Concerts

Devils Dose

Going to see the Dave Matthews Band (one of my wife's favorite bands) tonight at Izod Center. They are doing two shows, one tonight and one tomorrow.

The band has pledged $1 million, including the proceeds of all ticket and merchandise sales from tonight's show, to Sandy relief efforts through the Community Foundation of New Jersey.

From The Reocrd:

"When there's an emergency we definitely want to do everything that we can to help," violinist Boyd Tinsley said by phone. "The New York-New Jersey area in particular is very special to us. We worked our way up through the clubs there and came on the national stage on the David Letterman show. You guys are our people."

http://www.northjers...s.html?page=all

• 1 month later...

Not that the board has the demographic that likes such a band but Fall Out Boy is playing in NYC at Webster Hall tonight. I have not slept and looked for tickets everywhere to no avail. Every ticket is like $500+. They are my favorite band I am really upset that I missed my opportunity to get tickets.

Saw Flogging Molly in Silver Spring, Md. on Tuesday night. FM were great.  Openers Skinny Lister were unreal....totally stole the show.

Upcoming for me:

3/8:  Dropkick Murphys @ Electric Factory.

3/10:  Tossers @ North Star Bar.

Not really a concert, but almost... I saw "American Idiot" when it was in Schenectady last week.  It's already been to NJ, but it is in Philly starting last night and running the rest of the week.  The musical is an expansion of the story told in the namesake Green Day album and features all of the songs from it (obviously) plus a few songs from "21st Century Breakdown".  Much ass was kicked, and afterward my sister got her picture taken with the actor who played Johnny (the main character).

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed Starland Ballroom regarding improvements they should make during the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction (per their website - they were asking for ideas).  Anyway, here was my e-mail:

Saw your webpage, and the request for feedback on improvements.

I think you should invest in a top-end sound system.  The sound at the venue isn't horrible by any means, and I've experienced far worse over the years.  But I think going from adequate sound to superb sound is a world of difference.

I can't speak for other concert-goers, but I'll go out of my way to attend a concert where I know the sound is going to be amazing.  I live in an area of Pennsylvania that has virtually NO good venues, so I always have to travel upwards of two hours to see quality concerts.  I'm willing to put in additional driving time if I know the place I'm going has superb sound.

Just my two cents.  I can't wait to see Starland get back on their feet again.

All my best,

[NJCroMag]

And their encouraging response:

Hey [NJCroMag],

Thanks for your feedback.

Boy, you’re gonna be happy when you come back. [smily face emoticon]  (That’s all we can reveal right now!)

We’ll see you soon!

YES!  [fist pump]

I e-mailed Starland Ballroom regarding improvements they should make during the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction (per their website - they were asking for ideas).  Anyway, here was my e-mail:

And their encouraging response:

YES!  [fist pump]

You know it's a trap right?  Just checking.

• 1 month later...

Metal Alliance Tour this past weekend at Irving Plaza. Anthrax was the headliner; they played the Among the Living album in its entirety. West Coast legends Exodus came on right before them. I missed the earlier bands -- too busy having fun beforehand hanging out in the city catching up with an old pal.

Has anyone here heard of Orange Goblin?  I saw them last night at a bar/concert venue in Brooklyn called Saint Vitus.  They sound kind of somewhere between 80s Sabbath-style metal and Clutch, they were awesome.  The bar itself was great, it's a very small and intimate venue with pretty good craft beer on tap.  There is no backstage so the bands unpack and set everything up right in front of you and before and after their set they just hang out at the bar and watch the other bands with everyone else.  There were four openers and three of them were really good too.

In case anyone is interested, here's some info.

Kings Destroy, Roadsaw, and ASG were awesome bands I never heard of before.  The other opener, KEN Mode, I didn't really care for other than one or two songs.  They were more of a noisy screaming hardcore type of band and I'm not really into that kind of stuff and their sound didn't really fit in with the other bands.

Also I just bought a ticket for an annual metal festival in Baltimore called Maryland Deathfest.  My friend goes every year and this year he convinced me to go.  I thought it was all death metal which I don't really like but there are some awesome older metal bands that I never heard of before until my friend told me about them after seeing them on the lineup.  If you like old school metal, check out Pagan Altar and Manilla Road, especially the album Crystal Logic by Manilla Road, it is a masterpiece and deserves way more recognition than it gets.  Also Phil Anselmo's new band, Down, will be there.

Just saw Suicidal Tendencies, Sick Of It All, D.R.I. and Waking The Dead at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.

Fun time...made me feel like I was in high school again (except for the aching feet after standing around for four hours).

Just saw Suicidal Tendencies, Sick Of It All, D.R.I. and Waking The Dead at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.

Fun time...made me feel like I was in high school again (except for the aching feet after standing around for four hours).

They were all just in NYC last Saturday. Unfortunately I already had tix to a different show or else I would've liked to have checked them out.

I used to be a big Suicidal fan. Saw them many times. I know Mikey is the only guy left. How'd he and his band sound? Did they play a lot of old stuff? How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is one of my favorite albums ever.

Edited by 95Crash