Peter Nedved: I Need Bigger Goals

Blackjack

Petr Nedved says the NHL should look at increasing the size of the goal in order to try an increase scoring in the league.

"In this league, goals are hard to come by, people used to score 50 goals; now they're scoring 30. And unless they do something about it, it's going to be like this every year."

When a reporter foolishly noted that quite a few players will probably score 50 goals this year, Nedved screamed "BUT NOT ME!" then lay face down on the floor, flailing his arms and kicking his legs yelling "it's not fair!"

Nedved has scored at least 20 goals in each of his five seasons with the New York Rangers since being traded by Pittsburgh back in 1998. He has managed to hit the 30 goal plateau just once in New York, two years ago. In almost two seasons with the Penguins, he had 33 and 45 goals.

"I don't think the league is going to make the nets bigger, but I don't see how else the puck is going to go in the net," said Nedved, as he practiced shooting at the broadside of a barn.

"How many posts do we hit every game? Those would be goals if they made the nets a little bit bigger on each side." Nedved paused as his fourth consecutive shot clanged off the crossbar

"They should make the nets a little taller too."

Nedved says if the league is unwilling to tamper with the dimensions of the net, he'd like to see a crack down on the goaltenders equipment.

"Look at the goalies. A good shot from outside just doesn't cut it anymore. You have to be up close and personal to score. You shoot from the blue line these days, and you're just not going to score. Just think of all the shots that hit the goalie's shinpads. If the goalie didn't have shinpads on, they would be goals."

Forget bigger goals, just crack down on goalie equipment. Ditch these huge chest and shoulder protectors, cut down on the size of blockers, make sure none of the jerseys are loose fitting.

a_snow_i.jpg

look at Garth Snow, this is a joke!

and this is Felix Potvin from the early 90's, he's not a small goalie, but this pic makes him look like he is. Normal sized shin pads, normal sized blocker and glove, no shoulder pads or elbow pads that stick up 4 inches like Snow's.

felix.jpg

the NHL has let the goalies cheat for too long, it's time to crack down.

Its pretty well known that Snow also wears the biggest pads in the game, so thats the extreme case. Hell, he needs all the help he can get anyway.

Leave the goals as are, but down on the pads these guys wear, put the tag up rule back in and weve got a start. Kill the instigator rule while we are at it for kicks. We have got an entirely new ballgame folks, or should i say puck game. Im now even more in favor of brining back the tag up rule after seeing how many less whistles there are in games that have it. Ive been watching a lot of college hockey and they still employ it, and it makes the games very exciting, a lot of forechecking and defensemen better know what they are doing.

Its pretty well known that Snow also wears the biggest pads in the game, so thats the extreme case.  Hell, he needs all the help he can get anyway.  

Leave the goals as are, but down on the pads these guys wear, put the tag up rule back in and weve got a start.  Kill the instigator rule while we are at it for kicks.  We have got an entirely new ballgame folks, or should i say puck game.   Im now even more in favor of brining back the tag up rule after seeing how many less whistles there are in games that have it.   Ive been watching a lot of college hockey and they still employ it, and it makes the games very exciting, a lot of forechecking and defensemen better know what they are doing.

I agree with Sarge. His suggestions would improve the game. 7's correct about the goalie pads. If the NHL makes these additions, it should help.

I disagree about changing the height of the net. That's too artificial.

Hi Zam. If anyone should be complaining about the size of the net, it's Elias :evil:

Hey, in saying the goals should be bigger I in no way meant that there shouldn't be a crackdown on goalie's pads. Crack down on pads first, then see if the goals should be bigger. I think you'll see a minor difference in the amount of goals scored - particularly against the Isles - but not much. Few years go by, goalies keep getting better, you all might be singing a different tune too.

The goalies are much better than in years past. Why doesn't the NHL make the rinks and the nets bigger. oh wait that would be just like soccer and those guys never score. Screw it, fix the goalies pads. ;)

Forget bigger goals, just crack down on goalie equipment. Ditch these huge chest and shoulder protectors, cut down on the size of blockers, make sure none of the jerseys are loose fitting.

a_snow_i.jpg

look at Garth Snow, this is a joke!

:lol: You should see Brett Johnson's shoulder pads. C and Jerry will know what I'm talking about, xie calls him big T*ts!

135241734.jpg

look how wide luongo's pads are, what a joke

luongo.jpg

goalies shouldn't look like this, I mean he's practically a skating fortress.

remember how lanky tall goaltenders used to look? You had Hextall, Burke, Dryden etc. Now this Luongo guy is also tall and lanky but here he looks like the michelin man. The goaltenders have cheated for too long! :soap:

This reminds me of an Atom and His Package song about how he wanted to gain 250 pounds and play in the NHL.

"In hockey you must score a goal/Which can not happen if between you and the net there's no hole/Some goalies are fast, react at the drop of the hat/But they can't get past me when I got so much fat!

What do you do when you weigh four hundred pounds

You play goalie

What do you do when you weigh four hundred pounds

You play goalie"

etc etc