2011-12 Albany Devils thread

Triumph

AHL Skills Competition: Urbom competed in the hardest shot with a shot of 91.4 MPH which was the slowest of the 8 competitors as well as the Pass and Score competition where his trio including Keith Aucoin and Kyle Palmieri scored 1 goal on 3 attempts against Matt Hackett.

Kalamazoo defeated Reading 5-1: Young (DNP), Haczyk (E, 4 Shots), and Clermont (41 Saves on 42 Shots - 2nd Star).

Elmira lost to South Carolina 4-3 in a SO: Pielmeier (26 Saves on 29 Shots, Stopped 1 of 4 in SO).

AHL Skills Competition: Urbom competed in the hardest shot with a shot of 91.4 MPH which was the slowest of the 8 competitors as well as the Pass and Score competition where his trio including Keith Aucoin and Kyle Palmieri scored 1 goal on 3 attempts against Matt Hackett.

Kalamazoo defeated Reading 5-1: Young (DNP), Haczyk (E, 4 Shots), and Clermont (41 Saves on 42 Shots - 2nd Star).

Elmira lost to South Carolina 4-3 in a SO: Pielmeier (26 Saves on 29 Shots, Stopped 1 of 4 in SO).

Keep up the good work feisty!

the AHL AllStar game is on MSG... wow is that place empty, i do feel bad for the players for that reason

My guess they announce around 7,000. I think it looks like a decent crowd. It's a larger venue. Ive been to many old bullies games, and one of Devils games last year. A 4-5,000 crowd is a decent atmosphere.

Wish I could have gone to this, scratching me head as to why this is on a Monday.

My guess they announce around 7,000. I think it looks like a decent crowd. It's a larger venue. Ive been to many old bullies games, and one of Devils games last year. A 4-5,000 crowd is a decent atmosphere.

Wish I could have gone to this, scratching me head as to why this is on a Monday.

The AHL is a weekend league, I don't think there's room in the schedule to skip an entire weekend, especially losing a weekend to Christmas.

i went to the events this weekend. it was neat hearing the devils pa announcer last night. the mascots were annoying as hell. we were on the glass and the binghampton senator guy kept fvcking with us. at one point he was pretending to scoot by everyone in the row and stuck his ass in all of our faces. when he did that, he knocked my brother's beer all over his girlfriend. some event staff chick came down and gave us some balled up nasty napkins and then walked away. what a pain.

the intermission was wonderfully pathetic. they had the mascots come on the ice and play a mini game. best part was one of them didn't realize he still had a cover on one of his skates so when he jumped onto the ice he busted his ass. got up, tried to skate and fell again. lol. they also failed on the whole chuck a puck exercise. everyone in the crowd just started hurling the pucks, pelting all the mascots and the kids that were on the ice trying to do a score-o type game. they had to make multiple announcements pleading for the fans to stop throwing the pucks ha.

urbom is huge. didn't realize how big he is.

Albany defeated Adirondack 3-0. Scoring for the Devils was Sestito (4) (Wiseman and Kinkaid), Harrold (2) (Veilleux and Zalewski), and Josefson (2) (EN, Wiseman and Gionta). Kinkaid had a 30 save shutout to go along with his assist to earn 1st star. Sestito and Harrold earned 2nd and 3rd stars respectively. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights and line-up below:

If anyone watched to the very end of the video, you'd have heard that this game set a Lowell/Albany franchise record with 8194 in attendance. Unfortunately, they were quieter than you'd think for a crowd that size, but the game itself was rather quiet, especially in the first two periods. It was the largest attendance figure for an Albany AHL game since March 15, 2002, when the River Rats lost to the Syracuse Crunch 5-2 in front of 8402 fans.

The AHL is a weekend league, I don't think there's room in the schedule to skip an entire weekend, especially losing a weekend to Christmas.

Exactamundo.

Kalamazoo lost to South Carolina 4-3 in a SO: Young (DNP - Medical Scratch), Haczyk (-1, 1 Shot), and Clermont (DNP).

Young: 25 GP 1 G 5 A 6 Pts +3 43 PIM 24 SOG 4.17 SH%

Haczyk: 43 GP 11 G 4 A 15 Pts +6 8 PIM 111 SOG 9.91 SH%

- Tied 4th on the team in Goals

Clermont: 16 GP 8-5-1-0 3.25 GAA .901 SV%

- Ranks 25th in GAA and 22nd in SV%

- Kalamazoo is currently 1st in the North Division and 3rd in the Eastern Conference with 53 points.

Elmira lost to Wheeling 4-1: Pielmeier (DNP).

Pielmeier: 20 GP 9-7-1-1 2.97 GAA .907 SV%

- Ranks 16th in GAA and 15th in SV%

- Elmira is currently 1st in the Atlantic Division and 2nd in the Eastern Conference with 54 points

Albany lost to Connecticut 3-2 in the teams' final match up of the season. Scoring for the Devils was Gelinas (8) (Veilleux and Zajac) and Whitney (12) (Zajac and Veilleux). Kinkaid stopped 21 of 24 shots. Veilleux has 4 points in his past 3 games (1-3-4). As I mentioned in the other thread Harrold was a healthy scratch indicating he is being called up. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights below:

Their next game is Saturday against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7:05.

Kalamazoo lost to Toledo 5-4: Young (DNP - Medical), Haczyk (DNP - I'm assuming medical), and Clermont (Stopped 33 of 38 Shots).

Elmira lost to Wheeling 4-3 in a SO: Pielmeier (Stopped 32 of 35 Shots, Stopped 5 of 7 in SO).

Getting to Saturday's action a bit late:

Albany lost to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Palmieri (4) (Zalewski) and Urbom (2) (Palmieri and Tedenby). Frazee stopped 16 of 20 shots. Albany is playing with 5 defenseman with Leach and Corrente injured, Harrold in NJ, and Young injured in Kalamazoo. Here is the gamesheet.

Their next game is Friday against Hamilton at 7:30.

Kalamazoo defeated Toledo 4-0: Young (DNP - Medical), Haczyk (DNP - I'm assuming medical), and Clermont (DNP).

Elmira lost to Chicago 2-1: Pielmeier (DNP).

Also, In Lou We Trust did a fantastic job breaking down AHL goalies with their even strength save percentage estimates. A ton of great info in there so I suggest checking it out.

Albany defeated Hamilton 4-2. Scoring for the Devils was Zalewski (10) (PP, Harrold and Wiseman), Wiseman (5) (Zalewski and Urbom), Perkovich (7) (PP, Zalewski and Harrold), and Palmieri (5) (EN, Sestito and Mills). Kinkaid stopped 26 of 28 shots. Wiseman and Gelinas were named 1st and 3rd stars respectively. Corrente returned to the line up for the 1st time since 12/27 which was part of a 3 game stretch he played in (12/21-12/27) after getting hurt initially on 11/11. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights below:

Their next game is Saturday against Syracuse at 7:30.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Albany defeated Syracuse 4-1. Scoring for the Devils was Zharkov (7) (SH, Sestito), Veilleux (10) (PP, Gelinas and Sislo), Tedenby (1) (Harrold), and Perkovich (8) (EN). Pielmeier stopped 37 of 38 shots earning 2nd star. Zharkov earned 1st star. Ex-Devil Mark Fraser served as an alternate captain for Syracuse and was a +1 with 4 shots and 2 penalty minutes. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in the highlights if they are posted.

Their next game is Sunday against Providence at 4:05.

Kalamazoo lost to Greenville 5-2: Young (-2, 5 PIM - Fighting), Haczyk (-2, 2 Shots), and Clermont (35 Saves on 40 Shots - All 5 goals allowed in 1st period).

Is much known about Pielmeier? I know his stats don't look great, but I did not realize that he's so young. I wonder what the chances are of him making it. I guess more starts in the AHL will tell us.

This is just my speculation but I feel like the Devils may not tender Pielmeier a contract after this year. They'll still have Frazee and Kinkaid in Albany or one of them backing up in NJ. They'll also have Clermont in the organization who would be stuck back in the ECHL if Frazee and Kinkaid are in Albany. I'm going to guess that Wedgewood turns pro so who knows where they fit him in but I think he'd move ahead of Clermont on the depth chart and they'd want him in Albany. It looks like too much of a full house to bring Pielmeier back.

Albany defeated Providence 3-1 to complete a sweep of all 3 weekend games. Scoring for the Devils was Veilleux (11) (PP, Tedenby and Palmieri), Sestito (5), and Zharkov (8) (EN, Mills). Kinkaid stopped 37 of 38 shots including a penalty shot to earn 1st star. Sestito earned 2nd star. Here is the gamesheet. I'll edit in the highlights if they are posted.

Their next game is Wednesday against Syracuse at 7:00.

Kalamazoo defeated Gwinnett 4-3 in a SO: Young (E, 1 Shot), Haczyk (Assist, +1, 2 Shots), and Clermont (DNP).

Albany Notes:

Defenseman Matt Corrente, out since Dec. 27 because of hamstring injury, returned to the lineup, although Kowalsky kept him out of the middle game of the trip against Syracuse.

Nathan Perkovich, who had been out since Jan. 18 because of an upper-body injury, made his return a week ago Saturday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, although he was kept out of Sunday’s game in Providence.

Still sidelined are defensemen Jay Leach (lower body; out since Dec. 16) and forwards Matt Anderson (upper body; Jan. 16), Stephen Gionta (ankle’; Jan. 28) and J.S. Berube (upper body; Jan. 21).

Of those players, Berube is the only one likely to return soon. Kowalsky said Berube is near 100 percent healthy but will need to skate more before he sees game action.

Kalamazoo defeated Cincinnati 4-3: Young (Assist, +3, 2 PIM - Cross-Checking), Haczyk (+1, 2 Shots), and Clermont (DNP).

Young: 29 GP 1 G 6 A 7 Pts +4 55 PIM 3.85 SH%

Haczyk: 46 GP 11 G 5 A 16 Pts +6 8 PIM 9.40 SH%

Clermont: 18 GP 8-7-1-0 3.46 GAA .897 SV%

Elmira defeated Wheeling 3-2 in OT: Pielmeier (28 Saves on 30 Shots, 2nd Star).

Pielmeier: 22 GP 10-7-1-2 2.91 GAA .909 SV%

Albany lost to Syracuse 7-1, ending their recent hot streak. Scoring for the Devils was Zajac (7) (Hoeffel and Nagy). Kinkaid started and played just 31:01 making 15 saves on 19 shots and Frazee played 28:59 in relief making 7 saves on 10 shots. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Their next game is Saturday against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7:00.

Trenton lost to Reading 6-5 in a SO: Stoesz (-1, 1 Shot, 4 PIM - Hooking, Roughing)

Note: AHL names Whitney January Player of the Month

Albany defeated Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 3-0. Scoring for Devils was Gelinas (9) (Zajac and Tedenby) and (10) (EN/PP, Zalewski and Perkovich) and Sestito (6) (PS). Frazee stopped all 32 shots he faced earning his 2nd shutout. Frazee, Sestito, and Gelinas earned the 3 stars in that order. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Note from highlight video: "First, the team defeated the Adirondack Phantoms, 3-0, in front of 8,194 on Jan. 28. Then they knocked off North-Division leaders, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with 8,114 fans in the building Saturday night."

Their next game is Sunday against Binghamton at 4:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Gwinnett 4-3 in a SO: Young (Goal, SH Assist, +2, 1 Shot), Haczyk (SH Goal, Assist, E, 4 Shots - 3rd Star), and Clermont (27 Saves on 30 Shots).

Elmira lost to Trenton 8-1: Pielmeier (7 Saves on 10 Shots in 30:13 of relief) for Elmira and Berube (Hat Trick, +2, 4 PIM - Roughing Slashing, 6 Shots - 2nd Star) for Trenton.

Albany defeated Binghamton 4-2. They have now won 5 of their past 6. Scoring for the Devils was Sislo (8) (Whitney and Mills), Zalewski (11) (PP, Perkovich and Whitney), and Zharkov (9) (Mills and Tedenby) and (10) (EN, Whitney and Sestito). Kinkaid made 27 saves on 29 shots. Zharkov and Mills earned 1st and 2nd stars. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Their next game is Monday against Bridgeport at 1:00.

Kalamazoo lost to Chicago 4-3: Young (Goal, +1, 2 Shots - 3rd Star), Haczyk (-2, 1 Shot), and Clermont (19 Saves on 23 Shots).

Harry Young is regarded as a defensive defenseman destined to be a career minor leaguer but he has put together some point production lately. Over his last 4 games he has 2 goals and 2 assists. Good for him.

Who is Joe Whitney and why isn't anyone talking about him? He leads the team in points and he's a RW. Why hase't he gotten called up yet but we still see Palmeiri? Different roles I guess?

Albany signed Joe Whitney as an undrafted college free agent out of Boston College over the summer. The biggest obstacle for him to overcome is his size, listed on the AHL website as 5'6 170 lbs. Despite this he has been producing a solid rookie year in the AHL.

Season: 48 GP 12 G 17 A 29 Pts -2 22 PIM 10.17 SH% 2.46 S/G

Obviously because of size and experience, the NJ Devils would rather have Palmieri up for a 4th line role.