Can we get some line speculation going here please?

njdevsftw

I'm pretty excited about the recent additions (granted I was about Brunner/Ryder as well so wtf do I know), but I am having a hard time figuring out how our lines will actually look after this. Could I get some heavyweights to weigh in? I'll make a feeble first attempt.

Zubrus, Zajac, Jagr

Cammalleri, Elias, Havlat

Clowe, Henrique, Ryder

xxx , Rutuu, Brunner

CBGB?

Yeah I gotta agree with that sentiment. I think with Ruutu and Cammalleri on the team, Zubrus may end up on the third and fourth line most of the season barring injuries or a slump for Ruutu. Beyond that it's a pretty tricky lineup to figure out.

Rutuu, Zajac, Jagr

Cammalleri, Elias, Henrique

Clowe, Josefson, Havlat

Zubrus,Gionta , Ryder

Brunner

?

Edited by devils102

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Havlat
Clowe-Josefson-Ruutu/Ryder/Brunner
Carter-Gio-Zubrus
Bernier

Greene-Merril
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zids

Here's why.  Cammalleri will add some speed to the possession game that Jagr and Zajac have shown they can play.  Camms can also help that line with finishing and I think they'll do a lot of damage.  May have to worry about defensive responsibility, but Zajac has shown he can really carry a line defensively.  Henrique and Elias are another pairing that you want to keep together.  Henrique put up 25 goals last year playing a lot with Elias, add in Marty Havlat and hopefully the chemistry is there.  I'd realy like to see Yayo start out the season as a 3rd line center.  He can win draws, is a responsible defensive player and hopefully this is his year.  Clowe can play with Zajac and Jagr as well, but that's a whole lot of slow on one line.  Then you have Ruutu as well.  That's a 3rd line that can check, score(dear god hopefully), and when either Clowe or Havlat goes down due to injury, we have Brunner and Ryder who can jump into spots.  At least with how the roster stands right now.  I'm hoping Carter comes back but I have a feeling the Rangers are in on him, but I like Gio, Carter and Zubs for the fourth line.  They basically just have to not be scored on a lot.  Zubrus gives the line size, and can play physical like Carter and Gio.  It might be a stretch to get him to do that with how his body is breaking down, but it would be great if he can kind of fall into that role.  The defense speaks for itself and is pretty set.  There will be growing pains, but I think Merril and Larsson are very ready an will be okay.  Gelinas hopefully can perform in limited minutes with Salvador, who can be that fall back guy for Gelly and hopefully teach Gelinas how to be more sound defensively.  I think that is in Sal.  

i think its evident that havlat will be playing with elias. i wonder if cammalleri will be first line or not

Yeah, definitely.

I think it's too early to project lines as I doubt we go into camp with this roster. However, there are things I would like to see:

Henrique playing wing - he's much better there

Zubrus for PK and 4th line only.

Havlat playing with Elias

Cam given the first crack to play with Jagr and Zajac

Ruutu given the next shot if that doesn't work out

That said, I really do think Lou is trying to pry Kane away from Winnipeg. Give them a first, a defensemen of their choice, Ryder/Brunner, and Boucher if necessary. Ryder gives them a live body and someone who could score 20 off the bat.

Kane Zajac Jagr

Cam Elias Havlat

Henrique Ruutu Clowe

Zubrus Gionta Bernier

Brunner

Swap Havlat and Henrique if Havlat struggles mightily

Yeah, definitely.

I think it's too early to project lines as I doubt we go into camp with this roster. However, there are things I would like to see:

Henrique playing wing - he's much better there

Zubrus for PK and 4th line only.

Havlat playing with Elias

Cam given the first crack to play with Jagr and Zajac

Ruutu given the next shot if that doesn't work out

That said, I really do think Lou is trying to pry Kane away from Winnipeg. Give them a first, a defensemen of their choice, Ryder/Brunner, and Boucher if necessary. Ryder gives them a live body and someone who could score 20 off the bat.

Kane Zajac Jagr

Cam Elias Havlat

Henrique Ruutu Clowe

Zubrus Gionta Bernier

Brunner

Swap Havlat and Henrique if Havlat struggles mightily

It would be the 2015 first and I don't know if any team is going to give that up lightly.  I just don't see a big trade like that happening.  You really hurt the teams defense if you give up one of our young Dmen.  I can see Brunner or Ryder being traded for a 2nd or 3rd, but that's probably stretching it.  I think this is the year where the Devils want to actually grow and develop their youth, not trade it away.  They had to do it in 06-07 when Parise, Zajac, and Martin were emerging players.   

From a playing style, sure. By all accounts Kovalchuk was a good teammate.

Lou will never acquire Kane.

Never say never.  I'm sure people would have been saying the same thing if someone ran the possibility of Kovy coming to New Jersey by this board.  I wouldn't put it past Lou, but we don't have the assets to acquire Kane.  Lou isn't going to give up any of the young defenseman, minus Gelinas.  

Kane is the antithesis of everything the Devils believe in.

Yeah I think Lou has an eye on Winnipeg, but I think its Blake Wheeler that's the target. Lou tried signing him when he was a college free agent, and he's the type of player Lou loves. Whether he can get him or not is another story, but that's the guy I believe he's after if we're gonna make a trade. Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah I think Lou has an eye on Winnipeg, but I think its Blake Wheeler that's the target. Lou tried signing him when he was a college free agent, and he's the type of player Lou loves. Whether he can get him or not is another story, but that's the guy I believe he's after if we're gonna make a trade.

I could see Wheeler coming here before Kane.  He wouldn't require as much at least.  Send Ryder, a high pick, and one of our young defenseman.  Boom, we have another winger who can pot 30 goals.  

I could see Wheeler coming here before Kane. He wouldn't require as much at least. Send Ryder, a high pick, and one of our young defenseman. Boom, we have another winger who can pot 30 goals.

On the contrary- Wheeler wouldn't be a cheap expenditure. He's a very good player. He'd cost a premium. Edited by MadDog2020

Okay, my shot:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Has to be this at the get-go unless it just doesn't work in practice.  Jagr will get Cammalleri 30 goals if they both stay healthy.

Ruutu-Elias-Havlat

I don't love this, but I don't see much choice off the jump.  I don't like Clowe with Havlat.  I don't like Clowe with Elias, either.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder

Clowe Ryder worked until it didn't, and these guys need someone with speed playing with them.  I liked Clowe with Brunner but I think they will keep Ryder and let Brunner go wherever he ends up.

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Bernier'll probably start out the opening night RW, but he could easily be replaced by someone else.  Zubrus jumps in whenever anyone in the top 9 gets hurt.

EX:  Josefson, Sislo

Josefson starts out in the press box if he's even on the team - he might still sign elsewhere.  Sislo makes for a good 14th forward to start the year.

Okay, my shot:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Has to be this at the get-go unless it just doesn't work in practice.  Jagr will get Cammalleri 30 goals if they both stay healthy.

Ruutu-Elias-Havlat

I don't love this, but I don't see much choice off the jump.  I don't like Clowe with Havlat.  I don't like Clowe with Elias, either.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder

Clowe Ryder worked until it didn't, and these guys need someone with speed playing with them.  I liked Clowe with Brunner but I think they will keep Ryder and let Brunner go wherever he ends up.

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Bernier'll probably start out the opening night RW, but he could easily be replaced by someone else.  Zubrus jumps in whenever anyone in the top 9 gets hurt.

EX:  Josefson, Sislo

Josefson starts out in the press box if he's even on the team - he might still sign elsewhere.  Sislo makes for a good 14th forward to start the year.

Hard to argue with this. Maybe a good camp by Sislo or Josefson give them a shot over Bernier. Will be disappointed if it isn't clear to the coaching staff where Zubrus should begin the season. But like you said, any injuries and I expect him up in the top lines.

They probably should give Josefson a long look this season for a number of reasons. It's time to decide whether they think he's worth keeping around. The Devils don't think he's ready to be a full-time NHL player yet, but they also realize he's probably too valuable to lose via waivers. I don't think they are going to waste another year from him like they did last year, keeping him with the big club, while hardly giving him playing time. It really would not make sense. It's also pretty scary to think about our aging group of forwards. It's not just Jagr, Elias, and Zubrus. Other than Henrique, I think our only forwards under 30 are Zajac, Bernier, and Brunner (all of whom are 28-29). Young talent isn't easy to come by, either. We might as well experiment with the younger players in the system who could probably do just as good of a job as some of the veterans. Who cares if some mistakes are made along the way if these are the players who may make up the core forwards in the future.