• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

Agree, getting blown way out of proportion. Until every TWENTY YEAR OLD hockey fan can honestly say they don't post stupid pics of themselves or their cars (referencing the Derek Roy hubbub) on Twitter or Facebook, then I'll expect the players to cool it down.

That being said, I've always known Evander Kane was a douchebag, too many stories coming out about him; would hate to be his teammate.

I'm 22 and I honestly don't. That being said, I'm quite paranoid about having my personal info on facebook. I don't post a lot of pictures of myself at all, there's maybe 30-40 where I'm visible at all, 20 of which I'm clearly identifiable in and pretty much none in which I'm doing anything besides maybe holding my guitar or maybe a beer. I've seen too many people my age post dumb pics where they're doing drugs, drinking to excess, them doing something stupid in their car, etc. I refuse to do allow facebook to see me doing any of those things because the cops check facebook, too many family members can could see what I do and I don't need people I don't know being able to identify me via my car. I'm probably a bit too paranoid though.

I mostly use facebook to slack off at work, post articles I find funny or interesting, besides that I don't need to make things too incisive or controversial because it can easily be a detriment to your life and career to have those things out in the open, even if they may be innocuous, others may not believe that. You have to be aware that perception is reality, especially in Kane's position where he's a person that people don't know on a personal level, because people will make assumptions about who you are based on the things they see and if they look a certain way, people will think that is who you are.

Do share!

(Since, you know, there's absolutely no news on the lockout)

This is a good place to start: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evander-kane-vs-haters-winnipeg-restaurant-controversy-maturity-171010484.html

Not to mention him just not giving a s**t in the KHL, supposedly showing up "out of shape". He's not the first young athlete with an attitude problem. People in the Devils fanbase aren't really used to this type of thing though because Lou either doesn't sign them, or they don't make it past being a Devils prospect. He also has some history of being a prototypical douchebag on Twitter on more than one occasion..

I'm 22 and I honestly don't. That being said, I'm quite paranoid about having my personal info on facebook. I don't post a lot of pictures of myself at all, there's maybe 30-40 where I'm visible at all, 20 of which I'm clearly identifiable in and pretty much none in which I'm doing anything besides maybe holding my guitar or maybe a beer. I've seen too many people my age post dumb pics where they're doing drugs, drinking to excess, them doing something stupid in their car, etc. I refuse to do allow facebook to see me doing any of those things because the cops check facebook, too many family members can could see what I do and I don't need people I don't know being able to identify me via my car. I'm probably a bit too paranoid though.

I mostly use facebook to slack off at work, post articles I find funny or interesting, besides that I don't need to make things too incisive or controversial because it can easily be a detriment to your life and career to have those things out in the open, even if they may be innocuous, others may not believe that. You have to be aware that perception is reality, especially in Kane's position where he's a person that people don't know on a personal level, because people will make assumptions about who you are based on the things they see and if they look a certain way, people will think that is who you are.

I'm 25, and I don't either haha.. It's more a general statement; people should cut him some slack, or at least not make it a big "OMGGGGG THE PLAYERS ARENT REALLY HURTING IN THE LOCKOUT!!!!!", same thing with Derek Roy and his new car. They have the right to share photos and accomplishments as much as anyone else. I wish I could go a day without seeing all my friends food, car, or party pictures on Facebook.

This is a good place to start: http://sports.yahoo....-171010484.html

Not to mention him just not giving a s**t in the KHL, supposedly showing up "out of shape". He's not the first young athlete with an attitude problem. People in the Devils fanbase aren't really used to this type of thing though because Lou either doesn't sign them, or they don't make it past being a Devils prospect. He also has some history of being a prototypical douchebag on Twitter on more than one occasion..

Oh, c'mon, plenty of Devils, prospects and players, have had an 'attitude problem'.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that virtually everything you do online will be examined by someone you don't want to. That goes for every email you write whether or not you think it will be kept private. It isn't an NSA kind of thing, it just comes from being a litigator where I can get every email you ever wrote by just putting a demand to you in writing.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that virtually everything you do online will be examined by someone you don't want to. That goes for every email you write whether or not you think it will be kept private. It isn't an NSA kind of thing, it just comes from being a litigator where I can get every email you ever wrote by just putting a demand to you in writing.

......with reasonable cause, right?

The Evander Kane Money Phone is hilariously blown out of proportion. Same with the guy who tweeted a pic of his new Ferrari. It'd be one thing if they were on strike, but they're locked out which is quite different.

Besides, reading about Kane who came from literally nothing now supporting his family and relatives makes it hard for me to put him in the "spoiled young brat" category.

......with reasonable cause, right?

It has to be "reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence." It's an extremely liberal standard. So you might not even be a party to a litigation, but I can subpoena all of your records that are remotely relevant to the case. And even if I can't, you would have to spend money on attorneys just to convince a judge of that if I chose to press the matter. It isn't pretty.

Basically, don't put anything in writing that you wouldn't want to see plastered on a billboard in Times Square. Charles Wang managed to avoid going to jail for that reason. He was, in all likelihood, guilty as hell in inflating the earnings of his company. His two partners were convicted. Wang never wrote an email, never wrote a memo and apparently never spoke on the phone.

I completely understand, thus my paranoia. My father is a attorney, so I've had some lessons in how the law works and I feel I have a decent grasp of it. With that being said, legally, anything on your facebook isn't private, so I absolutely assume that anything I put online will be seen. The only way to be sure a certain piece of info stays private is to keep it a secret. Though it's difficult in an age where mass collection of data is easier than just about anything. It's all about limiting access as much as possible because privacy laws are about preventing other people from actively violating your privacy, not passively collecting data that you have voluntarily given up. You can't be posting something like, "wooo it's 4:20, time to hit dat purp, yo!" because you don't know if a prospective employer might see that. You could lose the (potential)job of your life over something as silly as smoking pot once, months, maybe years ago.

On a similar note, Google has everything ever typed into the search bar, saved, along with the IP address used to search, and if you were logged into your Google account, your name and info is attached to it as well. These records have been subpoenaed again and again, so I know what I've typed into that box and you gotta imagine it's not that hard to paint a less than flattering picture of yourself by chaining together a few searches you've made in Google. That being said, they must have to look through 8 billion searches for ScarJo's hacked pics before they find anything worthwhile, lol.

On topic, sort of here, Evander Kane isn't a horrible person for taking the pic or anything, it's just something he could have done as a joke and not taken a pic of it and no one would have cared one bit. It was the fact that he needed to share THAT, of all things, that made it distasteful.

No surprise: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412031

The NHL is believed to be one step away from calling off another season.

The league has cancelled games through Jan. 14, bringing the total number wiped away by the lockout to 625.

That takes the NHL to the point where it must have a new collective bargaining agreement in place to salvage a 48-game schedule and playoffs that conclude by the end of June, something commissioner Gary Bettman has been adamant about.

@darenmillard

"Bottom line to @nhl announcement. Partners told puck must drop jan 14th, means D.D. Date 8 to 10 earlier. Let's hope for a ny eve resolution"

Edited by thefiestygoat

At least we're about two weeks away from ending this mess (or our involvement with it) once and for all now. It's laughable they still haven't announced a drop-dead date but everyone knows in the vicinity of when it is at this point. This has to be the last cancellation if they want to get in 48 games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm starting to really get irritated. I prepared mentally for a resolution by a few weeks ago. I didn't expect it to go this long.

I knew it was going to the last minute (at best) after they canceled the Winter Classic...although I allowed myself to believe for a day that it could be different during that gong show in NY a couple weeks back. They could have done something I thought was impossible and had a relatively nice, clean ending if it had been settled there with the moderates coming in on their white horses the way they did in the NFL and Crosby having a big part in it.

But when that got torpedoed (and in the spectacularly hideous fashion it did), I think that actually did more damage than the first two months of the lockout. It felt like the last straw emotionally to many people, even if there's somehow a last-minute settlement in a couple weeks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

At least we're about two weeks away from ending this mess (or our involvement with it) once and for all now. It's laughable they still haven't announced a drop-dead date but everyone knows in the vicinity of when it is at this point. This has to be the last cancellation if they want to get in 48 games.

That's the way I am viewing this right now. I never expected a season and will still be surprised if there is one, but at least within 2 weeks or so we can stop having to hear so much about it one way or the other.

I'm starting to really get irritated. I prepared mentally for a resolution by a few weeks ago. I didn't expect it to go this long.

Neither did I, but now that it's gone this long its end is inevitable before the drop-dead date. Way too close for things to go otherwise.

I don't get the discussion about why other players shouldn't/wouldn't care about top players not getting these lifetime deals. Top players get longer contracts = guaranteed money (sort of) = lower cap hit = more money for depth players.

Imagine if we'd signed Kovy to a 5-7 year deal. He would've had a 9-10m caphit rather than 6.67. That has an effect on the rest of the roster for sure.

Edited by Marshall

I don't get the discussion about why other players shouldn't/wouldn't care about top players not getting these lifetime deals. Top players get longer contracts = guaranteed money (sort of) = lower cap hit = more money for depth players.

Imagine if we'd signed Kovy to a 5-7 year deal. He would've had a 9-10m caphit rather than 6.67. That has an effect on the rest of the roster for sure.

Interesting; never saw it that way but makes total sense!

Except that without variance, term limits themselves don't affect the cap number anyway. If you're not able to offer $10 million and $1 million years in the same contract, having a term limit isn't going to affect payroll one iota. Crosby can get 5-50 just as easily as he could get 10-100, the only reason he and other stars have less of a cap hit is variance and back diving of contracts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.