding for his electorate. what's sad is that he is a good speaker and, while certainly left of center on the political spectrum, he has a powerful personality.

What a bunch of idiots. It shows how uninformed those people of Newark that they interviewed are. Same goes for that lady with the bullhorn. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see if these becomes a routine thing. Occupy Pru Center? Gimmie a fvcking break.

My thoughts exactly. They believe a mayor who has basically done little for Newark except making easy decisions instead of supporting an arena that has encouraged at least a decent amount of improvements and growth in a bad economy.

These people were screwed by the city of Newark before the arena ever was even imagined. Corey is just providing a face to scapegoat.