GDT: Islanders @ NJ Devils 1PM 11/26/11

newarkdev01

According to this board, apparently the Devils would've won the Cup last year if only we still had Nic Bergfors and Johnny Orrduya instead of Ilya Kovalchuk.

Gotcha. Good to know.

I see. The argument is that the Devils aren't any worse with the $100 million wonder. What an endorsement. He could run for president against Obama with that kind of endorsement.

I see. The argument is that the Devils aren't any worse with the $100 million wonder. What an endorsement. He could run for president against Obama with that kind of endorsement.

Kovalchuk as a 6% shooter is maybe an even player or a little worse. Kovalchuk as his normal shooting self is a 2 to 3 wins per season player.

The officiating was pathetic. Someone on the team needs to speak up on this. But then again this is how the league always treats us. Im not surprised they disallowed the goal. I am surprised they didnt make us forfeit another draft pick for making them review our legit goal.

Count Briere's goal, count Boll's, but not Parise's. BS.

Oh, and Kovalchuk was horrible once again. And thats not just because of his turnover. He is invisible the entire game nowadays. He is bringing down Parise on that line.

Edited by devlman

The officiating was pathetic. Someone on the team needs to speak up on this. But then again this is how the league always treats us. Im not surprised they disallowed the goal. I am surprised they didnt make us forfeit another draft pick for making them review our legit goal.

Oh, and Kovalchuk was horrible once again. And thats not just because of his turnover. He is invisible the entire game nowadays. He is bringing down Parise on that line.

He was the primary assist on HenriqueNation's goal.

Your posts are becoming unreadable. Almost laughably so.

It's no secret that you, for some reason, hate all things Kovalchuck, so I usually take most of your posts with a grain of salt.

But seriously, trying to justify that Parise 'belongs' moreso than Kovy at this point is comical. Zach has done nothing this year, and have others have stated, Kovy's game is much more durable.

Im seriously all for shipping out Zach right now. I hope he changes my mind.

Kovalchuk as a 6% shooter is maybe an even player or a little worse. Kovalchuk as his normal shooting self is a 2 to 3 wins per season player.

Watching from a macro level, I generally see Kovalchuk as a dangerous player on the PP, and not so dangerous at even strength. Maybe the stats don't back me up. But I see too many invisible shifts.

Count Briere's goal, count Boll's, but not Parise's. BS.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

He had two assists, 4 shots, and got his pocket picked by Grabner that led to the SHG, how is that invisible? But you're right, he is bringing down Parise. It couldn't possible be the other way around or the simple fact that they probably shouldn't be playing together in the first place.

He was the primary assist on HenriqueNation's goal.

Oh im sorry he got an assist today, he must be playing well :rolleyes:

Sorry for the above sarcasm but aside from the Larsson goal Kovalchuk hasnt justified his 24 minutes of ice time per game or his salary. He looks tired and is usually a non-factor game in, game out.

So you think Kovy is invisible but not Zach? This post pretty much sums up why I need to employ a more liberal use of the ignore button.

Parise is busting his ass down low on the cycle, forecheck. Hes getting great scoring chances but just not burying them. Kovy doesnt do much 5 on 5 to help us with our offensive zone time. He hasnt even been shooting enough. That said, Parise isnt playing great either, but still better than Kovy.

Except that if he hadn't missed 5 games to injury, he'd be tied with Parise right now for most shots on the team, by a lot. Even with his injury, he's still 2nd. You're right, what a non-factor.

I guess therein lies the difference between what you consider to be a factor and what I consider to be a factor. Low-percentage shots, especially those which kill a good cycle and lead to an exit out of the offensive zone (after youve contributed near-zero to the forecheck), dont make you a factor.

Edited by devlman

Parise is busting his ass down low on the cycle, forecheck. Hes getting great scoring chances but just not burying them. Kovy doesnt do much 5 on 5 to help us with our offensive zone time. He hasnt even been shooting enough. That said, Parise isnt playing great either, but still better than Kovy.

This post highlights the ignorance that's prevalent on most of this board. Parise and Kovalchuk are two COMPLETELY different playing styles. Parise has worse hands, less speed, but is gritty and gets success off of never-ending persistence and board work. Kovalchuk has much more finesse and raw skill and creates most of his chances off the rush or beating players 1-on-1. At the end of the day, they both do plenty for this team in different ways, but Kovalchuk manages to get 99% of the flak.

• Like 1

I guess therein lies the difference between what you consider to be a factor and what I consider to be a factor. Low-percentage shots, especially those which kill a good cycle and lead to an exit out of the offensive zone (after youve contributed near-zero to the forecheck), dont make you a factor.

Kovalchuk's career shooting %: 14.4. Parise's career shooting %: 11.4. Yep, you're right - Kovalchuk definitely takes much lower quality shots than Parise.

Edited by Amberite

This post highlights the ignorance that's prevalent on most of this board. Parise and Kovalchuk are two COMPLETELY different playing styles. Parise has worse hands, less speed, but is gritty and gets success off of never-ending persistence and board work. Kovalchuk has much more finesse and raw skill and creates most of his chances off the rush or beating players 1-on-1. At the end of the day, they both do plenty for this team in different ways, but Kovalchuk manages to get 99% of the flak.

I'll just go-ahead and nevermind having a discussion on this. Youre clearly too emotional and Im not in the mood for taking name-calling today.

Edited by devlman

Kovalchuk's career shooting %: 14.4. Parise's career shooting %: 11.4. Yep, you're right - Kovalchuk definitely takes much lower quality shots than Parise.

Not to stoop to your hormonal emotional level but this has to be one of the most irrelevant statistics referenced.

I'll just go-ahead and nevermind having a discussion on this. Youre clearly too emotional and Im not in the mood for taking name-calling today.

Not to stoop to your hormonal emotional level but this has to be one of the most irrelevant statistics referenced.

Good job on trying to slink out of a losing argument by making nonsensical comments about my "hormonal emotional level" (?).

Edited by Amberite

while we are here whining about Kovalchuk not producing at 6.6m

if you look at all the players with a bigger or similar cap hit, some are having great season and other arent, since its kinda hard to gauge since some have less or more game, so i went with points % per game played

most of them have a better % than Kovy but they all have a bigger cap hit too, so there's 20 players with the same or higher cap hit than kovy... 10 of them have a better% while obviously 10 a similar, a have worst or a way worst %

Kovalchuk 6.6m / 76%

Ovechkin 9.5m / 77.2%

Staal 8.2m / 41.6%

Nash 7.8m / 77.2%

Lecavalier 7.7m / 77.2%

Heatley 7.5m / 59%

Gaborik 7.5m / 85%

Stamkos 7.5m / 109%

Gomez 7.3m / 30.7%

Vanek 7.1m / 113%

Spezza 7m/ 90.9%

Iginla 7m / 47%

Thornton 7m / 105%

Marleau 6.9m / 100%

Kopitar 6.8m / 104.3%

Koivu 6.7m / 59%

Datsyuk 6.7m / 86.3%

Backstrom 6.7m / 113.6%

Semin 6.7m / 47.6%

Richards 6.6m / 80%

Stastny 6.6m / 60.8%

also you have to remember that Kovy is perfect in the shootout 4/4 and we have a few wins because of it... of course there's also games we have lost because of him turning the puck over but... in term of production of course it could be better... but could also be way worst

edit: also Zach is at 54% at 6m...

Edited by SterioDesign

I think what he meant to say is that Kovy will be a better player as they age. I think it was JasonMacIssac who compared Parise to Drury, which actually makes complete sense. Both play(ed) high energy games and players like that no doubt slow down with time

I don't know why he would compare Drury with Parise.

Pat Verbeek aged pretty well, by the way, and he took a ton of punishment in his career. He dished some out, too, though.

Now, I wouldn't exactly compare Verbeek and Parise as identical, except that they both never stopped moving their feet and they both were/are willing to pay the price to score goals. And I'd take either over Kovalchuk.