Derlique

Here's what Im worried about:

Parise (30 goals)

Poni (10 goals)

Sykora (20 goals)

Clarkson had a career year and I expect him to score 10 less

Elias is aging

Henrique could hit a sophomore slump

Off the bat you have to replace roughly 60 goals. Now, Zajac will add 15 and our 4th line combined should do the same. That means we have to rely on Josefson, Tedenby and Zubrus to do the same.

Here's what Im worried about:

Parise (30 goals)

Poni (10 goals)

Sykora (20 goals)

Clarkson had a career year and I expect him to score 10 less

Elias is aging

Henrique could hit a sophomore slump

Off the bat you have to replace roughly 60 goals. Now, Zajac will add 15 and our 4th line combined should do the same. That means we have to rely on Josefson, Tedenby and Zubrus to do the same.

Parise and Sykora ate PP ice time, you place Henrique, Tedenby and Josefson on the PP and they will get a lot of easy PP goals. The Devils probably won't score as much this season but their team defense maybe stronger. Josefson and Zajac are very very good defensive centers and a full season of both with an improving defense will do wonders.

Parise and Sykora ate PP ice time, you place Henrique, Tedenby and Josefson on the PP and they will get a lot of easy PP goals. The Devils probably won't score as much this season but their team defense maybe stronger. Josefson and Zajac are very very good defensive centers and a full season of both with an improving defense will do wonders.

I'm also optimistic having Shaw and Zidlicky a full year on our pp. I'm confident Henrique can fit in on our pp, but I don't think Josefson or Tedenby are good enough shooters to make a difference

I'm also optimistic having Shaw and Zidlicky a full year on our pp. I'm confident Henrique can fit in on our pp, but I don't think Josefson or Tedenby are good enough shooters to make a difference

Tedenby is ideal for Parise's position on the PP. He will need to earn it but his shiftiness will create a lot different options on the PP that Parise couldn't with his hard work attitude. Josefson may get 2nd PP ice time and his vision should help others score.

To elaborate re: Sykora - I dislike re-signing him because I doubt he'll reach 20 goals again this season. Probably closer to 15. And when he's not scoring, he's not actively contributing to the team in other ways. Unfortunately, short of a trade, there aren't really any other wingers on the UFA market that could even be counted on for 15 goals and mesh into the Devils' system easily. Eric Fehr is a gamble... terrible offense last year after shoulder surgeries, but decent defense and physicality down the stretch; Andrei Kostitsyn is an enigma... he'll give 15 goals, but who knows if he'd buy into the system; Andrew Brunette is a million years old, ditto Mike Knuble.

He's the safe choice, though. If Lou really wanted to gamble on in-camp competitions and add depth, I could see re-signing Sykora and also giving Kostitsyn a shot. The latter requires probably too much $, though.

Fehr would be more of a Lou signing. Big kid, former first round flameout reclamation project...Lou loves taking on these kind of cases

Fehr would be more of a Lou signing. Big kid, former first round flameout reclamation project...Lou loves taking on these kind of cases

I would be completely fine with that or Bobby Butler, re-sign Sykora as well since he will still be cheap.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Sykora Elias Zubrus

Fehr/Butler/Tedenby Josefson Clarkson

CBGB

Edited by Zubie#8

Still a lot of question marks about Josefson's ability to stay healthy. I'll believe he can handle the rigors of an NHL season when it happens.

I believe for the most part injuries of that such are just bad luck. There have been many cases of players getting injured early in their career and staying healthy for prolonged stretches. All Josefson's injuries seem to be of the fluke variety.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so it's possible the Flyers just had a worse offseason than the Devils at this point. Flyers Twitter is reporting that Andrej Meszaros just suffered a torn achilles tendon, same as Zajac's last year, will likely miss until AT LEAST beginning of 2013.

What a nightmare. They don't get the Weber deal, Holmgren pisses off the rest of the NHL managers in the process, and now they lose another d-man.. Losing Matt Carle hasn't helped their case either, and Pronger's pretty much done. We just know which team in the East and Atlantic Division is going into next season a much worse team.

Wow, so it's possible the Flyers just had a worse offseason than the Devils at this point. Flyers Twitter is reporting that Andrej Meszaros just suffered a torn achilles tendon, same as Zajac's last year, will likely miss until AT LEAST beginning of 2013.

What a nightmare. They don't get the Weber deal, Holmgren pisses off the rest of the NHL managers in the process, and now they lose another d-man.. Losing Matt Carle hasn't helped their case either, and Pronger's pretty much done. We just know which team in the East and Atlantic Division is going into next season a much worse team.

Do not feel bad whatsoever for them but I do feel bad for Meszaros, he is a solid defenseman.

Whats their defense look like now?

Timmonen Schenn

Coburn Grossman

Lilja Gervais

Gustafsson Bourdon

Manning

That looks awful.

Edited by Zubie#8