David Clarkson

Zubie#8

I don't know how much David Clarkson you've seen but the only reason he's in the NHL is because he's a smart player with great character.

Smart player and smart person are two different things. I would gather that you think Joe Thornton is a smart player but I've also read that he is kind of a bonehead. I said nothing about Clarkson's character. Anyway, I retract my comment about Clarkson being kind of dumb. I don't want to get into it.

He is my least favorite player on the team except for when he goes after Avery. Other than that I haven't really been sold on him since he came into the league. I'm not gonna sit here and say he sucks because he is obviously infinitely better than I am, but for a while he did not much more than take bad penalties and try wraparounds and toe drags that rarely worked. I think he was better last year though.

I wish I could put just a small itty bitty b!tch slap on all you Clarkson haters. You know, something kind of meaningful but not that agressive that you'd attack me back?! Thing is, Clarkson is the only person on this team that will bring ANY element of agitation since CamJan. This team needs that spark plug, think Claude Lemieux, to succeed. For that fact, almost any team in the NHL needs it.

I'm a huge Clarkson fan so yes I am biased, but I love his wrap around attempts, his toe drags, and his inability to stay on his skates. That said he has much more worth on this team then some are giving him credit for. He WILL be a Devil for life as he should be, he will annoy the sh!t out of the opposition, as he should, he will fight whoever he deems fit to fight. As to those who have said he only fights those that are smaller then him...I don't see that as true, Check out hockeyfights.com once in awhile...

Edited by Coorslight

I don't know how much David Clarkson you've seen but the only reason he's in the NHL is because he's a smart player with great character.

You have got to be kidding me, he has some of the worst hockey sense I have seen out of a winger. To be effective, all Clarkson needs to do is move the puck early and go to the net. There are a lot of similar players in the NHL that will do that. He refuses to do that because he thinks he is an offensive dynamo.

You have got to be kidding me, he has some of the worst hockey sense I have seen out of a winger. To be effective, all Clarkson needs to do is move the puck early and go to the net. There are a lot of similar players in the NHL that will do that. He refuses to do that because he thinks he is an offensive dynamo.

He does not even think that! He's just trying to keep 'em off balance.

One day it'll all click and he'll have a massively banner season! THEN he'll think he's an offensive dynamo and everything will go out the window and he'll get a bad attitude and find himself on waivers... I see this coming in the next three years. but it's well worth it. There's a heck of a lot to be said for a certain amount of sentimentality.

What does what I said have to do with hockey sense? Is intelligence on the ice is what compensates for his lack of "hockey sense"

What does what I said have to do with hockey sense? Is intelligence on the ice is what compensates for his lack of "hockey sense"

:unsure: Does anyone know what the heck this means?

What does hockey sense have to do with being a smart player? :unsure: umm... kind of .... everything, yeah?

This board has me so confused these days... it's like you're all me.... is it a ploy? Are you all in on it?

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 2 months later...

Glad this thread got bumped.

What a poor hockey player Clarkson is. Just no talent whatsoever and guy just routinely dumps puck in and expects everyone else to do the work to get him an easy puck in front of the net. Guy can't even skate or shoot and we are paying him 2.7 million a year for another two seasons after this one.

Thank god MacLean got fired. The mutual admiration society between him and Clarkson was sickening.

Hopefully we can find one stupid GM to take him.

This.

You can't hate the guy, since he has shown he likes being a Devil. But at the same time, he seems pretty hopeless out there.

Of course he likes being a Devil. We are the only organization stupid enough to pay him his ridiculous contract. And when you get a significant dollar figure and cap hit assigned to you as a player, all the little smiles and right comments to the media don't mean jack when you cannot hack it at the NHL level. Clarkson is an AHL level player, pure and simple.

Nobody hates the guy from a personal perspective. He's likable.

I'm sorry but between the Rolston deal, the Clarkson giveaway contract, and a host of other things, Lou has got to go. I cannot accept him being GM anymore (and it pains me to say that). I've tried wrapping my head around giving him a shot to get out of this, but his tenure since the lockout has been abysmal. People knock Sather, but Lou is right up there with him, if not slightly ahead. His player and coach evaluations have gone to crap, his valuations have been atrocious from a cap perspective. Lou is toast. My George Young analogy stands.

One day it'll all click and he'll have a massively banner season! THEN he'll think he's an offensive dynamo and everything will go out the window and he'll get a bad attitude and find himself on waivers... I see this coming in the next three years. but it's well worth it. There's a heck of a lot to be said for a certain amount of sentimentality.

I think the banner season has already occured...last year. Granted, he was injured for a pretty significant time, but he put up some solid numbers before going down.

Now he just seems unwilling to do what he used to do to be successful..

Ship him off for some picks, i don't see him earning that nearly 3m contract. Unless a MAJOR breakthrough occurs, which seems unlikely to me.

He's overpaid and trying to live up to the contract, which is to his credit, except he's not good enough and never will be. When he was fighting for a job, he was happy to do all the little things right, fighting, hitting, battling for loose pucks and not expecting to score. He was better than the average 4th line grinder, and could keep up with a guy like Zubbie and get the most out of him. Now he feels the need to score, and is getting in the way of better players because he sucks at skating and has a mediocre shot to boot. He'll never be worth the money, but he'll be worth SOMETHING if he goes back to playing like a 3rd/4th line pest and stops trying to be something he's not.