Trading one of the Young Defensemen

sundstrom

No to Michalek who is a proven two way player, but you're willing to bet the house on Evander Kane who may or may not have potential. I don't know what Kane brings, but if it's anything like what he's done in WPG then they can keep him.

Did you see my post on Kane? He's not about potential, he's already a proven player who only stands to get better as he enters his prime. Michalek is leaving his prime and only stands to get worse. Michalek in his prime hasn't even been better than an early career Kane:

Points Per Game

Michalek - 2013-14: .476, 2012-13: .609, 2011-12: .779

Kane: - 2013-14: .651, 2012-13: .688, 2011-12: .770

Kane has a better points per game rate the past 2 seasons and a similar one 3 years ago. Over the past 3 seasons Michalek ranks 106th in points per game while Kane ranks 68th.

Goals Per Game

Michalek - 2013-14: .207, 2012-13: .174, 2011-12: .455

Kane: - 2013-14: .302, 2012-13: .354, 2011-12: .405

Kane has a better goals per game rate the past 2 seasons and isn't that far off Michalek's inflated 2011-12 season. Over the past 3 seasons Michalek ranks 55th in goals per game while Kane ranks 34th.

Focusing on Kane, he's already been around or above the 90th percentile in points per game and goals per game over the past 3 years as an age 20-22 player. He's signed at reasonable price till 2018. Kane's biggest weakness is being young and having a personality that rubs people the wrong way. Sure hope Lou can add more "character" players instead of guys with skill.

Michalek isn't a pure goal scorer. He's a two way forward. If you want a pure goal scorer then you go after Jokinen who has put up solid numbers even when he was on subpar teams.

Yeah, but I don't know....Ryder is suppose to be a "pure"  goal scorer too, but look where that got us.

You have to put yourself in the other GMs shoes for a second. what have you seen from our young defensive core to trade away a real NHL proven scorer for one of them??  we've de-valued larsson (or he has, himself). Gelanis played his way out of the top two pairings, and merrill has a small sampling and I dont think we move him anyway.

we have good hockey fans here on the board who dont know what we  have in these kids. (merrill being the exception) its a risky proposition,  imo, now is not a good window to move one of these kids from a value standpoint. somehow make room for fayne, remove a sal or volch, and revisit this next year

Did you see my post on Kane? He's not about potential, he's already a proven player who only stands to get better as he enters his prime. Michalek is leaving his prime and only stands to get worse. Michalek in his prime hasn't even been better than an early career Kane:

Points Per Game

Michalek - 2013-14: .476, 2012-13: .609, 2011-12: .779

Kane: - 2013-14: .651, 2012-13: .688, 2011-12: .770

Kane has a better points per game rate the past 2 seasons and a similar one 3 years ago. Over the past 3 seasons Michalek ranks 106th in points per game while Kane ranks 68th.

Goals Per Game

Michalek - 2013-14: .207, 2012-13: .174, 2011-12: .455

Kane: - 2013-14: .302, 2012-13: .354, 2011-12: .405

Kane has a better goals per game rate the past 2 seasons and isn't that far off Michalek's inflated 2011-12 season. Over the past 3 seasons Michalek ranks 55th in goals per game while Kane ranks 34th.

Focusing on Kane, he's already been around or above the 90th percentile in points per game and goals per game over the past 3 years as an age 20-22 player. He's signed at reasonable price till 2018. Kane's biggest weakness is being young and having a personality that rubs people the wrong way. Sure hope Lou can add more "character" players instead of guys with skill.

While clearly Kane > Michalek...the fact Kane's scoring has actually gone DOWN the last two years would be a big concern to me considering all we'd have to give up to get him.

I dont think we're in a position to be "picky"

were definently not, its no secret that we absolutely need to make some type of trade to bring in someone to help fill some empty holes, yet at the same time i would hate to see the house given away to do it so to say if you know what i mean. However i dont think lou would do that anyway, i dont think we will get any big exciting names in free agency and i dont think we will get any drastic trade either.. but hey you never know.. if we could scoop up one of the bigger names in FA this year maybe stastny? and make a pretty effective trade we could be a very different team for next season. Got to have some faith.