Marty is now the "co-#1" goaltender - sharing duties

ghdi

It sounds more like Marty doesn't want to take on all these losses this season by himself. Just saying.

"But it's got to be fun for me to play hockey. Not winning is not fun. So if we get back to winning I'll play more. "

His attitude bugs me, and leaves me to question his character... not his skill... but he is bugging me more and more as he ages in the NHL.

Nothing wrong with this change. Coach has to ice the best team he thinks can get a W.

Father Time catches up with every athlete. The fall from leading the league in Wins & Shutouts as recently as last April to his now being abysmal is shocking.

But I would be surprised to see this suck continue next season. Part of that is my hope, but also I feel that rookies, & older veterans, can have lots of inconsistency . So like Jeter having an off year offensively in 2010, I too hope Brodeur returns to form next season. No matter what Brodeur is in the 11th hour of his career.

It sounds more like Marty doesn't want to take on all these losses this season by himself. Just saying.

Oh stop it, he also said he didn't deserve to play because he wasn't winning. And he handled his benching at the Olympics very well when there was far less of a reason to sit him :P

Either way there's no reason for Marty to play 98% of the games this year. And now we'll see how good Hedberg plays with that kind of 'pressure' of doing the unthinkable. He's been good in his starts, not so good in relief.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh stop it, he also said he didn't deserve to play because he wasn't winning. And he handled his benching at the Olympics very well when there was far less of a reason to sit him :P

Either way there's no reason for Marty to play 98% of the games this year. And now we'll see how good Hedberg plays with that kind of 'pressure' of doing the unthinkable. He's been good in his starts, not so good in relief.

Yeah....he was great the other night starting......he did stop 4 of the 7 shots he faced.....very good start I'd say.

• Like 1

I agree he shouldn't play 98% of the starts... I just want him to want to play and have management make that call that he isn't.

Does it really matter at this point? Everyone knows Marty's dictated his games played for years when we were winning, who cares now that we're 900 games out? If anything I'd rather he slowly step aside than be unceremoniously pushed out of the way for another 38-year old, he's earned at least that much although just about everyone here dislikes him now for some reason.

He's 38 and playing in meaningless games for the first time this year behind by far the worst defense that's ever played in front of him with his own skills dissapearing faster than ice melts. I often joke that he's like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon thinking 'I'm too old for this ****' whenever we have yet another defensive breakdown but it really has gotten to that point for him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Does it really matter at this point? Everyone knows Marty's dictated his games played for years when we were winning, who cares now that we're 900 games out? If anything I'd rather he slowly step aside than be unceremoniously pushed out of the way for another 38-year old, he's earned at least that much although just about everyone here dislikes him now for some reason.

He's 38 and playing in meaningless games for the first time this year behind by far the worst defense that's ever played in front of him with his own skills dissapearing faster than ice melts. I often joke that he's like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon thinking 'I'm too old for this ****' whenever we have yet another defensive breakdown but it really has gotten to that point for him.

In that sense where I bolded, you are incorrect. A lot of people, including on here have criticized Marty the last few years, but they usually got flamed to hell on this board, from name-calling to saying that we are not fans. Now that Marty is showing more and more why he needs to retire, it is getting harder to defend him. He is a product of the system, not the other way around. He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

In that sense where I bolded, you are incorrect. A lot of people, including on here have criticized Marty the last few years, but they usually got flamed to hell on this board, from name-calling to saying that we are not fans. Now that Marty is showing more and more why he needs to retire, it is getting harder to defend him. He is a product of the system, not the other way around. He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

There's a huge difference between defending his play THIS SEASON and running him out of town on a rail. It's more than just bashing his play, there's many people here with a personal dislike of him.

Yes at times he's got an ego (what big-name player doesn't?) and it's probably hurt the team some years the way Cal Ripken hurt the Orioles by his insistence on playing every game when he could have used a rest or Favre by playing when he shouldn't have - but for someone that's accomplished as much as he has he's still down-to-earth considering.

And if you're going to take his declining play at 38 years old as 'proof' that he's a system goalie I'm sorry, that's just insane.

Edited by NJDevs4978

He benefitted greatly from starting at least 75 games a year and playing the last few years in an era where ties do not exist.

He benefited from playing more minutes and playing the shootout? How so? Padding the wins record? He's already surpassed roy's marker with regulation wins alone.

The true beneficiaries of the shootout are the young kids coming in, who'll probably beat marty's record by their mid 30s if they start young and play often. It wouldn't surprise me if someone beats marty's record within the next 20-30 years

And if you're going to take his declining play at 38 years old as 'proof' that he's a system goalie I'm sorry, that's just insane.

This. But some people are always looking for a reason to diminish his accomplishments. Now more than ever, kick him while he's down I suppose

• Like 1

There's a huge difference between defending his play THIS SEASON and running him out of town on a rail. It's more than just bashing his play, there's many people here with a personal dislike of him.

Yes at times he's got an ego - what big-name player doesn't - and it's probably hurt the team some years the way Cal Ripken hurt the Orioles by his insistence on playing every game when he could have used a rest or Favre by playing when he shouldn't have - but for someone that's accomplished as much as he has he's still down-to-earth considering.

He has been declining since the last cup. I know you will post how many wins and his GAA on the seasons since, but he was helped A TON by the defense during those years. We will never know for sure how good of a goalie he really is, because in his prime he had quite a defense in front of him. Look at the Rags now. They have had over the past few years bad to average defense at best and Henrik has looked pretty good during those years. But since their organization does not insist on playing him 75+ games a season, he will never come close to wins and shutouts like Marty has in his career. Marty for the last few reasons has been in it to pad up his stats and now he is depressed because on this team he can no longer do it. I know he is saying the right things now, but deep down you can tell he is clearly not happy with himself or this team. Look at how he reacted after the last game.

• Like 1

This. But some people are always looking for a reason to diminish his accomplishments. Now more than ever, kick him while he's down I suppose

Acommplishments padded by playing way too many games a season, having a great defense in front of him for a vast majority of his career, and playing for a good part of his career when ties do not exist. He is a great goalie, and I will give you that, but his stats are very padded. His low GAA was easy to get when you have 2-1, 1-1, and 1-0 games druing the late 90's. Why else would you explain he never got a Vezina then when Hasek got them and Marty had superior stats? The GM's are not dumb and they see that Hasek was standing on his head every game while Marty was sitting back enjoying only about 20 shots a game.

• Like 2

He benefited from playing more minutes and playing the shootout? How so? Padding the wins record? He's already surpassed roy's marker with regulation wins alone.

The true beneficiaries of the shootout are the young kids coming in, who'll probably beat marty's record by their mid 30s if they start young and play often. It wouldn't surprise me if someone beats marty's record within the next 20-30 years

And how many games a season did Patrick Roy play? His career high was 68 games. Marty has played in at least 70 games a season 12 times in his career. Kinda easy to pad stats when you play many more friggin games.

• Like 1

Acommplishments padded by playing way too many games a season, having a great defense in front of him for a vast majority of his career, and playing for a good part of his career when ties do not exist. He is a great goalie, and I will give you that, but his stats are very padded. His low GAA was easy to get when you have 2-1, 1-1, and 1-0 games druing the late 90's. Why else would you explain he never got a Vezina then when Hasek got them and Marty had superior stats? The GM's are not dumb and they see that Hasek was standing on his head every game while Marty was sitting back enjoying only about 20 shots a game.

If you want to say that Hasek was better than Brodeur, I have no problem with you. You need to give Brodeur more credit for sustained excellence though.

• Like 1

If you want to say that Hasek was better than Brodeur, I have no problem with you. You need to give Brodeur more credit for sustained excellence though.

But is that sustained excellence from the system? Hasek sustained excellence on some pretty underwhelming Buffalo teams and defense but always kept them competative. Just saying it is hard to tell if Brodeur is THAT GOOD of a goalie when in his prime, he was on a Devils team that could have had a crash test dummy in net and still win.

• Like 1