Devils @ Sens 7PM Play'n out the String

msweet

No offense, but everyone knows how good it is. That's why we don't mention it. It's obvious.

So then you are responding in general to something that didn't happen. Directing your anger the wrong place and time. You should be angry at the posters who have told you (not DR26 he is late to this fight and trying to act like someone is denying that Cory is great) that Marty is the main problem. It'll get you thinking that as long as Cory starts we're good. Clearly it's been a shock for ya'll this past stretch of games in which it didn't matter how well Cory played.

Did I ever say as long as we play Cory we will be good? No, BUT he gives us the best chance to win and that is all that matters. I will always speak my mind when needed and vent wherever I would like to. I'm a very level headed poster but this issue has driven me up a wall, his comments to the media just makes it worse. Edited by Zubie#8

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're turning into Mike Brown arguing both sides of the point...you argue against people who say Marty was a big problem and then you claim you agree with it :blink:

Uh no. I am arguing that a lot of people on here are making up the other side's argument. What I have posted clearly makes sense. Clearly. That Marty has been a problem yes, but it hasn't been the monstrosity of a problem that it's been made out to be. In the end, getting our players to score is # 1 by far.

Did I ever say as long as we play Cory we will be good? No, BUT he gives us the best chance to win and that is all that matters. I will always speak my mind when needed and vent wherever I would like to. I'm a very level headed poster but this issue has driven me up a wall, his comments to the media just makes it worse.

No one disagrees minus what, 2 posters on this board?

I still stand by Marty being the biggest problem...kind of. The scoring was based on how the team was made up and once the season started and with how late Kovy left, this really hasn't had a chance to be adequately handled yet. The year just had to be ridden out with the roster more or less the same. The shootouts, well there's no way that could've been predicted. I mean, I don't think anyone thought we'd excel at them, but to be this bad was never a thought for anyone. However, Marty getting as many starts as he did could've been easily prevented because it 100% within the team's control. Funny thing is, though he was the biggest problem, it's really not even his fault. It's the fault of Pete or Lou or whoever kept rolling him out there over a superior Cory. Marty was a huge problem when he was out there, but the bottom line is he shouldn't have been out there in the first place and there were guys who could've prevented it who didn't. Essentially the "Marty problem" was more of a "Coach/GM problem", but that doesn't change that it was the worst problem for this team this season.

Edited by PWW

Everyone knew that the Devils weren't goign to score this year.  That's why they got a goalie last year - so that Brodeur wouldn't embarrass the franchise by leading this team to a horrible finish in a year when the Devils didn't have a 1st round pick.  Which by the way he would have had Hedberg or whatever dross they would've chosen to go with to ensure that Brodeur is once again the de facto #1 guy regardless of how he is playing.  Can you imagine this team with 60 games of Brodeur at .900?  Good lord.  Right to the bottom of the standings.  

Watched the replay of the game at 2 AM. Pretty frustrating to see Ryder score in a meaningless game. Watch this guy end up with his 20 goals now that it doesn't matter.

I can't believe we pissed away a 1.97 GAA and .921 save %. God fvcking damn

Since the NHL started tracking SV% in 1983-84, Schneider has the least amount of wins for any G that played at least 40 games, had a sub 2.00 GAA, and a .920+ SV%. Can't imagine how infuriating that has to be for him. (Source) Schneider's GA%- now 92 and GSAA now +7.42.

Watched the replay of the game at 2 AM. Pretty frustrating to see Ryder score in a meaningless game. Watch this guy end up with his 20 goals now that it doesn't matter.

Since the NHL started tracking SV% in 1983-84, Schneider has the least amount of wins for any G that played at least 40 games, had a sub 2.00 GAA, and a .920+ SV%. Can't imagine how infuriating that has to be for him. (Source) Schneider's GA%- now 92 and GSAA now +7.42.

I was going to post something along the lines of "Now watch Ryder score five goals in the last three games of the season or something like that."  fvck him.

I know it's damned near impossible to get inside players' heads, but I wonder what incentive Schneider possibly has to forego UFA.  I'm not saying he would rule out re-signing here after next year (especially if the team's improved and gets better offensively), I just don't see what he gains by re-signing this summer.  Lou's probably going to have to offer him max or something very close to it.   

i don't even want to think about going in next season with Schneider not already extended. Would not be the worst thing in the world on paper but it's yet another stress that we'd have to deal with. I'm really sick of how the last few seasons went. It was like a constant stress always waiting for something to happen.

i don't even want to think about going in next season with Schneider not already extended.

Everyone would rather this gets done, but I have hard time seeing why Cory would want to.  This might come down to him more than Lou.  If he turns down max or near max money because he's intrigued by the possibility of playing for the Penguins (MAF goes UFA the same time Schneider does), can anyone blame him? 

Everyone would rather this gets done, but I have hard time seeing why Cory would want to.  This might come down to him more than Lou.  If he turns down max or near max money because he's intrigued by the possibility of playing for the Penguins (MAF goes UFA the same time Schneider does), can anyone blame him? 

Absolutely not, i'd probably do the same to be honest.

If Lou screw this up though its the end of him. He absolutely cannot gamble or fvck around with this one.

Absolutely not, i'd probably do the same to be honest.

If Lou screw this up though its the end of him. He absolutely cannot gamble or fvck around with this one.

You take a big chance though.  If Cory gets significantly hurt next season, he could end up getting a fraction of what the Devils offer this summer or, potentially, nothing if its a career ending injury.  It's not necessarily likely, but it is a factor to weigh when you are talking about a max or near max offer. 

If I'm Lou, I make my best and final offer this summer.  If he refuses to sign the extension, I trade Cory away for picks/prospects (maybe to Anaheim for Gibson + a pick if they fail to win a cup this season) and go into full rebuild mode next season, as painful as it would be.  The consolation prize for having a terrible 2014-15 could be landing the first pick in 2015 and getting McDavid, which wouldn't be the worst thing for this franchise from both an on-ice/marketing standpoint.

At the same time it's also a big risk to take when playing another year: injury, not signing an extension causing us to trade him to a team that makes his stats look worse, etc. These things do happen and quickly. He's gone from playing behind what was at the time a Cup contending Canucks team to a Devils team that, while not a playoff team, has an excellent team defense. All told, he's had an easy ride of it in some ways. Not to say he's not an excellent goalie, because he clearly is, but I imagine his stats would suffer were he to have found himself in Edmonton or some such place where defense is something that other people do.

I was going to post something along the lines of "Now watch Ryder score five goals in the last three games of the season or something like that."  fvck him.

I know it's damned near impossible to get inside players' heads, but I wonder what incentive Schneider possibly has to forego UFA.  I'm not saying he would rule out re-signing here after next year (especially if the team's improved and gets better offensively), I just don't see what he gains by re-signing this summer.  Lou's probably going to have to offer him max or something very close to it.   

Absolutely none, unless we offer him a MEGA deal that his agent tells him won't be matched anywhere else

Unfortunately, with the team sucking and the way the goaltending crisis of 2013-2014 unfolded....I think he will leave

Other teams will be backing up the truck for him as well.   $$$$

I, for one, am glad Ryder is scoring. Lets hope he hits 20 and Lou can get someone to look at his overall numbers and take a bite.

"Must be doing something right to score 20 goals on a team with no offense"

It's time for a Jedi mind trick trade - it's been too long.

Would be great, but one look at his game log record (1 goal in 33 GP) will hurt a little.

He has value, but his value is down after a year like this...GMs are going to try to buy him cheap and hope for a bounceback year.  There's good reason for them to hope for that too...in 128 GP in '11-'12 and '12-'13, he scored 51 goals (32.7 goals per 82-game rate).  Interested GMs probably think playing for the Devils screwed him up, so by getting him off the Devils, he'll put up better numbers.  They just won't give up very much. 

I hate that he'll probably be back, because I don't like a guy basically doing zilch for weeks and weeks getting a free pass, but from a pure numbers standpoint, it probably makes more sense to see if he can bounce back here...much as I hate it. 

I, for one, am glad Ryder is scoring. Lets hope he hits 20 and Lou can get someone to look at his overall numbers and take a bite.

"Must be doing something right to score 20 goals on a team with no offense"

It's time for a Jedi mind trick trade - it's been too long.

That's a very loose definition of "is scoring" that you have.